Preview Zephi Skinner - 2 games to make or break your career...

Remove this Banner Ad

We have had quite a but of success with our rookies and the rookie system.

This is exactly why he shouldn't be re-rookied, using up a spot when it's obvious he is not cut for AFL, a spot that could have gone to the next Dahlhaus/JJ/Campbell. Good players will fall through this draft, we want to open up some rookie spots to pick them up as well as another mature ager if we can fill an age gap.

Dropped. That's probably it for him for the season, will be interesting to see if we get rid of him or not. I would definitely cut him but I wouldn't be surprised at all if he survives

Dropped! Agreed that is it from Zephi then - add him to the de-list. All the best to Zephi for his future...

Given Djerrkura is still in the team, I think they must be still giving him a chance to prove his worth, although I personally don't see what we are persisting with.

Also, I think we should promote all 4 rookies, as I think we expect that all of them will be played next year...

Dropped! Agreed that is it from Zephi then - add him to the de-list. All the best to Zephi for his future...

Given Djerrkura is still in the team, I think they must be still giving him a chance to prove his worth, although I personally don't see what we are persisting with.

Also, I think we should promote all 4 rookies, as I think we expect that all of them will be played next year...

How many chances has Djerrkura had ! I don't get it ,we've all seen his performances this year - surely doesn't deserve a spot on the list next year .

With DJ, I think it's more we don't have any fit midfielders left.

With DJ, I think it's more we don't have any fit midfielders left.
I think Brodie Moles would offer a bit more in a depleted midfield, and hasn't managed to get a shot this year to stake a claim. At this stage I think the only value DJ could offer would be as a small forward at Jone's feet.
With regards to Zephi I think he has the talent to make it, just don't know whether we can afford to give him the extra 2 or 3 years it would take.

He gets 1 more year for mine. With Zephi he has to get senior games so we can discover what his role in the AFL actually is. He plays second ruck in the VFL (keeping Hill out of the Willi seniors, read into that what you will) which wont be his AFL role so it's useless putting him on the rookie list.

Zephi and Panos are two prime examples of why we probably need to leave Willi at years end. Both players are being played in positions they wouldn't play in the AFL and it's sabotaging their careers before they get a chance.

I think Brodie Moles would offer a bit more in a depleted midfield, and hasn't managed to get a shot this year to stake a claim. At this stage I think the only value DJ could offer would be as a small forward at Jone's feet.
With regards to Zephi I think he has the talent to make it, just don't know whether we can afford to give him the extra 2 or 3 years it would take.
I don't even give him that much credit - his goalkicking is atrocious! Even if he did know where the goals were, we could get much better small forward support in this year's draft. I seriously hope he's not retained, because I can't see him playing any real part in our future.

He's an X factor without any X.

Let's get ruthless - delist.
Why hasn't anyone said anything about Cordy and the fact he's been really disappointing this season. He's now 22 and I think it's time he showed more than what he has. He was so highly rated when drafted, but hasn't put a really strong performance at senior level yet.

Why hasn't anyone said anything about Cordy and the fact he's been really disappointing this season. He's now 22 and I think it's time he showed more than what he has. He was so highly rated when drafted, but hasn't put a really strong performance at senior level yet.
Hawkins (Geel) didn't turn it on 'til he was in his 22nd year. He was a monster as an 18 year old, he started a long way ahead of Cordy who looks to me to be still pretty fragile and injury prone. This year is Cordy's first year at senior level (I discount the few games at the end of last year). He's a lot better this year than the few games last year, if he doesn't further improve next year, you'd be right but it's still far too early to discard him.

