Past Zach Tuohy

Remove this Banner Ad

Speaking of.. Who was the last player we traded/ left the club that played in a premiership? I'm really struggling to think of the last. Was happy Laidler didn't get a medal last year, Kennedy missed out with the Eagles.. Anyone know?
Crosswell - 4 flags, 2 at each club.

When you think about it it makes some sense getting him

We need quick HFF types so he and Sumner and Buckley and Pickett etc all are hopefuls in terms of skilled runners

Beggars can't be choosers so we hope these guys come good - they all have something to like

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...d/news-story/689060cda29a423602bce9c9c66d501c

Carlton was home. Until the locks were changed.
The Blues presented Tuohy with a three-year contract that shocked him.

“It was sub-par, very sub-par. Almost insulting,” he said.
“It made it virtually impossible (to stay). Perhaps I was a victim of circumstance. The club’s going in a certain direction and that’s been very clearly documented.
“I was very happy there, but it was made clear to me that I might need to look at my options.”

Love Zach and he made the right decision for himself.

Don't hate the club for 'asking' him to leave and understand that in the scheme of trading to advantage, things aren't always easy.

Am I happy with the net outcome?...........Effectively Marchbank for Tuohy?.................Yes.

Would I be happy should have I been Zach Tuohy? Probably not..........Tough game to play.

“But I was given a very strong impression that my future wasn’t guaranteed and, having a young family, that wasn’t a risk I was willing to take."

A 3-year deal is a a pretty reasonable guarantee.

I'm glad he's being paid what he thinks he's worth but Geelong are going down a very dangerous path in terms of giving big, long-term deals to players who aren't worth the coin: Henderson, Scott Selwood, Rhys Stanley, Zac Smith, (Mitch Clark).

I get they're trying to adopt the Hawthorn model of rotating their roster and bringing in players to play specific roles, but they're lacking in core players and the salary cap squeeze is going to really restrict them in years to come. They've also given away two 1st round draft picks in consecutive years.

“But I was given a very strong impression that my future wasn’t guaranteed and, having a young family, that wasn’t a risk I was willing to take."

I'm glad he's being paid what he thinks he's worth but Geelong are going down a very dangerous path in terms of giving big, long-term deals to players who aren't worth the coin: Henderson, Scott Selwood, Rhys Stanley, Zac Smith, (Mitch Clark).

I get they're trying to adopt the Hawthorn model of rotating their roster and bringing in players to play specific roles, but they're lacking in core players and the salary cap squeeze is going to really restrict them in years to come. They've also given away two 1st round draft picks in consecutive years.
Have to agree. You would have to think that the contract from us would of been worth about a mil over the 3 years.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

It would be a risk trying to look after a family on around $300,000 a year (not sure what he was offered but I would have thought something in this vicinity) on a 3 year deal. How would he ever manage?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It would be a risk trying to look after a family on around $300,000 a year (not sure what he was offered but I would have thought something in this vicinity) on a 3 year deal. How would he ever manage?
1. You're guessing on the figure
2. He's got 4-6 more years earning that kind of money, for which he decimates his body compared to the average person in their mid-30s, and may not necessarily step into anything more than average salary after that.

So it's danger money. Compare it to an oil rig worker, or a pilot, where there are more stringent safety standards, then tack on the celebrity elements (both positive and negative).

I know it's all relative but it's hard for most fans to identify with this struggle lol

Our hearts bleed for you Zach.
He is right though, he is easily worth at least 450 a year, FFS Daisy is on 700 and Kreuzer would be on at least 550 too. 2E was consistent and never got injured, we shunned him hard with that contract offer and I don't blame him for feeling disrespected

He is right though, he is easily worth at least 450 a year, FFS Daisy is on 700 and Kreuzer would be on at least 550 too. 2E was consistent and never got injured, we shunned him hard with that contract offer and I don't blame him for feeling disrespected

Is the guy who negotiated Tuohy's contract the same guy who brought over Daisy? Daisy's contract is inflated but it's completely redundant comparing the 2(e). SOS had no hand in that deal. Where are you getting your figures for the Kreuzer contract? Sounds like you're guessing.

I don't think Tuohy is worth 450k, and I'm happy we haven't given in to his wishes. He's now 27, hasn't ever had a really high-level season and despite being a consistent performer is still our 3rd best running defender and had Ciaran Byrne not done his ACL may well be 4th.

The net result has been Marchbank and Smedts, one of whom projects as a gun key position defender while the other adds immediate depth in a position we're severely lacking in.

Whichever way you look at it we've come out on top.

Is the guy who negotiated Tuohy's contract the same guy who brought over Daisy? Daisy's contract is inflated but it's completely redundant comparing the 2(e). SOS had no hand in that deal. Where are you getting your figures for the Kreuzer contract? Sounds like you're guessing.

I don't think Tuohy is worth 450k, and I'm happy we haven't given in to his wishes. He's now 27, hasn't ever had a really high-level season and despite being a consistent performer is still our 3rd best running defender and had Ciaran Byrne not done his ACL may well be 4th.

The net result has been Marchbank and Smedts, one of whom projects as a gun key position defender while the other adds immediate depth in a position we're severely lacking in.

I really liked Touhy but hard to argue with your sentiment.

Plus Back Half Flankers are easier to replace than Centre Half Backs... good CHBs worth their weight in gold so lets hope we can... bank on that.

Touhy added a lot of aggression so hopefully we can get that from the group that replace him

The club's eyes lit up when they heard rumors of a 4 year deal with Sydney, thought they could parlez it up to some sweet trade by low-balling Zach, and ended up playing themselves when he turned around to Geelong who had nothing but crumbs to trade.

So we got crumbs. Smedts and a three-ish pick upgrade.

You want to know how s**t a deal the club itself thinks it got? Not once have they boasted about it. Instead they've swept it under the rug and walked away whistling. You won't hear them ever talk about it again.

The club's eyes lit up when they heard rumors of a 4 year deal with Sydney, thought they could parlez it up to some sweet trade by low-balling Zach, and ended up playing themselves when he turned around to Geelong who had nothing but crumbs to trade.

So we got crumbs. Smedts and a three-ish pick upgrade.

You want to know how s**t a deal the club itself thinks it got? Not once have they boasted about it. Instead they've swept it under the rug and walked away whistling. You won't hear them ever talk about it again.
We traded Zach and our 2017 second round pick for Smedts, pick 63 and Geelong's 2017 first round pick. We then ontraded the Geelong 2017 pick to GWS for Marchbank, Pickett and their 2017 second round pick.

How exactly did we get crumbs?

Marchbank and Smedts haven't played a game yet, Tuohy hasn't played a game for Geelong either. Say he comes into their team and they make the Grand Final, do we still come out on top?

Calling this trade a definite win is far too premature

Marchbank and Smedts haven't played a game yet, Tuohy hasn't played a game for Geelong either. Say he comes into their team and they make the Grand Final, do we still come out on top?

If the Cats make the GF, will it be because of the Tuohy trade or because of their top end talent? Did we make the '95 GF because we traded in Clape (he did have a good season) or because of our top end talent.

Whichever way you look at it, trading in a very talented KP player at the cost of a reasonably good HBF seems like good business to me.

You understand talking about the value of Touhy's contract is exhibiting the same behaviour?

Let's spare the inane, poxy hypothetical and contrast with where we are at at the moment. Marchbank is as likely to be a 10-year gun CHB as Tuohy is a premiership player next year and that is a much better result for us.

FWIW I have very strong doubts and the short term and long term capability of the current Geelong squad who are miles behind GWS, Sydney and the Bulldogs and have just lost two 300 game A-graders.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back