Toast Zak Butters - Stepping out of the shadows

Remove this Banner Ad

I remember thinking after his start to 2020(?), before his injury against Richmond, that I have never seen a Port player who is so involved in the game.

30 touches at maximum inpact but the work he does off the ball is ridiculous. Blocks, tap-ons, bumps, just about every week he crunches the opposition ruckman. He is unique.

The only worry is his shoulders and running. Needs to go to the US every off season and make sure hes in the best possible shape.
I flashed back to the same game tonight

On TET-AN00 using BigFooty.com mobile app

You have to go back to peak Primus/Tredrea to find a performance where one player has just picked up the side and carried them across the wire.

There's only 2 players who can win the Brownlow this year Bonts and Butters.

41 disposals and 18 contested possessions.

Hahaha what the *?

Legitimately up there as one of the best individual performance from a Port AFL player ever

I was thinking butters played like josh carr at his absolute best. hard at it, determined and the belief that a victory was the only outcome.

Even a lethal leigh at his best would have been happy with this night out.

Depending on what Daicos does tomorrow, Butters will be equal leader or outright second in the coaches award by the end of this round.

Are you aware that Travis Boak finished 3rd in this award in 2020 (1 vote off 2nd)?

Not bad for a Cam Guthrie/Matt Crouch tier player.

I’ve noticed that Butters kicks are less loopy and have more penetration in them, he’s always had the vision but previously the opposition could cut off or make a contest as the kicks would take 1-2 seconds more to reach the target. Also, I admit I didn’t think he could kick more than 50 mtrs, but did it twice with a wet ball.
He’s very much in the GAJ & Robbie mould but the difference is Butters looks for the contact.

Last edited:
The goals Zak kicked in the third quarter were superb. Nailed long range drop punts with a wet heavy ball and breezy conditions. Absolute clutch kicks.

We won't talk about the around the body attempt at the start of the 4th.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’ve noticed that Butters kick are less loopy and have more penetration in them, he’s always had the vision but previously the opposition could cut off or make a contest as the kicks would take 1-2 seconds more to reach the target. Also, I admit I didn’t think he could kick more than 50 mtrs, but did it twice with a wet ball.
He’s very much in the GAJ & Robbie mould but the difference is Butters looks for the contact.

There was one kick from the outer wing he kicked across his body that almost went backwards to hit up his team-mate in the corridor. Thats extra-odinary vision and execution.

Is there a bit of Gary Ablett Jr in Butters? I am just putting it out there after a great win.

imo its like the spirit of Brad Ebert and the ability of Robbie Gray

Remove this Banner Ad

Back