Ze Vurld Kupp - 2018 world cup thread

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
People need to relax on the Arzani comparisons with Kewell. 18 Kewell was a star in the premier league for Leeds already. Arzani has played like 20 games.
You really suit that avatar BTW. So does Kent. Topkent Gold.

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
People are shocked at Belgium winning? They're the favourites??

jhong

Old man yelling at clouds
Apr 18, 2011
Wonthaggi
AFL Club
Melbourne
Kinda glad Brazil lost . Neymar rolling around like he was shot just left a foul taste. Sth American countries rarely do well on European world cups anyway .

Demonkings

Team Captain
Jun 25, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Woke up to see that England won 2-0. Watch the highlights and lo and behold typical English boring as all hell s**t show with 2 goals, both headers (one from a corner no less) and some pasty, pinch-faced, scrawny bag of bones of a goalkeeper bailing them out against the offensive might of Sweden. No doubt they will all be losing their minds over this performance in that green and pleasant land, but it just amazes me how as a country, England consistently plays all team sports in the exact same way: reducing every match to a lifeless, clinical battle of attrition, devoid of style and expression, where individual flair and brilliance is shunned in favour of a cold, measured probing of the opposition, slowly weighing the probabilities and playing towards the percentages. Always so technical, and so ******* boring.

I guess it’s just the English temperament on display and I shouldn’t expect them to turn into Brazilians on acid just for the sake of entertaining neutrals at a World Cup. What’s good for empire building doesn’t make for entertaining sports highlight packages.

I’m looking forward to France or Belgium thrashing them 5-0 in the final. Although I won’t be surprised if the foo foo Frenchies s**t the bed and hand the poms the cup. That’s just the way the world works.

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Sweden kind of set up that way, though. They've got very little in the way of attacking talent and the only guy with a bit of skill they do have was subbed out not long after the start of the second half. They marshaled Kane fairly well, and without him, England are a distinctly average side. Good header from Maguire for the first goal, though.

Tried to watch the Russia Croatia game. Was good viewing, until my SBS recording ran out. Cheryshev scores nothing but spectacular goals. Also doesn't appear to do much on the pitch other than score the odd spectacular goal, but it's a nice talent to have if you can only pick one.

England had a fairly easy trot against Sweden while Croatia have now gone to extra time twice in a row and had a few guys limp through to the end. France and Belgium won't be leaving a lot on the park, although they have better depth than most. Everything is falling into place for the Poms nicely, though, as sickening as that is. I'm hoping for a Belgium v Croatia final.

Also, Pickford had a decent game, but * me, every time you see the bloke on TV he is screaming at someone. Want England to get knocked out just to see his head explode.

Cannon82

Cancelled
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Also, they should euthanize any player who spends more than 15 seconds rolling around on the ground. Put the poor buggers out of their misery.

Woke up to see that England won 2-0. Watch the highlights and lo and behold typical English boring as all hell s**t show with 2 goals, both headers (one from a corner no less) and some pasty, pinch-faced, scrawny bag of bones of a goalkeeper bailing them out against the offensive might of Sweden. No doubt they will all be losing their minds over this performance in that green and pleasant land, but it just amazes me how as a country, England consistently plays all team sports in the exact same way: reducing every match to a lifeless, clinical battle of attrition, devoid of style and expression, where individual flair and brilliance is shunned in favour of a cold, measured probing of the opposition, slowly weighing the probabilities and playing towards the percentages. Always so technical, and so ******* boring.

I guess it’s just the English temperament on display and I shouldn’t expect them to turn into Brazilians on acid just for the sake of entertaining neutrals at a World Cup. What’s good for empire building doesn’t make for entertaining sports highlight packages.

I’m looking forward to France or Belgium thrashing them 5-0 in the final. Although I won’t be surprised if the foo foo Frenchies s**t the bed and hand the poms the cup. That’s just the way the world works.
What are you actually on about?

Everyone knows this English team is completely rag-tag, made up of one star, a few good players and then a bunch of middling young/role players.

Its their first semi-final in 28 years, that's three decades of failure led by enormous egos like Ferdinand, Gerrard, Rooney and co that could never quite put the country ahead of themselves. A winnable semi-final is coming up, and all under a manager that nobody wanted. Plenty of people thought they wouldn't make it out their group.

Stop being so bitter, and you might actually enjoy the football. Its been a great World Cup.

Demonkings

Team Captain
Jun 25, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
What are you actually on about?

Everyone knows this English team is completely rag-tag, made up of one star, a few good players and then a bunch of middling young/role players.