You need to forget his age, this was his first year of proper development as it took 3 years to stack weight on and or his body to adjust to that ( his back more specifically) which is still happening. He was given a 3 year contract for good reason, once he puts on that final 5-6 odd kgs and builds some more strength he will be monstering opponents in forward line, has not been disappointing at all, right on track for his development. Comparing him to Skinner is like comparing DJ to Judd.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Let's not also forget that ruckmen and key forwards generally take a lot longer to develop than players in most other positions. Cordy's only really had one full year of development, so is a bit behind the pack. Rest assured, however, in the next two years he will become a force to be reckoned with. While he hasn't given an outstanding performance to date, he's done some amazing things well beyond his current level of development - don't lose faith, he's hugely promising and he'll come out a lot more improved next year. If in two years we're still having this discussion, well...that's a different story.

You need to forget his age, this was his first year of proper development as it took 3 years to stack weight on and or his body to adjust to that ( his back more specifically) which is still happening. He was given a 3 year contract for good reason, once he puts on that final 5-6 odd kgs and builds some more strength he will be monstering opponents in forward line, has not been disappointing at all, right on track for his development. Comparing him to Skinner is like comparing DJ to Judd.
Who said I was comparing him to skinner, all I said was everyone's bagging skinner when cordy is only 1 year younger, more highly rated, and yet to show what he should.

I remember reading the same stuff on this forum about Josh Hill last year (and the year before) but he seems to have made all his detractors look like a bunch of mugs this year. Leigh Matthews rated him one of the best pick-ups in the AFL this year, and added that West Coast got him for virtually nothing.

So, not too sure whether to believe everyones theories on here anymore about the players they dont like!

I remember reading the same stuff on this forum about Josh Hill last year (and the year before) but he seems to have made all his detractors look like a bunch of mugs this year. Leigh Matthews rated him one of the best pick-ups in the AFL this year, and added that West Coast got him for virtually nothing.

So, not too sure whether to believe everyones theories on here anymore about the players they dont like!
Hill is a massive, massive front runner. He's done * all for weeks while the Eagles haven't been playing their best footy. Would much rather Daniel Pearce, who we got with the pick the Eagles gave us. At least he's got a bit of agro in him.

Hill was easily on track to kick the most goals he's had in a year (2009 - 33), but he still hasn't done it.

Matthews is wrong. He also dissed Mitch Clark as a useless pickup for the dees, and he has been immense for them.

So true:

Scott Wynd, debut at 18, brownlow at 22, Captain at 24

Gary Dempsey, debut at 19, missed a fair bit of his 3rd year with burns, Best and Fairest at 22

The idea that ruckmen take time to develop doesn't really hold.

Ayce Cordy, recruited at 18, lost almost his entire first two and a half years through injury, debuted at 21. He's had one full preseason, comparing him to Wynd and Dempsey is completely unfair. Give him more time.

Just pointing out the myth most seem to have on here that ruckmen don't mature as a player until they are in their mid to late 20's (could also add Andrew Purser to that list as well).

Just pointing out the myth most seem to have on here that ruckmen don't mature as a player until they are in their mid to late 20's (could also add Andrew Purser to that list as well).
It's pretty reasonable to say that the majority of ruckmen don't play their best football until those mid 20's years, or until they get a big enough body, and get used to using it. Hardly a myth.

Ayce Cordy, recruited at 18, lost almost his entire first two and a half years through injury, debuted at 21. He's had one full preseason, comparing him to Wynd and Dempsey is completely unfair. Give him more time.
Yes, was also going to say nobody has mentioned how much time he has missed through injury. Could still be handy if he doesn't reach the heights of our Brownlow medallists :)

Oh yeah I'm not denying that ruckmen don't mature until then, but they generally play their best football in the 25-27 range, no matter how much they've developed. Either way, it's still unfair to place Cordy in a group of brilliant ruckmen who had 3-4 pre-seasons before hitting their peak when he's missed so much.

So true:

Scott Wynd, debut at 18, brownlow at 22, Captain at 24

Gary Dempsey, debut at 19, missed a fair bit of his 3rd year with burns, Best and Fairest at 22

The idea that ruckmen take time to develop doesn't really hold.

Yet how many reserve games did each of these players? Also remember the times these 2 played in, they would have been playing againest men at age 15

Remove this Banner Ad

Back