Traded Zak Jones [traded with #56 and future 3rd to St Kilda for #32, #76 and future 3rd]

That’s a lot of cap retiring. But I was referring to this:
View attachment 659007
It hurts. And will have a massive impact on how you do your business right now. There will be casualties.

Casualties are already off the list - Tom Mitchell, Gary Rohan, Dan Hanneberry.

Hanneberry and Rohan's salaries would have rolled up to Buddy this year already, with Tippett coming off the cap a share of the 2020/21/22 Buddy's pay could be brought forward.

Also need to factor in the players CBA changing for 2017 to 22 by an additional $2M. Swans have managed this well.

TylerDurden

Mischief. Mayhem. Soap
Mar 5, 2007
Lou's Tavern
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Casualties are already off the list - Tom Mitchell, Gary Rohan, Dan Hanneberry.

Hanneberry and Rohan's salaries would have rolled up to Buddy this year already, with Tippett coming off the cap a share of the 2020/21/22 Buddy's pay could be brought forward.

Also need to factor in the players CBA changing for 2017 to 22 by an additional $2M. Swans have managed this well.
Can't imagine Rohan's salary being much.

But yeah, sounds like they're well prepared for it.

Sheepey

Club Legend
Oct 18, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
Pass for me. So much of the game is won and lost on turnovers and counterattacking. He's got genuine speed, but his value is limited if he does an exciting burst from a stoppage but puts it down the throat of an opposition player. Besides, with Kennedy and Parker seemingly on the decline (maybe Parker is just out of form because he isn't that old), the value of Jones to Sydney would likely exceed what his actual market value is.

Feb 5, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Interesting. You obviously know more about the detail around your list management than I would.

Do you apportion Mitchell leaving due to the squeeze? Or did Horse simply not rate him enough to pay the coin he wanted?
Yeah the latter, not so much the coin, as we signed other players up to bigger longer term contracts at the time and I think Tom was embitterred at Longmire's treatment of him and fair enough too. I remember calling out to Tom in 2016 GF parade to not leave us and he gave me an absolutely filthy look, I thought he was gone at that stage. I think he just had enough.

Caj

Premiership Player
Jul 23, 2004
Fitzroy
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Liverpool
That’s a lot of cap retiring. But I was referring to this:
View attachment 659007
It hurts. And will have a massive impact on how you do your business right now. There will be casualties.

Dusty is on similar $'s to Buddy and they've just managed to recruit Lynch at $800k per year (and I don't think Rance, Cotchin and Reiwoldt play for free).

Your own team has been adding multiple $500 - $800k recruits in the same off season over the last few years (Mitchell $700k, OMeara $800k, Scully $500k, Wingard $650k)

Did the AFL over compensate and reduce the Swans salary cap by 10%?

Dusty is on similar $'s to Buddy and they've just managed to recruit Lynch at $800k per year (and I don't think Rance, Cotchin and Reiwoldt play for free).

Your own team has been adding multiple $500 - $800k recruits in the same off season over the last few years (Mitchell $700k, OMeara $800k, Scully $500k, Wingard $650k)

Did the AFL over compensate and reduce the Swans salary cap by 10%?
Not bad guessing there though Mitchell was happy to take 550k per year, not 700k. Big upgrade on the 900k 5 year deal from Sydney (180k per year) on offer though.

Caj

Premiership Player
Jul 23, 2004
Fitzroy
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Liverpool
Not bad guessing there though Mitchell was happy to take 550k per year, not 700k. Big upgrade on the 900k 5 year deal from Sydney (180k per year) on offer though.

I'd be astounded if Mitchell is on $550k per year, even before the Brownlow his $ value was far above that*, particularly given the Blues were offering him big money to move

*I realise our club lowballed him, but I'm pretty sure we were offering more than $180k per year on a long term deal

I'd be astounded if Mitchell is on $550k per year, even before the Brownlow his $ value was far above that*, particularly given the Blues were offering him big money to move

*I realise our club lowballed him, but I'm pretty sure we were offering more than $180k per year on a long term deal
You gotta remember he was 4th/5th banana at Sydney, and yes both Carlton and GC came hard but he'd already settled on Hawthorn mid season. $2.2m over 4 years looks a lot better than 900k over 5 at Sydney. Part of Sydney's logic was they overpaid earlier in his contract and wanted him to sacrifice to make up for it. He just wanted a fair contract. No doubt when this contract runs out he's gonna cost us in the vicinity of 750k to 800k per season.

Caj

Premiership Player
Jul 23, 2004
Fitzroy
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Liverpool
You gotta remember he was 4th/5th banana at Sydney, and yes both Carlton and GC came hard but he'd already settled on Hawthorn mid season. $2.2m over 4 years looks a lot better than 900k over 5 at Sydney. Part of Sydney's logic was they overpaid earlier in his contract and wanted him to sacrifice to make up for it. He just wanted a fair contract. No doubt when this contract runs out he's gonna cost us in the vicinity of 750k to 800k per season.

Yes he held us over a barrel to be drafted and was paid $500k a season as a rookie

He'd settled on Hawthorn in January.

Vic pokiesmon

All Australian
Jul 16, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Would add value to pretty much every team in the competition.What team doesn't want a hard at it mid with a real ability to break the lines.Yes he can turn it over but offers a real point of difference.Would be surprised if the swans didn't get close to a top 10 pick for him.Would have many suitors.Would Take him at gws salary cap permitting..Swans can't afford to lose him either.

Jan 14, 2012
The River Murray
AFL Club
St Kilda
Would add value to pretty much every team in the competition.What team doesn't want a hard at it mid with a real ability to break the lines.Yes he can turn it over but offers a real point of difference.Would be surprised if the swans didn't get close to a top 10 pick for him.Would have many suitors.Would Take him at gws salary cap permitting..Swans can't afford to lose him either.
I doubt anyone would give up a top 10 pick for him. Late first would be my guess. Can find a bit of the footy but just not damaging enough for the Swans to demand that much.

Tedeski

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Mava Fan Cooler
No doubt when this contract runs out he's gonna cost us in the vicinity of 750k to 800k per season.

Try $1M plus.
Like father, he is a money man.
After what has happened to his leg this season you can understand why he would want to be one of the highest paid players in the comp after a big season in 2018 but he won't play for less than $1M.

Dede

Senior List
May 10, 2019
Sandy
AFL Club
St Kilda
Very keen to see him wearing navy blue in 2020 if he wants out of Sydney.

Would happily part with Adelaide's first pick for him, which may be slight overs, but he's one of a few players on the market who would be absolutely perfect for us.

Deary me for carlton fans lets hope they don't think like you do Haha!

Just on Jones if he can finish the year off strong and show he can play big minutes in the middle he will cash in big time .. for me he turns it over a lot in traffic.but great speed which is important

Back