Past Zak Jones - traded 2019, to Saints

Remove this Banner Ad

Am I the only one that thinks we did not draft Jones to be a defender and that we drafted him to be an in and under midfielder and someone who works at the clearances?
Projects as a hard mid like Rory Sloane who played back pocket on Yarran...

Keeping up with Jones: Zak's journey to join older brother
He finished school at the end of year 11 in 2012 and this year, worked three days a week with his Rosebud-based father, Brad, who is a carpenter.

He is looking for an electrician apprenticeship and hopes he'll be able to complete one while playing elite football, if he is drafted.

"Our house was full of footy," he said.

"We had a fair few wrestling matches; mum's probably got heaps of stories about us breaking things.

"Having two brothers older than me, beating up on me and me trying to fight back makes you more competitive to beat them but then also when you go on to the football field, you just want to win."

"There's a huge mental battle in footy and that's what a lot of people don't really see.

"Having my brother there, I get to really see what emotional battles he has."
Keeping up with Jones: Zak's journey to join older brother

On the road with the Country cousins
It turned out Jones didn't need too much advice (at least from Nathan) – after the championships he was named an All Australian defender. But he did get a lesson from Country defensive coach, and former Carlton full-back, Glenn Manton.

Jones called Manton after the Northern Territory game, having felt he didn't get enough of the ball. Manton's message was simple: "He told me I needed to plug in and plug out, and there's got to be times when you don't worry about it and move on.

"And he also told me he wants me to kick a goal … and do the robot dance for him when I do."
On the road with the Country cousins

Jones
In the TAC Cup preliminary final, Jones was involved in 11 of 13 last-quarter score involvements to complement 28 disposals and 10 tackles as the inside midfielder drove the Stingrays into the grand final.

Stingrays coach Graeme Yeats thinks he'd be a fine fit at Geelong, which is considering Jones at pick 16.

"He's `maniacle'. A hard-nosed and fierce competitor who challenges himself,'' Yeats said.

"One of the hungriest kids I've seen come through the system.
Jones

Nathan Jones' brother keen for AFL success
''He's such a professional. Everything we asked him to do, he embraced, and there's a bit of craziness about Zak. He's a little bit mad, so we'd just give him some simple instructions and he'd go out there and do everything we asked,'' said the Stingrays coach, Graeme Yeats.

''When we looked at our squad at the start of the year we probably didn't see him as a midfield-type player, but he just wanted to get in there and show us. There was one game where we were getting beaten pretty badly, so we threw him into the middle and he won the next three centre bounces in a row. From there he really found his mojo.''
Nathan Jones' brother keen for AFL success

Like the types the Swans keep drafting.

Kinnear did say that they brought him in as a small defender to help Smith and they where looking for someone who could fill that role that's why they picked him , Kinnear also said he can also go through the guts but I think with all our mids plus now Perris and Hewett and lack of small running defenders Jones will start as a small defender.

I can actually see Smith going into the midfield to play that lock down roll that ROK has played in recent years once he retires and Zak to take Smiths role

Mature body all ready , hope he can debut early
Disagree, the draft photo provided is very complimenting. I don't see a home-and-away-debut next year. He's still very small, but he's got a strong ego and a very tough attitude. He'll need a bit of work to get his frame up to scratch, but like his older brother this shouldn't be a problem. And once he's up to strength, get out of his way!

Personally hoping to see some Dean Towers in 2014, the running jumping man!

I'm sure Wells was utterly devastated. Games played by Stephen Wells' first round picks since 2003:

Kane Tenace - 59
Travis Varcoe - 115
Joel Selwood - 160
Harry Taylor - 136
Mitchell Brown - 10
Daniel Menzel - 21
Billie Smedts - 27
Jackson Thurlow - 4

Games played by Sydney's first round picks since 2003:

Josh Willoughby - 0
Daniel O'Keefe - 0
Patrick Veszpremi - 11 (12 for Western Bulldogs)
Lewis Johnston - 2 (6 for Adelaide)
Gary Rohan - 27
Lewis Jetta - 78
Jed Lamb - 12
Dean Towers - 0

I'm sure Wells was utterly devastated. Games played by Stephen Wells' first round picks since 2003:

Kane Tenace - 59
Travis Varcoe - 115
Joel Selwood - 160
Harry Taylor - 136
Mitchell Brown - 10
Daniel Menzel - 21
Billie Smedts - 27
Jackson Thurlow - 4

Josh Willoughby - 0
Daniel O'Keefe - 0
Gary Rohan - 27
Lewis Jetta - 78
Jed Lamb - 12
Dean Towers - 0
thats not a good look.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I found a great post on the Richmond board about Jones

#13 – ZAK JONES
Height: 183cm, Weight: 76kg, DOB: 15/3/1995
Recruited from: Dandenong Stingrays

His end to the season had me all-in and I think he convinced everyone that he’ll be a beast of an inside midfielder within no time just like his brother, Nathan.

