Toast Zak Butters appreciation thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Can't go deep in September without him.

I have said on multiple occasions over the last 6 months that he was our most important player last year. Whenever there was a true key moment in our season, he was either directly involved in the play or he was directly involved in the chain of possession.

We are missing him far more than anyone could have realised. Granted, this is probably also because Rocky and Houston were missing last night too, so the drop off between Butters and the next best on-baller (Drew) is even more stark going up against the best midfield in the comp.

He looked gimpy AF running this week, but it was a start. Will only continue to improve from here. Hope the club are looking at getting him on a lokomat - it will help speed up his return.

I have said on multiple occasions over the last 6 months that he was our most important player last year. Whenever there was a true key moment in our season, he was either directly involved in the play or he was directly involved in the chain of possession.

We are missing him far more than anyone could have realised. Granted, this is probably also because Rocky and Houston were missing last night too, so the drop off between Butters and the next best on-baller (Drew) is even more stark going up against the best midfield in the comp.

He looked gimpy AF running this week, but it was a start. Will only continue to improve from here. Hope the club are looking at getting him on a lokomat - it will help speed up his return.
I reckon at the time he got injured, there were many who knew the consequences to our season. He is quite simply our most valuable player, and soon he will be unequivocally our best player. People forget that he was instrumental in our win against the Bulldogs last year, to go with heroics in other matches including our win against the Hawks.

Let's face it, the Rozee/Butters/Duursma trio was the thing that lifted us from a mediocre, top 8 contender to a top 4 contender and thus legitimate premiership chance. Not having Butters and Duursma out there, as well as Rozee being down on form, basically just slides us back to where we were before they transformed the team.

I would think he returns in round 13 to the AFL side. That makes it nine weeks since the nerve damage. Ankle will be fine by then too. Would not be surprised if he has a couple of light runs in the Magpies to get match fitnessbefore he plays AFL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Let's face it, the Rozee/Butters/Duursma trio was the thing that lifted us from a mediocre, top 8 contender to a top 4 contender and thus legitimate premiership chance. Not having Butters and Duursma out there, as well as Rozee being down on form, basically just slides us back to where we were before they transformed the team.

Sack Shane Edwards

Where are you getting Round 13 from?
Hi, I replied to another quote, and it is my opinion so apologies if it came across as an official statement. I did not mean it to. But I gave my thinking in that quote response.

edit just realised it was a different thread. I appreciate I do not know his personal circumstances regarding nerve and strength testing, and assuming the nerve is not severed, ten weeks is at long end of recovery. But as other people have noted, it is a day by day proposition and could be back earlier, or later. But he is running and another four weeks till round 13. As another poster stated, it may well be through the magpies. Just a thought.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back