Past Zak Jones - traded 2019, to Saints

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
4_Zak-Jones_Draft-Countdown-Article-Image-Recovered.jpg

STRENGTHS
Jones is best when the ball is up for grabs. He has no fear, will charge at a contest head-on, and make the ball his. He's a good, strong build, and is a see-ball, get-ball type of player. He's confident overhead and brave in the air, and can really shut down opponents. In Vic Country's last game of the championships he moved onto Vic Metro star Jack Billings at half-time, after Billings had dominated the start of the game. Jones gave him no space thereafter. By the end of the season Jones showed he could be a midfielder, too. In the Stingrays' preliminary final win, he gathered 10 clearances from 27 disposals in a dominant display.

WEAKNESSES
The Stingrays spent a bit of time with Jones through the season improving his efficiency, and he has steadily done that. He needs to lift his foot skills on his left side, and he occasionally still messes up the odd pass, but he's getting more of the ball and the errors are becoming rarer.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-11-17/four-days-to-the-draft-meet-zak-jones

#12 Richmond - Zac Jones (VIC – Def/Mid)
Height: 181cm, Weight: 74kg, DOB: 15/03/1995
Recruited from: Dandenong Stingrays
Style: Scott Burns
Player comparison:
Range: 12-25
Profile: Younger brother of Melbourne’s Nathan Jones. He’s not the same level midfielder as Nathan but has some similar traits with that same hardness and love for the contest to him but at this point is probably better suited as a defender. Jones down back can play effectively both as a rebounder and shutdown player. Jones seems to have more time and space than most as a really composed type and is an above average user of the footy by foot hitting his targets over a variety of distances. He is also an excellent mark for his size both 1v1 but especially coming off his man to take an intercept mark. Physically he has the strength to give with stronger players but then the pace to go with the quicker players. He also provides good run and carry and has an above average burst of speed to him and some nice agility and evasiveness to him. He also keeps his feet really well in the contest and never seems to go to ground. Late season Jones has also showed some midfield potential stepping into the midfield v Calder and taking over the game so it may be something he can with further time and development he does more often.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/knightmares-2013-phantom-draft.983436/

Nathan Jones@nathan2jones
2h
Could not be prouder of my lil bro! Worked his butt off and couldn't have ended up at a better club @sydneyswans can't wait to play him

Ginger :(

Needs to shave his head and go to a ink shop. Without Membery preferably.

Seriously happy though. Liking he has a brother in the system who would be a mentor so he will know what it is all about. If he has big bros mongrel, dedication and pure will to win he will become a quick favorite of mine.

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Right now Jones sounds like a defender of sorts but it sounds like he has the potential to be very good at the stoppages which is important as the Swans lost a surprisingly high amount of clearances in 2013.

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Watching this video

I am reminded of the Gary Rohan highlights package in that I was not to keen on Rohan because like with Jones in this video every disposal in the video seemed to miss his intended target :p

JimmySwan

Team Captain
Jul 8, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney

We have the same view Dan87. I want Zak Jones at pick 15 if he's still available. Kid looks like a gun and can see him playing as an inside midfielder/half back flanker. Solid 200+ games at any club. Also would love Billy Hartung at our pick. Would add some speed and bite off the half back.

Dan87

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 7, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Sydney
correct me if I'm wrong but with development Zac seems the result if you take one half Luke Parker and one half Adam Cooney and created the ultimate nutcase footballer. :D I really hope his speed translates to AFL, or even improves with some training. That's one concern, I also hope his kicking continues to develop. That's probably the plan and that's what would make him special. The rest seems top class. His overhead skills are also a real weapon.

Dan87

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 7, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Sydney
Am I the only one that thinks we did not draft Jones to be a defender and that we drafted him to be an in and under midfielder and someone who works at the clearances?

That's probably the plan, but he' a sure thing at the moment as a Nick Smith type and will probably spend a season there with a mix in the middle.

Am I the only one that thinks we did not draft Jones to be a defender and that we drafted him to be an in and under midfielder and someone who works at the clearances?
Kinnear did say that they brought him in as a small defender to help Smith and they where looking for someone who could fill that role that's why they picked him , Kinnear also said he can also go through the guts but I think with all our mids plus now Perris and Hewett and lack of small running defenders Jones will start as a small defender.

Tedeski

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Mava Fan Cooler
Or preparing for Nick Smith to go back to Victoria next year! j/k :p

Nick Smith has made it clear that he is keen to play midfield. That will no doubt keep him interested & prolong his stay at the Swans much as it did with Rhino!

We have a lot to juggle but Horse & co are only too aware that our players love a new fresh challenge.

I'm very excited with what we've done. The thrill of taking a risk with Buddy also adds spice to the coming years. It's a risk for sure but the upside will be fantastic & these new youngsters like Zac Jones get to immerse themselves neck deep in it.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Nick Smith has made it clear that he is keen to play midfield. That will no doubt keep him interested & prolong his stay at the Swans much as it did with Rhino!

We have a lot to juggle but Horse & co are only too aware that our players love a new fresh challenge.

I'm very excited with what we've done. The thrill of taking a risk with Buddy also adds spice to the coming years. It's a risk for sure but the upside will be fantastic & these new youngsters like Zac Jones get to immerse themselves neck deep in it.

Just take a look at Wells reaction when we picked Jones ahead of Geelong pick :D

Back