Past Zak Jones - traded 2019, to Saints

tombomb

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 8, 2007
melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
I think he is not that far away from being an exceptional player.

To me there are two weaknesses, he has the Patrick Dangerfield habit of trying to kick the cover off the ball. He needs to learn to lower his eyes a bit and take the easy option.

The second is his toughness. Its fine to run around with the tatts, looking pissed off and throwing jumper punches, but he needs to get much better at keeping his head over the ball when it is his turn.

Ralphyboy

All Australian
May 25, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
I think he is not that far away from being an exceptional player.

To me there are two weaknesses, he has the Patrick Dangerfield habit of trying to kick the cover off the ball. He needs to learn to lower his eyes a bit and take the easy option.

The second is his toughness. Its fine to run around with the tatts, looking pissed off and throwing jumper punches, but he needs to get much better at keeping his head over the ball when it is his turn.
I was wondering if I was the only one who thought this. I’ve seen him pull out of a few contests.

Voyages

Draftee
Oct 21, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Hard player.

In the right position and the right frame of mind, then you have something solid.

Tedeski

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Mava Fan Cooler
If he wants to stay then fantastic but if we get into another scenario where he holds out, then it's perhaps a way of losing him to gain something else of higher quality.
A good line breaker but one of our poorest ball users.

If he wants to stay then fantastic but if we get into another scenario where he holds out, then it's perhaps a way of losing him to gain something else of higher quality.
A good line breaker but one of our poorest ball users.

Pretty outrageous claim. He has been screwed by Horse having most of the forwards in D50. How can you run and Carry when there are no targets beyond some poor bloke outnumbered 3-1. Actually think he will benefit from less flooding and less chippety chip. I don't think he is the worst kick.

For me Jones has been worth his place. I a. Not convinced he is a mid. His skill set seems attuned to wing and hbf.

For those like tedeski enamoured with chippety chip, I can see Jones may not be highly rated.

Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
This was a stat on the Footy Live app in the lead up to Round 19 last year (champion data):

“Swans have generated an inside 50 from 30% of Zac Jones defensive rebounds. Ranked fourth of the top 50 players for rebound 50s”

His kicking can’t be that bad.

I’d rather keep him unless there is a very good trade offer on the table.

This was a stat on the Footy Live app in the lead up to Round 19 last year (champion data):

“Swans have generated an inside 50 from 30% of Zac Jones defensive rebounds. Ranked fourth of the top 50 players for rebound 50s”

His kicking can’t be that bad.

I’d rather keep him unless there is a very good trade offer on the table.

Spot on. He's no World Beater, but in a passive side, his aggression is important. I doubt he wants to return to Melbourne but he will be after a decent contract increase.
I think he is a better than average player but we should not pay him overs. Maybe it is the ridiculous chippety chip style Horse favours but for me Jones already should be a top 10 player. He is not. I will be cranky if he goes as I have no doubt he will be a star at a Club not employing Horse systems.

Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
Spot on. He's no World Beater, but in a passive side, his aggression is important. I doubt he wants to return to Melbourne but he will be after a decent contract increase.
I think he is a better than average player but we should not pay him overs. Maybe it is the ridiculous chippety chip style Horse favours but for me Jones already should be a top 10 player. He is not. I will be cranky if he goes as I have no doubt he will be a star at a Club not employing Horse systems.

The injury to Rampe in 2017 and then Mills in 2018 I think forced the hand of the coaches to leave him at half back rather than transition to more of a midfield role (or at least a hybrid role between the two).

This season with a little more depth in that area should hopefully release him from being camped back there.

Like Papley, we could use his aggression around the contest a bit more.

I agree we shouldn’t pay overs.

Jun 19, 2011
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Wallabies
Various media reports that St Kilda is chasing Zak Jones, who is out of contract the end of this year.

I was surprised he re-signed for 2 years last time. Can't see him staying unless he gets major midfield tie and some license to run throughout the season

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-04-15/st-kilda-set-to-target-outofcontract-sydney-speedster

Jones is timing his run at a big new contract perfectly. He's got a lot of buzz after moving properly into the midfield the last few weeks and now he's about to open negotiations. He's in for a solid pay day (and I suspect it'll be from a Melbourne club in the end).

melbournehammer

Premiership Player
Apr 22, 2013
AFL Club
Sydney
id rather pay jones than several others on the list

My view as well.

Trouble is I don't really know how we are going to have a list when the top ten will all be on ridiculous coin. God knows what will happen after that.

Must say as an aside I dont really know why the saints would want him. Their list is full of mid sized midfielders. There's quite a few other teams that would benefit from him

We can’t loose him

Only one with break away speed from congestion

Must keep

and given his age, we cant let these guys go before their prime like mitchell did already

Mick Oxlong

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 27, 2007
AFL Club
Sydney
I think he’ll stay, we still have that war chest a la media reports from trade period last year!

Must say as an aside I dont really know why the saints would want him. Their list is full of mid sized midfielders. There's quite a few other teams that would benefit from him

The Saints (Apart from Acres and maybe Billings to a small extent) have a fairly one paced midfield that would greatly benefit from a Jones type.

Back