He’s a high-character guy who has battled a case of not really being noticed having not managed to play a game for the Stingrays in 2012. He was stuck in the back-pocket for most of the season in which he did admirably, then won Vic Country’s MVP award in the National Championships and now he’s become a legitimate midfielder all through work rate, desire and the willingness to improve. It probably doesn’t hurt having a brother like Nathan Jones who probably knows the hardships of footy all too well.
Jones’ apprenticeship in the backline has probably done him the world of good as a footballer. He is intent on not letting his opponent get a kick and people says he’s one of the best at saying a few cheeky words out on the field. He is very manic and just throws himself at everything, much in the mould of Mitch Robinson and Steve Morris. It gets to borderline crazy levels, but it just shows how much he loves being out there and he’d do anything to win. I always have time for these guys.

Jones played much of the season off half-back for the Stingrays where he was very good and he played the same role in the Champs, winning himself the MVP for Vic Country averaging 17 disposals (8 contested) at 76% efficiency. Around mid-season he moved to the midfield where he reached over 20 disposals in five of his last eight games. Jones’ efficiency is absolutely outstanding considering the weight of his disposals that are contested. He won an elite amount of contested possessions yet he still operated at 72% disposal efficiency during the TAC Cup season. He showed it was no fluke in the Champs. He also averaged an elite six tackles per game. For me, Zak Jones’ preliminary final performance against the Calder Cannons was possibly my favourite game by any prospective draftee this season. Jones won 28 disposals (20 contested by my count, but could be slightly wrong) at 86% efficiency, with 10 tackles and 10 clearances. It was an epic performance, he was brilliant. I have no doubt if we saw this production for an entire season (Jones actually playing in the midfield) he’d be a top ten pick, or he would’ve at least been top ten in this one (I was very close).

Zak has a couple of things over his brother; I think he’s a better kick and he’s also a bit quicker. Zak isn’t quick by any means, but he does have a little burst and he loves to tuck the ball under the arm and have a dash. I think he really enjoys it when he gets a bit of space. Clubs only have one recorded beep test by Jones, and that was in the pre-season in which he ran a 13.3. He didn’t do the beep test at the Combine, but I’m guessing he would’ve improved that result considerably. He was top 26% in the repeat sprints and also top 34% in the 3km time trial.

Despite the high efficiency stats, most of Jones’ kicks are long. It’s the one issue I have when he’s out in space. It’s not ‘bombs away’ like Crouch, he’s calculated and is actually aiming at someone, but it’s just not always the right option. It has nothing to do with his kicking, and saying he has poor disposal is lazy, because when he lowers the eyes he will hit the target and his kicking style is good. He doesn’t have great penetration on his kicks and I think around 50m is his limit, but I’m not recruiting him to be the next Ben Graham.

Inside the contest Jones is brilliant to watch. He won’t quit until he has the ball. You’ll often think the umpire is about to call for the ball at a stoppage and suddenly Jones has scrapped his way out of there and the play has suddenly opened up. The scary thing is, he is still a bit slight, but I think he’ll end up in the same build as Nathan, and he’s also got a couple of centimetres on him already.

I must admit, I’m taking Jones here on the back of some games at the back-end of the year where he showed that he could be a very good midfielder in the AFL. It was only some, that’s the problem, and it was through no fault of his own. I’m backing my gut on this one though, and that’s what this is all about. Zak Jones will be a very, very good footballer and I am supremely confident of that.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/2013-official-draft-thread.995122/page-88#post-31002980

Reading that makes me very excited.

Kane Tenace - 59
Travis Varcoe - 115
Joel Selwood - 160
Harry Taylor - 136
Mitchell Brown - 10
Daniel Menzel - 21
Billie Smedts - 27
Jackson Thurlow - 4

Josh Willoughby - 0
Daniel O'Keefe - 0
Gary Rohan - 27
Lewis Jetta - 78
Jed Lamb - 12
Dean Towers - 0

only 3 still on our list. lucky we hit the latter part of the draft well.

only 3 still on our list. lucky we hit the latter part of the draft well.
Later round National Draft picks since 2003 still on the respective clubs' lists:

Stephen Wells
Trent West
Matthew Stokes
Dawson Simpson
Steven Motlop
Taylor Hunt
Mitch Duncan
Allen Christensen
Nathan Vardy
Josh Cowan
George Horlin-Smith
Jordan Schroder
Joel Hamling (0 games)
Shane Kersten (0 games)
Jordan Murdoch
Lincoln McCarthy
Bradley Hartman (0 games)

Sydney
Daniel Hannebery
Sam Reid
Luke Parker
Alex Johnson
Jordan Lockyer (0 games)
Harrison Marsh (0 games)
Tim Membrey (0 games)
Matthew Dick (0 games)

Before I get irrationally accused of hating Zak Jones, I don't. Quite like him actually.

The AFL website is saying we've signed Zak until 2017.

As an U18 All Australian defender, I'd like to have another look at him in the Seniors. Apparently he's in good form in the NEAFL.

“The process was quick, I think it took about a week, which was good as all I wanted to do was focus on my year ahead and get back to playing some senior football.”

“The process was quick, I think it took about a week, which was good as all I wanted to do was focus on my year ahead and get back to playing some senior football.”

Dunno about you guys but I blame Tippett and Franklin for ruining the culture so badly our junior players will leave because "reasons".

Remove this Banner Ad

Back