Its their first semi-final in 28 years, that's three decades of failure led by enormous egos like Ferdinand, Gerrard, Rooney and co that could never quite put the country ahead of themselves. A winnable semi-final is coming up, and all under a manager that nobody wanted. Plenty of people thought they wouldn't make it out their group.

Stop being so bitter, and you might actually enjoy the football. Its been a great World Cup.
Lighten up Tulip, I was just having a dig at the poms while they’re up and doing well. I genuinely do find them boring to watch though, you might disagree. Each to their own. I am enjoying this World Cup as a whole, lots of great goals and classic matches. Just not a lot involving England.

jhong

Apr 18, 2011
Wonthaggi
AFL Club
Melbourne
So France make the final , now we wait to see if the tablecloths can beat the poms . Croatia have flown under the radar a bit , but the poms could do with some good news , given brexit is looking like a shambles atm . Poms after extra time for no reason at all .

So France make the final , now we wait to see if the tablecloths can beat the poms . Croatia have flown under the radar a bit , but the poms could do with some good news , given brexit is looking like a shambles atm . Poms after extra time for no reason at all .
Croatia were probably the form team of the group stages.

I would argue that most avid followers of the game penciled in Croatia for a spot in the semis/final once the group stages were over. The problem is we live in a country where the media tends to follow other western/English speaking nations. Therefore all of the focus has been on England.

On paper Croatia win 3-1. But the game isn't played on paper and this young English team is on a roll. Not to mention Croatia were close to the form team in the group stage of the Euros but like their English counterparts bowed out with a pretty terrible first knockout game, which is why I never have much confidence in Croatia even when they are going strong. Ditto England

England win 1-0. The Cros are a bit too banged up for my liking

mrmonkey

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 3, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
I want an England vs France final because of the history between the two countries. Also being a country colonised by the British, it would be huge. Not to forget the amount English people in this country and the fact the EPL is the default league.

Cannon82

Cancelled
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Croatia were probably the form team of the group stages.

I would argue that most avid followers of the game penciled in Croatia for a spot in the semis/final once the group stages were over. The problem is we live in a country where the media tends to follow other western/English speaking nations. Therefore all of the focus has been on England.

On paper Croatia win 3-1. But the game isn't played on paper and this young English team is on a roll. Not to mention Croatia were close to the form team in the group stage of the Euros but like their English counterparts bowed out with a pretty terrible first knockout game, which is why I never have much confidence in Croatia even when they are going strong. Ditto England

England win 1-0. The Cros are a bit too banged up for my liking

Yup, Croatia have done some hard yards and had a few players limping through the last game. Kane is all England have, but while he's leading the line they look dangerous and coherent. Credit to Southgate for what he's done - the Poms don't look half bad. I would much prefer to see Croatia get up though; their midfield is quality and they play attractive football. Plus, they've never reached the final before and it'd be swell for the likes of Modric and co. to play on the big stage.

Don't think I can handle the Poms making it to the final, let alone winning the thing. Its enough to make you sick...

Would have liked Belgium to go through. Was a good game this morning but I was a bit disappointed - thought the Belgians would have hit the net once or twice. Martinez was getting too clever for himself with the chopping and changing of the team. It's not great to do that during a normal club season, and a coach has the players full time for 9 months of the year to work on tactics and formations. Expecting that to continually pay off in international football was always going to be a double-edged sword. The commentators mentioned Deschamps is thought of as "boring", but there's a lot more to be said for knowing what your best team and formation is and backing it in on the big occasion.

English football still the choke job basket case its always been, god love them. They remind of a certain AFL side who just missed the finals last year. Living off past memories, modern day garbage. :$

Im no massive football follower but i do love myself some world cup and Croatia thourghly deserved that win. Wanted more it more, played with flair, played hard. The kind of football i like to watch. While England rolled on the ground looking for as many penalties as possible.

Hope Croatia win the final. * the frogs.

jhong

Apr 18, 2011
Wonthaggi
AFL Club
Melbourne
England sat back after half time and handed the initiative to Croatia, then woke up after Croatia equalised . Congrats to Croatia, took advantage and are worthy finalists .

English football still the choke job basket case its always been, god love them. They remind of a certain AFL side who just missed the finals last year. Living off past memories, modern day garbage. :$
tbf on paper it is a piss poor England team. Im suprised they made it this far

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Croatia winning would be nice
Im assuming you don't know many people with Croatian heritage then.

* they are doing my head in

Im assuming you don't know many people with Croatian heritage then.

**** they are doing my head in

I know a few, but they were far more bearable than "It's coming home".

Back