Traded Zak Jones [traded with #56 and future 3rd to St Kilda for #32, #76 and future 3rd]

Remove this Banner Ad

BuT peTrAcCa!

If Jones can clean up his kicking and kick like he did v us with reasonable consistency, a low teens pick is worth it.

Otherwise yes he runs fast, yes he is bald so looks tough, yes he is finding the footy well, but he is a very average user of the ball, turns it over often and also blazes away without looking (no composure), far too undisciplined giving away frees, and is a more outside midfielder than you'd think looking the way he does. Doesn't tackle a huge amount.

And is uncontracted.

Chances are he stays because Sydney rarely lose their players but you're not getting pick 5-10 for an uncontracted player unless they are genuinely good.

Is that honestly how his name is spelt? Do not want
Really don’t think Carlton should be knocking players back based how their names are spelt.

Adelaide’s future 1st (likely 5-10 range) for Zak Jones to Carlton.

AFL.com.au understands the Saints are tracking the out-of-contract Swan closely as they attempt to lure his pace to complement a midfield bereft of line-breakers.

The 24-year-old remains content in Sydney, however, is expected to gain further interest from Victorian clubs inquiring about a move home should his impressive start to 2019 continue.

Having last signed a two-year extension in August 2017, Jones is yet to open communication with the Swans over a renewal beyond this year.

Despite landing Dan Hannebery, who looks set to miss the first half of 2019, on a substantial five-year deal last year, the Saints' salary cap space will allow it to pursue more top talent.

https://m.afl.com.au/news/2019-04-15/st-kilda-set-to-target-outofcontract-sydney-speedster

Last edited by a moderator:
Otherwise yes he runs fast, yes he is bald so looks tough, yes he is finding the footy well, but he is a very average user of the ball, turns it over often and also blazes away without looking (no composure), far too undisciplined giving away frees, and is a more outside midfielder than you'd think looking the way he does. Doesn't tackle a huge amount.

Yep. I said on the Geelong board the other week he is basically Cam Guthrie but because he looks like a footballer rather than having the prima donna hair he gets a lot more rope. Perceptions hey.

Yep. I said on the Geelong board the other week he is basically Cam Guthrie but because he looks like a footballer rather than having the prima donna hair he gets a lot more rope. Perceptions hey.
Three years younger ,Cam Guthrie next year 28.

That’s actually a very good comparison. I would love Jones though, he would be perfect at HB for us.

We'll be lucky to get more than around a pick in the mid 20s for Jones. We need to retain him because our side is deplorable already, but if he wants big dollars send him on his bike so we can target some big name mids.
Plus the Buddy deal is now straining the cap. Can’t afford to match bigger offers to be fair. Was always coming.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We'll be lucky to get more than around a pick in the mid 20s for Jones. We need to retain him because our side is deplorable already, but if he wants big dollars send him on his bike so we can target some big name mids.

I don't think Zak Jones is all that great to be honest, and I think you're better off letting him go and get a decent draft pick for him. Plus you clear some valuable cap space, Swans need some good draft picks, more than established players imo

I don't think Zak Jones is all that great to be honest, and I think you're better off letting him go and get a decent draft pick for him. Plus you clear some valuable cap space, Swans need some good draft picks, more than established players imo
We are pretty free capspace wise already. Agree he is not that good.

THat's contrary to the "trade Buddy" noise in the media at present.

Wasn't the deal back-ended? I was hearing circa $4-5m of it spread across the last 3 years of the deal.
Kurt Tippett after this year off their salary cap .

Plus the Buddy deal is now straining the cap. Can’t afford to match bigger offers to be fair. Was always coming.

How so?

There’s about 4 other players in the league on similar $’s to Buddy and one of them is Dustin Martin.

Which club just recruited the highest paid free agent in the off season?

THat's contrary to the "trade Buddy" noise in the media at present.

Wasn't the deal back-ended? I was hearing circa $4-5m of it spread across the last 3 years of the deal.
Yeah but media doesnt know crap, Hanners was about $800,000 a year gone, Tippos is gone too and he was on big bucks and we have grundy, smith, jack and mcveigh retiring

Yeah but media doesnt know crap, Hanners was about $800,000 a year gone, Tippos is gone too and he was on big bucks and we have grundy, smith, jack and mcveigh retiring
That’s a lot of cap retiring. But I was referring to this:
197C5313-1FA9-42EC-9958-B4FF3029BE8D.jpeg
It hurts. And will have a massive impact on how you do your business right now. There will be casualties.

That’s a lot of cap retiring. But I was referring to this:
View attachment 659007
It hurts. And will have a massive impact on how you do your business right now. There will be casualties.

It's not hurting though, we have cap space to chase people, hence our over the top offer to Langdon in 2018 draft period. We've got cap space already and about to get a truckload more.

It's not hurting though, we have cap space to chase people, hence our over the top offer to Langdon in 2018 draft period. We've got cap space already and about to get a truckload more.
Interesting. You obviously know more about the detail around your list management than I would.

Do you apportion Mitchell leaving due to the squeeze? Or did Horse simply not rate him enough to pay the coin he wanted?

Midfielders of Jones' calibre are everywhere. Don't think he'd be a top 3 midfielder for any club. You wouldn't want to give up a top 10 pick for a small defender either if that's what you're after.

Hard to see him going for anything more than pick 15-20.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back