Ziebell: Forget him

Remove this Banner Ad

They both bring something different to the table. As you say Sidebottom adds hardness but Hartlett is a bit classier and creative by hand and foot. Both are capable of winning contested footy and both are capable of going forward and kicking goals. Right now you'd have to say Hartlett has the runs on the board since u16's and would be the conservative pick. However it's also easy to forget that Sidebottom is bottom aged and has 12 months of development up his sleeve. I'm a big fan of the way Sidebottom approaches the game with a combination of footy smarts, confidence and hardness, but I'd probably have Hartlett just in front now. Just my opinion though, others may differ.

I wouldn't be upset to see either in navy blue.

Edit: I've had a frustrating couple of years following the TAC, my personal favourites seem to be around about but just outside our pick :(

The reason Sidebottom interests me is that the hammering Judd copped in the contested footy, we could really do with a Bartel,Mitchell,Lewis,Hayes type.

Could you compare Sidebottom to Bartel & Hartlett to Gibbs.

If so I'd rather Sidebottom.

Stay away from Hurley, There is big big question marks over his speed. Apparently he is heaps slow.

I hate this throw away line...

Big question marks by who? The geniouses on BF? :rolleyes:

There is no way Hurley will fall outside the top 10, he has just dominated far too much for that to happen.

His kicking skills for a big bloke are phenomenal

What do you mean his family? He isn't related to the Fergus Watts if that's what you mean.

There shouldn't be any issue with the go home factor anyway, you picked Boak two years ago and Lobbe last year with your first round picks, both from Victoria. If Watts does fall, i don't see you guys passing on him.

He's not? My apologies. I thought they were cousins.

I teach one of the bushranger boys (Sam Wright) and I spoke to him today about yesterday's game, which was obviously a great effort to come from 6 goals down. He said to me the only reason they won yesterday was due to two players. Number 1 = Steele 'rusty Sidebottom. Sam said that this guy absolutely chopped them to bits. Number 2 = Ziebel. He reckons that this guy has got all the attributes to be a Nathan Buckley type player. We can't lose in this draft. Priority is to get the best player (which should be Ziebel) then go after specific needs (defender with strength = hurley) win win I say.

By the looks of this thread if watts doesn't nominate then there's going to be alot of heartache on this board.
You realise Watts not nominating means Essendon might miss out on Hurley and the tall defender they desperately need? ;)

1. Melbourne: Naitanui
  2. WCE: Rich
  3. Fremantle: Hartlett, Ziebell or Vickery (need a ruckman to replace Warnock)
  4. Port: Vickery or Hurley (replacement for Tredrea and Wakelin who retired last year)
  5. Scum: Hartlett or Hurley
  6. Carlton: Hartlett

The above result would really suck for Carlton. :rolleyes:

Idiot. :eek:

By the looks of this thread if watts doesn't nominate then there's going to be alot of heartache on this board.

If I was advising Watts, i'd be telling him to nominate. I know he wants to stay in Melbourne to finish his schooling, but Patrick Dangerfield did the same thing last year. It can be done.

If I was advising Watts, i'd be telling him to nominate. I know he wants to stay in Melbourne to finish his schooling, but Patrick Dangerfield did the same thing last year. It can be done.

Exactly, i'm not sure why he wouldn't nominate TBH. The issue seems to be he wants to stay in Melbourne to complete year 12 but as you said he can do the same as what Dangerfield has done. It's not like there is any difference between being on a list this year than next, he'll be playing for Sandy and Brighton Grammar and doing year 12 either way.

I think he'll nominate whether the Dees say he will take him or not, he'd be silly not to IMO because alot can happen in one year.

how do you rate Sidebottom to Hartlett.

Is Sidebottom a bit tougher & better in the clinches?

Any chance of us taking Sidebottom before Hartlett.

Both are brilliant off either leg, are spring heeled jacks and are silky movers. Hartlett would be the better of the 2 through traffic and can really dance his way out of trouble where as Sidebottom would probably clear the ball more through grunt. Sidebottoms hardness is probably going to see him impact quicker at AFL level than Hartlett but in the long run I would say that Harts will be the better player of the 2. Just shades Sidbottom with decision making, awareness and X-factor for mine.

Funnily enough though if I was to pick the player who probably best fits our mid-field right now I'd go for Sidebottom.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You realise Watts not nominating means Essendon might miss out on Hurley and the tall defender they desperately need? ;)

1. Melbourne: Naitanui
  2. WCE: Rich
  3. Fremantle: Hartlett, Ziebell or Vickery (need a ruckman to replace Warnock)
  4. Port: Vickery or Hurley (replacement for Tredrea and Wakelin who retired last year)
  5. Scum: Hartlett or Hurley
  6. Carlton: Hartlett
The above result would really suck for Carlton. :rolleyes:

Idiot. :eek:

hahaha my comment was tongue in cheek fool, perhaps I should have included the relevant emoticon though just for you.
Vickery might be a top 5 pick but you do realise that you are making most of the clubs pick on needs and not best available so that Carlton can have the best available.

Just like every 15 year old and their phantom;)

nice touch on putting essendon as scum too by the way.

Both are brilliant off either leg, are spring heeled jacks and are silky movers. Hartlett would be the better of the 2 through traffic and can really dance his way out of trouble where as Sidebottom would probably clear the ball more through grunt. Sidebottoms hardness is probably going to see him impact quicker at AFL level than Hartlett but in the long run I would say that Harts will be the better player of the 2. Just shades Sidbottom with decision making, awareness and X-factor for mine.

Funnily enough though if I was to pick the player who probably best fits our mid-field right now I'd go for Sidebottom.

My thinking as well, if Watts doesn't nominate then Sidebottom may come into the mix.

1st preference still Ziebell.

I think all the rumours about watts not nominating are purely just rumours too. Why did didn't Deboer nominate last year?

I think all the rumours about watts not nominating are purely just rumours too. Why did didn't Deboer nominate last year?

Wanted to go to Uni for a year in WA.

Correct. Think he really wants to stay in WA. One of the very few Non-Victorian kids who really do not want to move.

My thinking as well, if Watts doesn't nominate then Sidebottom may come into the mix.

1st preference still Ziebell.

I have seen these boys a fair bit this year and I agree on ziebell .. He's probably not as silky as sidebottom or hartlett and hartlett is a genuine midfielder but ziebell is a player who can play anywhere and a player who can turn a game .Hope you dont get him

Didn't he win a cox plate?

Close second behind a storming Strawberry Road.

Made that up of course. Just loved the name of that horse. Any nag that made into the Yalumba Thoroughbred Tawny Port Range has got my vote. :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back