Zidane's Headbutt

Remove this Banner Ad

Nip/Tuck said:
I'm still waiting for conformation from someone that Materazzi has been guilty of racial slurs before?

Either way, I can't imagine Zidane reacting that way to something minor. What will FIFA do about this? If true Materazzi deserves life, FIFA have been promoting this message for ages and some countries (noteably Spain and Italy) still haven't joined the rest of society in the 21st century. Sadly people like Spain's coach and Marco Materazzi will provide heroic figures to these small minded people.

Anyway Zizou, you did me proud.
If only he had headbutted Grosso then it would have been sweet revenge for us.

Embers said:
Umm are the last 2 posters for real, it was clearly a sending off regardless if he went down or not, maybe you should watch the first 7 mins of the game to discover what acting is really like

WTF are you on about. I was saying that Zindane had a brain fart. Anyone could see it was a straight red.

Don't think you were the only one up at 4am watching it mate.
:rolleyes:

Nip/Tuck said:
You're acting like you'd be surprised by it. ;)

Quite seriously though, this is the last thing Italian football needs after such a momentus and famous victory.

Italy's history and indeed recent history re; racism in football isn't good and the country and it's people don't deserve such a slur at a time for celebration such as this. They are trying to clean up their act, but something like this (if true) in the World Cup final would be 1000 steps back for the common relation of racism in Italian football.

I genuinely hope this isn't true, but if it is Marco Materazzi should cop an unprecedented ban. The bigger the stage, the bigger the punishment. And even in a Sunday league game the punishment should be ridiculously large.

Yea I agree.

Italy doesnt have a great history in relation to racism - both regional and international, however lets not count chickens yet.

People may be confussing Materazzi with Inter fans, or more specifically, the Zoro incident where Zoro picked up the ball after apparently being racially taunted by the fans. However, Materazzi was sort of thrown into this by telling Zoro he was attention seeking. It had nothing to do with Racism. Zoro confirmed this at the time.

Plus, if you think it would take much too get under ZZ your horribly mistaken. He has snapped numerous times. One of the best, yet one of the more thuggish players of his time (for someone at his ability level).

Smokin said:
Yea I agree.

Italy doesnt have a great history in relation to racism - both regional and international, however lets not count chickens yet.

People may be confussing Materazzi with Inter fans, or more specifically, the Zoro incident where Zoro picked up the ball after apparently being racially taunted by the fans. However, Materazzi was sort of thrown into this by telling Zoro he was attention seeking. It had nothing to do with Racism. Zoro confirmed this at the time.

Plus, if you think it would take much too get under ZZ your horribly mistaken. He has snapped numerous times. One of the best, yet one of the more thuggish players of his time (for someone at his ability level).
Fair enough.

I was aware Materazzi had some sort of racism cloud hanging over his head, but thanks for clarifying the exact details.

Zidane isn't as clean as some have portrayed in here, but surely (or at least you'd like to think so for the sake of his sanity) it would've taken something major for him to react in such a manner.

As you say though, it's best we wait and see what transpires in the next couple of days. I just hope Materazzi hasn't gone and wrecked what has been a superb tournament for him with anything silly.

Shocking way to go out for a champ. I am afraid that some may remember him for this little brain freeze instead of what he should be remembered for: being an absolute champion of the game for a long period of time.

But, I would like to see what was said to him. Zizou is not normally aggressive, rather quite timid. It must have been something very serious that Materrazzi said to him to tick him off like that.

Anyway, a shame to see, but well done Zizou on a fabulous career :thumbsu:

Materazzi probably said the same thing to Bellamy a few years ago when Bellamy headbutted him. Obviously he talks that much poo out on the pitch or he must really cut deep with the stuff he says.

Pity France didnt win, i hate Italy but to be honest i dont really care as i lost all interest when the best side on paper, in Argentina, lost out to the Germans.

Cooldude said:
Worst way to go out, ever

I dunno.

Would be a pretty funny story to tell the grandkids a decade or two from now: "I ended my career by flattening someone."

Cooldude said:
Worst way to go out, ever

Shame, he played such a wonderful game, too, and nearly won it with a bullet header.

Hope he ain't remembered just for that

It will also be forgotten that he continued to play on after dislocating his shoulder. Materazzi however deserved that and more if indeed it was a racial slur (probably deserved it regardless)

Jeremias said:
Zizou is not normally aggressive, rather quite timid.

You surely are being sarcastic? You do realise he has one of the shortest fuses in the game, dont you?

It's comments like this why I avoided this place during the WC.

0e6e4be9c44f2ebfb0c1b9b04af119.gif
1ad69da8e1f69815f596dfa2e5f2df.gif
3e7f592c08f45440fa9a57de44db19.gif
51b377375184bd2fe65a9b76fd7b9c.gif
125e067ac32841a86fc20e71015e58.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The bull one is the best.

Id headbutt that tosser as well.

Was disappointing to see him finish his career like that, but it just didnt seem a thing Zidane would do without provication. Wouldnt suprise me if Matz got racial with the great man. I still have the upmost respect for Zizou, what a player. Im just happy I got to see him play at the height of his career.

-Mav

Zidane should've punched him square in the face.:D If you're gonna get sent off, might as well make the most of it.:thumbsu:

Herbs said:
Zidane should've punched him square in the face.:D If you're gonna get sent off, might as well make the most of it.:thumbsu:

Would have crossed his mind, but his dislocated shoulder may have prevented him from throwing punches. Would have liked to see him get his oneys worth ala Chris Johnson against Ireland :D

Reports suggest the comment may have been racist towards Zidane- considering how this cup promoted "No Racism" very strongly, very poor from the Italian. Yeah, ZZ did the wrong thing but if the comments are a serious as being suggested, punishment needs to be strong on that Italian guy

Bombers_Forever said:
Reports suggest the comment may have been racist towards Zidane- considering how this cup promoted "No Racism" very strongly, very poor from the Italian. Yeah, ZZ did the wrong thing but if the comments are a serious as being suggested, punishment needs to be strong on that Italian guy

Would make him a repeat offender if true. Wouldn't be happy unless he got a life ban, at least from international football.

jo172 said:
If true that is a disgraceful act by Materazzi and I hope he's banned for life.

i hope it is (dirty italian pig), for it will also clear zidane somewhat and not leave an ever-lasting "stain" on an otherwise amazing career

Remove this Banner Ad

Back