Chief's Public Enemy #1
30k Posts 10k Posts Freeze MND Challenge 2021 Chess Club Member
Mar 10, 2006
Weir Stables
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Baghdad Bombers
Round 11 I think it was when Zaha went down injured and from around then, our season has turned to muck.

Obviously there are other factors involved but do we rely on him more than I thought?

Food for thought ...

*My apologies if this has already been mentioned elsewhere.

Right now, absolutely.

Stanton's the "link man", but without Zaka, we don't have that immediate run from a contest.

Stanton was forced into Zaka's role, which saw his form drop.

Right now, we need two or three of Colyer, Browne, Ross, Merrett and Dalgeish to step up and help him out, because without him, we're pretty well rooted.

I have said this to a few people.

It is no coincidence that our season well and truly turned to s**t when he went down. He was our biggest loss of all- bigger than Ryder even, I believe.

Given that he is the only midfielder we have the is currently able to break away from stoppages on a consistent basis and deliver the ball with precision he is probably top 3 most important and easily top 5.

I would go as far as saying that from the side that played in rounds 1 to 14 he is probably more structurally significant than Jobe.

Maybe, but it's a bit scary if we rely on one player that much.

Obviously it is but with Winderlich severely limited these days Zaharakis is the only other player that is currently capable of consistently doing it. I wouldn't say there is any sort of intentional reliance.

Melksham was supposed to step into the void but is 12 months behind where we want him to be and Kav and Browne are still a while off.

Right now, we need two or three of Colyer, Browne, Ross, Merrett and Dalgleish to step up and help him out, because without him, we're pretty well rooted.

Dalgliesh very good so far today for the gold. Is seriously quick with the ball (as is colyer) and is a beautiful kick of the ball (not colyer).

Very important to us and Stantons game/form. Without either one the other gets tagged and shut out of the game. Meaning Essendon have little to no run especially when Heppell isnt across halfback meaning Dempsey is also taken out of the game or tagged.

Would be nice to see a Merrett, Dalgleish follow someone like Murdoch of Geelong. He has really added something to Geelongs side. Otherwise we really rely on having no injuries throughout the year to Heppell, Dempsey, Stanton, Zaka. As soons as one gets injured the domino effect seems to hurt Essendon more than other sides. Its also why the improtance of Melksham having a good year is so important.

Thats why i brought up the name of Savage, hes best 22 at Essendon has been for most of his time in the last 2 years in a strong hawks outfit. Wellingham also provides that and he could easily bulk to evolve into an inside midfielder which we have seen him do before. Most noticeably a game against Melbourne last year where he ha 37 posses, 12 inside 50's and i think kicked 2-3 goals without Swan in the side he was the one to step up when Beams and Sidey were younger and smaller in size.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has been a massive loss when you think about it as he is the one player we have who can play inside and out, has pace and can kick goals on his day plus he was finding a heap of the ball.

Zaka's crucial, Winderlich is greatly underrated.

Give me a full season from Watson, Stanton, Howlett, Zaharakis, Hocking, Myers, and Heppell next year and no one will be whinging about our midfield anymore. Melksham, Prismall, Kav, Browne, etc will just be the cherries on top.

Give me a full season from Crameri, Hurley (inj), Ryder (inj), Winderlich (inj), Davey, Jetta, Gumbleton (inj), and NOB (inj) and no one will be worrying about us kicking goals.

Give me a full season from Watson, Stanton, Howlett, Zaharakis, Hocking, Myers, and Heppell next year and no one will be whinging about our midfield anymore. Melksham, Prismall, Kav, Browne, etc will just be the cherries on top.

Give me a full season from Crameri, Hurley (inj), Ryder (inj), Winderlich (inj), Davey, Jetta, Gumbleton (inj), and NOB (inj) and no one will be worrying about us kicking goals.

word

Finally looked like the Zaka from the start of the season tonight. Had some of his pace back and looked like he had his movement again. Just a shame that it was the last game of the season and not round 16. If he can string together a full season next year he'll be a big threat. Maybe even a Dangerfield breakout type year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back