Zeke's 2003 Draft Review

Remove this Banner Ad

mocaholic said:
What about -
18: LLANE SPAANDERMAN
33: JED ADCOCK

Not so much as to talk about their performances, I just love their names. Compare them with Andrew Walker. Ho hum.

And coincidentally, they were both picked up by Brisbane.

Not surprisingly we haven't heard much about their performances.....its tough to get a gig in that team at present.

You can be sure Lehtal has them developing nicely behind the scenes so we can all say "where the ******** did these young guns come from" at some time in the near future just when we think Brisbane maybe on the way down.

There not by the looks of it. They could easily snag another flag b 4 rebuild time kicks in

footyfreak said:
Not surprisingly we haven't heard much about their performances.....its tough to get a gig in that team at present.

You can be sure Lehtal has them developing nicely behind the scenes so we can all say "where the ******** did these young guns come from" at some time in the near future just when we think Brisbane maybe on the way down.

There not by the looks of it. They could easily snag another flag b 4 rebuild time kicks in

Yup.

They seem to have a plethora of young kids comming though. From what ive seen of the following the all look class:

- Corrie
- Selwood
- Brennan
- Adcock
- Rischitelli
- Merrett
- Macdonald

dees_best said:
Not once did I say Bradley will be better than Walker.

What I said was Bradley should be equally as valuable for Essendon as Walker will be for Carlton.

Cooney has the ability too dominate.

Tenace seems capable of being a future gamebreaker. The same goes for Sylvia.

I am yet to see Walker show enough to suggest he will take games by the scruff of the neck.
Walker will be a gamebreaker if Tenace and Sylvia are going to be because he's an allround package, but is yet to put together consistent form. Walker hasn't had the luxury of being slowly introduced into a top 8 side like Tenace and Sylvia. But thrown to the wolves in a midtable side when he probably should still be developing in the two's.

OllieGrieve said:
Walker hasn't had the luxury of being slowly introduced into a top 8 side like Tenace and Sylvia. But thrown to the wolves in a midtable side when he probably should still be developing in the two's.

If you flip the coin to the non-Carlton side, you'd say Walker has had far more opportunities to impress and far more opportunities to rack of big stats.

Guys like Tenace and McLean had to work hard to get a game, and even when they got in the team, they had to fight others to even get some ground time.

Walker got an unbelievable amount of gametime in 2004, a luxury not given to the likes of Tenace.

If you put Kane Tenace or Brock McLean in the Carlton 2004 side and gave them the gametime afforded to Andrew Walker they'd have averaged 17-20 touches a game and would be talked up as the next Judd.

Didn't the hawks give up pick #6 - Bradley for Jacobs? It's short sighted deals like that, that have us where were at today. :(

phat said:
If you put Kane Tenace or Brock McLean in the Carlton 2004 side and gave them the gametime afforded to Andrew Walker they'd have averaged 17-20 touches a game and would be talked up as the next Judd.

I Probably agree

the fact that Walker is getting so much game time with such a light frame AND getting injured is not a good sign.

Carlton have a massive problem with depth (I now conceed that they do actually have a number of very handy players and are unlikely to be in the bottom 4 (due solely to Pagan ;) ) which forces them to play Walker earlier than a team like Brisbane or Port and if things really don't go their way he could end up spending 5-10 weeks of the season every season being injured.

St Kilda probably had this problem with Kosi but seem to be coming through it pretty well despite the Reiwaldts injury.

No matter how much you talk up a young player they still need to develop phisically to the point where they don't break in half.

worthy said:
Didn't the hawks give up pick #6 - Bradley for Jacobs? It's short sighted deals like that, that have us where were at today. :(

omg....

actually it makes sense when u think at this stage Scwab was gearing his team up for a tilt at the flag in 04

worthy said:

:)
We also got Alvey, although that hasn't made much difference.

Mind you, everyone was saying that we should have gotten Tenace back then. You could have had him instead.

worthy said:

It was part of the deal that saw Rawlings get to the Bulldogs. We got pick 6 and Alvey for Jacobs. Veale went to the Dogs and Hawthorn got Jacobs.

nonchalance said:
:)
We also got Alvey, although that hasn't made much difference.

Mind you, everyone was saying that we should have gotten Tenace back then. You could have had him instead.
Kane who? :)

worthy said:

Sigh...

