Ziebell or Sidebottom

Remove this Banner Ad

I pretty sure we where Super Keen for Ziebell and I think we might
even Rated him as the best player in the Draft.

Almost got to us at 11 but we got his Teammate Sidebottom that looks like a Gun but I think Ziebell would of been better because of his Height and Versatility.

Though super happy with Steele:thumbsu:

knightwheelrqr

Club Legend
Sep 21, 2009
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Ziebell is a ball accumulator. Sidebottom an incredible endurance runner. Depends what your team needs more.

I'll stick with Sidebottom, not that Ziebell will not be good for North Melbourne, but I like the big game factor to Sidebottom. Regardless of how big the game is he performs. Which particularly for Collingwood is important because all our games are big games.

For North Melbourne Ziebell should prove to be the right pick, but you won't hear me complaining about Sidebottom.

O

Old Spice

Isn't this a bit like saying, I wanted to go out with girl x but got girl y, still happy with girl y though. Dammed by faint praise by DTM.

HFF

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 25, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
FC Barcelona, Liverpool, FC Bayern
Ziebell would not have even been on our radar if still available at 11.

3 names were on the top of our list at 11 and they were Sidebottom, Beams and Swift.

Considering we got 2/3 players we wanted, we did extremely well.

Ziebell would not have even been on our radar if still available at 11.

3 names were on the top of our list at 11 and they were Sidebottom, Beams and Swift.

Considering we got 2/3 players we wanted, we did extremely well.

Emma Quayle told me we REALLY want Ziebell but thought he would not get to pick 11

Return of the Pies

Team Captain
Jul 19, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Well therein lies the problem Dave.

If we were mever a chance of getting Ziebell (as he was taken before us) why ask the question Ziebell or Rusty?

It's one of the common syptoms of New Thread Withdrawal Syndrome. It's nasty if you get it, your sense of logic and rational thought escapes you.
Get well soon DTM:p

presti35

Draftee
Jul 28, 2009
AFL Club
Collingwood
Emma Quayle told me we REALLY want Ziebell but thought he would not get to pick 11

When Nathan Buckley was in Canberra during 08 draft week he also signed copies of his book the shopping centre near the AIS. When he signed my book I asked "So who do you think the Pies will get with our first round pick?"...

His reply was "I know they're really keen on Sidebottom, but he'll go top 5 now after what he did in the TAC cup Grand Final. Other than Sidebottom I don't know as I'm not in the loop."

No offence to Emma Qualye but I think I'd rate Buckley's opinion over Qualyes.

As for people rating Ziebell over Sidebottom in their first year I disagree. Sidebottom had to fight his way into the top 22 of a top 4 side. Ziebell got game time in an ordinary team depleted by injury.

Steele's performance vs Crows was better than any of Ziebells for the year. When Ziebell performs in a final like steele did then maybe you can start evaluating who is better etc, after all finals is the benchmark for how we rate a champion from the rest.

joxstrap

Club Legend
Mar 31, 2008
Tas
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Liverpool
For those that might not have seen Ziebell in action throughout the year:

[youtube]-3gMDDsr5Yc[/youtube]

I personally think Ziebell has star quality, and will probably be a top 20 player of the comp. Extremely happy with Frontbum, and think he has similar potential. Very early on, but honours to Ziebell thus far.

edit: Particularly worth noting is his insane attack on the footy. His kicking skill is sublime too. He is just careless and fearless with his body, love watching him play.

Oct 8, 2004
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood VFL
I rated Ziebell at #2 last year - I would've preferred him, without any doubt - As anyone here could tell you, I was as early and as enthusiastic a shill for Steele Sidebottom with our first round pick last year, and I'd still go with Ziebell.

That said, Ziebell wasn't available when we picked, so it's not like we chose between the two - Ziebell sliding to #9 and being there for North was probably the main reason that we got our hands on Sidebottom in the first place - If it wasn't Ziebell at North's pick, it probably would have been Sidebottom.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I rated Ziebell at #2 last year - I would've preferred him, without any doubt - As anyone here could tell you, I was as early and as enthusiastic a shill for Steele Sidebottom with our first round pick last year, and I'd still go with Ziebell.

That said, Ziebell wasn't available when we picked, so it's not like we chose between the two - Ziebell sliding to #9 and being there for North was probably the main reason that we got our hands on Sidebottom in the first place - If it wasn't Ziebell at North's pick, it probably would have been Sidebottom.

