Roast Zero Round, Zero Clue

Remove this Banner Ad

You might need to think on those numbers. You mean 17 rounds for 18 teams, then 7 rounds for top 8? Not sure how that works for the bottom 10…

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I’m an ideas man. I’ll leave the details for the lawyers to work out.

I would be disappointed if any of the players, or any of the coaches complained about having to travel.

Where you play and who you play against in round 0 shouldn't matter.

Overall, GWS travel more than Collingwood. Every year. They will never get a home GF.

Perspective is important.

I would be disappointed if any of the players, or any of the coaches complained about having to travel.

Where you play and who you play against in round 0 shouldn't matter.

Overall, GWS travel more than Collingwood. Every year. They will never get a home GF.

Perspective is important.
It’s more so the concept that I think is wrong. Having the two grand final teams playing a week before most of the other sides is silly.

I would love for the first game each year to be the grand final replay on a Friday night.

The bigger issue for me, which isn’t specific to any particular club, is playing games in the first half of March, particularly in the northern states.

The Sydney v Melbourne game was a hard watch, compounded by the style of both teams and the dimensions of the SCG.

Opening Round creates further issues with the fixture, such as unequal byes and some teams playing others in Round 1 who have already had a hit-out. Much like Gather Round it’s an initiative from the AFL designed to maximise the AFL’s bottom line at the further expense of the integrity of the competition.

Carlton’s win on Friday has papered over some cracks. I’m not convinced that Opening Round would be viewed in the same light had Cameron kicked straight to put Brisbane 52 points up and likely on the way to a convincing win.

Despite this, none of the above in any way should be used or considered an excuse for what was an unacceptable, disjointed and apathetic performance last night, the likes of which we haven’t seen for awhile. What’s more disappointing is that it happened in the context of our draw, which unsurprisingly is one of the tougher draws this season (as it seems to always be).

Not until the spilt milk is cleaned.
I’ve adjusted the thread title and OP to be more respectful of Dillion.

Let’s hope he starts making some good decisions soon.

And if we had won?

Let’s be honest we have no reason to complain about travelling. We played 1 away game to start the season. So what.

The round is a success with the crowds for all 4 games. They achieved what they wanted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The thread title was made in anger. Happy to “sack up” to that.

I still believe the Zero Round was a bad idea.
I didn't even realise there was a zero round. I was just glad the season had started and didn't even question who was playing when and why. But given our result, I wish we were playing GWS next week now, though I am not sure how Friday night's game against the Swans would then fit in. I tune out to all the petty little innovations taking place around me and am generally happy being out of the loop.

Last edited:
It sucked. Wouldn’t have mattered if we’d played on the Showground first round but the 1st round of the season is meant to be exciting. Watch a feast of games for 4 days and welcome it back. This 3 or 4 game one off killed that vibe. Never again.

I think starting footy a week earlier is a good thing for fans.

The attendances and ratings I'm sure show it was well received by the general public too.

Once round 1 gets underway no one will care about round 0 anyway.

One thing I always find a bit strange with the AFL's continual push against the NRL is the fact that the AFL's revenue is significantly higher than the NRL's.

In 2023 the NRL was keen to tell everyone how it had made record revenues of $700m, however the AFL's annual report shows revenue of $961m. The AFL's underlying profits were almost half the NRL's for 2023, however certain factors such as the redevelopment of Docklands and the funding of 2 expansion teams probably go some way to explaining that disparity.

Despite the significant financial gap between the two codes, the AFL still seems willing to treat its core supporters in its heartland states with contempt, knowing that almost whatever rein it pulls, those supporters will continue to attend and invest in AFL.

Opening Round was, to me, a clear example of this. It was a concept generated from requests by the northern states for greater exposure and preferential treatment, to the detriment of the competition as a whole.

Don't care it was an away game but
a how does having stand alone games benefit the northern states? What's the difference if just a few games or all 9?
Could just have easily played 2 qld 2 nsw 2 sa 2 wa 1 tas if that's what they wanted.

Season starts too early. Essentially 25 rounds pre final bye and 4 weeks final. 30 weeks. That is really pushing it. Can have too.much of a good thing

How does playing a week earlier benefit the northern clubs?

It benefits them off-field by helping them promote the game. And given all four games were a sellout, that would indicate that it achieved the purpose.

Off-field is not a zero sum game. Just because it is benefiting the opposition, , it doesn’t mean it’s bad for us.

I’m all for it, can’t think of any reason why not? We’ll get to unfurl the flag soon enough.

If we had won on the weekend (and we’ve won our fair share at that ground in the past) nobody would be complaining about it.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back