We never had pick 6...we could never have had pick 6. It's been explained a million times. The Bulldogs wouldn't let it happen because we hadn't officially delisted Jade yet, and thus could have re-signed him unless someone else was brought in to take up that salary cap space. Enter Jacobs. :mad:

Still would have preferred the Roos initial offer of their first two picks, but Schwab somehow thought Jacobs > picks 9,25...stupidity. Oh well, we scummed their first two picks a year later anyway... :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Longy413 said:
It was part of the deal that saw Rawlings get to the Bulldogs. We got pick 6 and Alvey for Jacobs. Veale went to the Dogs and Hawthorn got Jacobs.
I regret bringing that up now. :(

I think the top 5 are pretty clear at this stage:

1) Cooney
2) Bradley
3) Sylvia
4) Waters
5) McLean

Also Butler, Tenace, Walker, Adcock, Dyson, Davey and Sansbury have shown good things.

Only Cooney and Bradley have really gone up to the next level, Sylvia showed what he has on the weekend and will no doubt be a top gun.

Waters has been bloody good, was the best of the lot last year and only injury has stopped his progress. Hard nut will be a gun.

McLean is another hard nut, solid all-round midfielder who will be of the utmost service to the demons for a decade or more.

Butler was also quite good in his first year, really showed some classy signs at times.

Tenace, hasn't done anything awesome but is slowly improving

Walker, wicked 1st game not much after that. Has talent but will never be as good as Cooney or even Sylvia IMO.

Adcock is a player I really like. Is starting to come on now and to force ur way into Brisbane's midfield in ur 2nd year shows something. I know Black is absent but I'd keep this kid in there for the whole season.

Dyson has started off pretty well and will no doubt be a top flight player at Essendon in the years to come.

Davey has done many freaky things, thats the type of player he is but will only ever be a small forward who has good games and has bad games. Very handy to have around the goals however.

Sansbury started off ok last year and drifted out of it. Has had a pretty solid pre-season and is adding many more strings to his bow and is becoming more dangerous.

gandaal said:
Well he was Man of the Match on debut so it that doesn't proove that he can dominate I don't know what will.

not sure if anyone will point this out later on in the thread, if so, sorry..

mcgough got best on ground on debut aswell... no, not talking about anzac day, talking about vs the hawks the week before, got the 3 votes in that game, kicked a couple of goals.
backed it up with another 3 votes and the anzac medal in his second game..

by your theory, mcgough is twice the player that walker is.

**this is not an attack on walker, i reckon he'll be great.. just pointing out a flaw in your reasoning.

Zeke said:
I've just had a cursary glance over the 2003 draft list, and thought I woud highlight a few of the kids who have put their hand up for their club this season so far.

1. Adam Cooney
3. Colin Sylvia
5. Brock McLean
6. Kepler Bradley
7. Kane Tennace

I would think at this stage you have the top 5 as of today the only other player who could force his way in would be walker.

give it a few more years and will be interesting

Cooney is at this stage easily the BEST and others will need to do alot to catch him.

Can't explain how highly I rate David Trotter.

Busted his arm last year, stuffed his foot this pre-season. Is currently out with a hammy. Will be an outstanding footballer.

Chad Jones is a 2nd year 196cm tall who was frightfully skinny last year. His effort to play 3 games was excellent IMO. Has also had a knee injury this year, and is also currently out with a hammy!!!

Sansbury will be a good, solid footballer. Good run, good kick, good defensive qualities. About 3 good games from really cementing a spot in the 22.

Le Cras won't make it. Not enough strengths. Good, solid VFL footballer only IMO.

Who the fuc is zeke and why does he think he can refer to himself in the third person

At the time of this draft Cooney was a stand out. Then it was throw a blanket over the next 7.
I was over the moon that Tenace fell through to us at 7 as i had personally rated him at 3 and very happy with his output so far.
Melb. would be happy with Mclean and Sylvia now is finally starting to perform.
The gangly Bradley is now finding his feet.
Walker has the problem of the sensational 1st gamer syndrome but should be o.k.
Farren Ray has teased a bit but hasn't quite lived up to # 4 pick. Need's to develop more upper body strength.
The one player yet to show anything is Raph.Clarke pick # 8, who was touted in the same league as the others but has failed to produce so far. Perhaps some Saint's fans may be able to expand further on his progress.

OllieGrieve said:
Walker will be a gamebreaker if Tenace and Sylvia are going to be because he's an allround package, but is yet to put together consistent form. Walker hasn't had the luxury of being slowly introduced into a top 8 side like Tenace and Sylvia. But thrown to the wolves in a midtable side when he probably should still be developing in the two's.

Just because he is an allround package doesn't mean he will be a gamebreaker.

A gamebreaker is someone who will be able to take a game of footy by the scruff of the neck when someone needs to step up for their side.

I don't see Walker doing this. I do see Walker playing some top footy for Carlton over the next 10 years, but not as the man they will look at to win games for their club.

sylvia showcased only a bit of his potential on the weekend. cant wait to see him start ripping em up hopefully with 30 possesion games. McLean adds some depth and grunt to our midfield, great pickup along with moloney ofcourse

Remove this Banner Ad

Back