Very True, I think it was because Freo picked Hill Instead of Rich

Jul 3, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Heat, Victory, Man Utd, Redskins
JZ would still be in front but we got a goodun too though.

In fact if Ziebell was at the Pies we'd be calling him the next Buckley.

Sidey might be a McGuane though :)

soreplums

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 29, 2009
malvern
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Boston Red Sox
There was also a late rumour that we were even considering Beams as our first pick, but thought we might be able to get him with our second because he was a Queenslander.

I'm just happy that Carlton chose Yarran... Ha Ha...

There was also a late rumour that we were even considering Beams as our first pick, but thought we might be able to get him with our second because he was a Queenslander.

I'm just happy that Carlton chose Yarran... Ha Ha...
That Rumour had been around for about a Month

soreplums

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 29, 2009
malvern
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Boston Red Sox
That Rumour had been around for about a Month

Well not so late then...

So should the thread read:

1) Ziebell, Sidebottom or Beams?

OR

2) Sidebottom or Beams? (Since Ziebell was not available at pick 11).

Makes no difference now that we have both of them.

What I assume (guessed) happned was that we were dead keen to take Beams at 11. It was predicted that Sidebottom would go to Essendon at pick 5 or North at 9. The fact that he slipped to us created a problem for Hine who ended up choosing Sidebottom on the basis that there was a chance that Beams would slide to 30. This obviously happened and the rest is history.

Was a great day Nov 29 2008. Gained two gun midfielders, Blight, Rounds and a fiancee

What I assume (guessed) happned was that we were dead keen to take Beams at 11. It was predicted that Sidebottom would go to Essendon at pick 5 or North at 9. The fact that he slipped to us created a problem for Hine who ended up choosing Sidebottom on the basis that there was a chance that Beams would slide to 30. This obviously happened and the rest is history.

Was a great day Nov 29 2008. Gained two gun midfielders, Blight, Rounds and a fiancee
Yep

Would have happily taken either Ziebell or Sidbottom, btu to get beams and then blight and to a lesser extent rounds well that is just awesome

I heard that we where intrested in Blight as high as Pick 11
Dave, Blight is a good prospect but he was taken mid 40s? why would we draft him at 11

Dave, Blight is a good prospect but he was taken mid 40s? why would we draft him at 11

Dave's not wrong here, there was a "rumour" that Blight was also being considered at 11, and we will soon see why, the kid could be anything.

But realistically, our list would have consisted of Sidebottom ahead of Beams, with a few other contingencies in place.

As for Ziebell, in a pure comparison between him and Sidebottom, Steele would win only because of the way he finished the season, and his outstanding performance (some say BOG) in the semi final.

Ziebell had the injury that prevented him from showing more of what he has, but I can actually see both of them being pretty similar players, and both in the "elite" category by their 3rd or 4th seasons.

King Woodie

Club Legend
Jul 13, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood

Did you propose to Leigh Brown?

Someone in the Media told me we highly rated Blight.

Plus Burgan said he could go as high as Pick 12:
12 – SYDNEY SWANS – LEWIS JOHNSTON
North Adelaide, SA, Tall forward, March 3, 1991, 192.8cm, 83.7kg
(Draft Range: 9-17)

A host of scenarios have been tossed up for the Swans' first pick. The most recent indicator is Johnston or Yarran, with one or both likely to be available at No.12. Johnston may have the edge, considering Barry Hall is nearing the end of his outstanding career. There is also a school of thought the Swans will select a player many regard as a top 30/second-round selection, which is where the likes of Nick Suban, Roughead, Ryan Schoenmakers, Heyne, Jarrad Blight, Mitch Brown (Sandringham Dragons), Jordan Lisle could enter the equation.

and

36 – WEST COAST – JARRAD BLIGHT
Swan Districts, WA, Medium defender, January 24, 1991, 188.8cm, 73.4kg
(Draft range: 18-36)

The hot tip for Blight is to West Coast. While more likely at No.18 or No.20, he is also a realistic chance of slipping through to No.36. No doubt Fremantle will monitor his whereabouts closely at No.21 and No.24, with the Brisbane Lions (25) and Collingwood (29) also right in the mix. And don't discount the Sydney Swans pulling off a surprise by plucking Blight with its first pick (12) or more likely its second (30).

Does mention him with us at 29

http://www.hawthornfc.com.au/news/blogarticle/tabid/8123/newsid/70169/default.aspx

Remove this Banner Ad

Back