Ziebell or Sidebottom

Remove this Banner Ad

presti35

Draftee
Jul 28, 2009
AFL Club
Collingwood
Player Comparison
http://finalsiren.com/PlayerCompare...4=&Compare=Add+to+Comparison&SelectedPlayers=

From prostats:

Average TOG Ziebell 82.1 and Sidebottoms 80.8
Average Critical errors to Sidebottom 1.5 to Ziebells 1.9
Effective disposal % to Sidebottom 73 to 67.1
Average Skill errors Ziebel 1.8 to Sidebottoms 1.5
Average clearances to Ziebell 1.9 to 1.4
Average Center bounce clearances to Ziebell 0.4 to 0.3
Average Contested possession to Ziebell 2.9 to 1.8

I guess you can argue either way based on the stats but they seem fairly similar. On a side note Ziebells career highs came from games involving Port Adelaide, Essendon and Richmond.

Personally I think both will be stars but I rate Sidebottoms less immediate regular season and superb final above that of Ziebells efforts in regular season. A near BOG performance in a pressure filled Final seems far more important to a regular season match against mediocre opposition.
[/SIZE]

Aug 29, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
When Nathan Buckley was in Canberra during 08 draft week he also signed copies of his book the shopping centre near the AIS. When he signed my book I asked "So who do you think the Pies will get with our first round pick?"...

His reply was "I know they're really keen on Sidebottom, but he'll go top 5 now after what he did in the TAC cup Grand Final. Other than Sidebottom I don't know as I'm not in the loop."

No offence to Emma Qualye but I think I'd rate Buckley's opinion over Qualyes.

As for people rating Ziebell over Sidebottom in their first year I disagree. Sidebottom had to fight his way into the top 22 of a top 4 side. Ziebell got game time in an ordinary team depleted by injury.

Steele's performance vs Crows was better than any of Ziebells for the year. When Ziebell performs in a final like steele did then maybe you can start evaluating who is better etc, after all finals is the benchmark for how we rate a champion from the rest.

100% agree, wouldn't trade Steele.

Jan 17, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
My order of preference pre-draft was Sidebottom, Ziebell and Beams.

I knew we wouldn't get both Sidebottom and Ziebell and never expected the other teams to be so stupid as to let Beams slide.

Ziebell, much like Rich, will probably have higher disposals than Sidebottom over the course of time, but I think Sidebottom will be much more damaging in crucial games.

Can't see the others kicking 6 or 7 goals in an important final.

Sidebottom on the other hand...

Sep 4, 2007
Melbs
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Manchester United, New York Knicks
I think Sidebottom will be the one with the higher disposal count. His engine is amazing, he won't stop running. He'll be similar to Dane Swan imo, but dual sided and better skills. Less physical strength though.

I think Sidebottom will be the one with the higher disposal count. His engine is amazing, he won't stop running. He'll be similar to Dane Swan imo, but dual sided and better skills. Less physical strength though.
Yeah, i think so too.

His endurance will see that earns plenty of the ball.

shawthing09

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 17, 2007
melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
I don't see how it is even relevant as we had no chance of getting Ziebell. Even so I think the importance of drafting the absolute best player avalible at your pick is overdone by many fans. Drafting is not exact so long as the player you pick makes it to an acceptable standard for the pick used more often then not your doing your job.

On this Ziebell certainly has more to offer as a player but it's a void point as he wasn't avalible and Steele looks good.

itwdandy

Team Captain
Nov 21, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Ziebell would not have even been on our radar if still available at 11.

3 names were on the top of our list at 11 and they were Sidebottom, Beams and Swift.

Considering we got 2/3 players we wanted, we did extremely well.

Sidebottom only came into calculations very late as he was not expected to slip passed 5 until about 20mins before the draft there was talk that he may slip to 8-9 so Hine pricked his ears up... He couldnt get the words "player no. $#%$#$ Steele Sidebottom" fast enough!!

Saying that, both will be mega stars for their respective teams and in years to come could go head to head on brownlow medal night. Not sure Ziebel has the "points" so far, Rusty had much stiffer competition getting into the Collingwood 22 than Ziebel had getting into North's 22.

Had Rusty not have been available at pick 11, im pretty sure we guaranteed Tommy Swift he was Collingwood bound at 11. Beams would have still been left to pick 29.

Sidebottom only came into calculations very late as he was not expected to slip passed 5 until about 20mins before the draft there was talk that he may slip to 8-9 so Hine pricked his ears up... He couldnt get the words "player no. $#%$#$ Steele Sidebottom" fast enough!!

Saying that, both will be mega stars for their respective teams and in years to come could go head to head on brownlow medal night. Not sure Ziebel has the "points" so far, Rusty had much stiffer competition getting into the Collingwood 22 than Ziebel had getting into North's 22.

Had Rusty not have been available at pick 11, im pretty sure we guaranteed Tommy Swift he was Collingwood bound at 11. Beams would have still been left to pick 29.

There was a Post night before the Draft that we would Draft Steele:rolleyes:

shawthing09

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 17, 2007
melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood

Sidebottom was very in the mix at 11 and only his grand final performance had people suggesting he may go earlier. It wasn't like he slid majorly.

Sidebottom was very in the mix at 11 and only his grand final performance had people suggesting he may go earlier. It wasn't like he slid majorly.

He did "slide" down the order, but it wasn't a last minute thing.

After his GF performance, he was being touted as being a top 5 pick, but in the time between the GF and the draft (about 2 months) he gradually slipped down the order, being touted as a late top 10 pick by draft day.

It wasn't a surprise that we got him at 11, but yes, Hine was very happy (and very quick) to read out Steele Sidebottom as our no.11 pick, and you can see why.

The only players taken ahead of him I would want at Collingwood at this stage are Hurley or Ziebell.

shawthing09

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 17, 2007
melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
He did "slide" down the order, but it wasn't a last minute thing.

After his GF performance, he was being touted as being a top 5 pick, but in the time between the GF and the draft (about 2 months) he gradually slipped down the order, being touted as a late top 10 pick by draft day.

It wasn't a surprise that we got him at 11, but yes, Hine was very happy (and very quick) to read out Steele Sidebottom as our no.11 pick, and you can see why.

The only players taken ahead of him I would want at Collingwood at this stage are Hurley or Ziebell.

Daniel Rich much?

My point was more that he went around the area that he was expected to all year, the fact that this was a suprise to many was more people over estimating the impact the grand final would have / under estimating how highly the players in front of him where rated.

It wasn't like he slid and was taken much later then he should have been, unlike say for example Daniel Rich.

soreplums

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 29, 2009
malvern
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Boston Red Sox
We were tracking Sidebottom for quite a while, being more interested in him about 6-8 weeks before the TAC GF. We were also looking at Ziebell, Swift and Yarran.

When I found out that we were keen on Sidey, I was watching the GF thinking... F#@%! We've lost him!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We were tracking Sidebottom for quite a while, being more interested in him about 6-8 weeks before the TAC GF. We were also looking at Ziebell, Swift and Yarran.

When I found out that we were keen on Sidey, I was watching the GF thinking... F#@%! We've lost him!
How do you know this - Never heard about our Interest in Yarren:eek:

Sep 4, 2007
Melbs
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
I'd only be trading him for Naitanui, Rich or Hurley right now.

Sidebottom was my favourite junior before the draft. It isn't often you find your favourite junior getting drafted to your club when you don't have a top 10 pick. In terms of intelligent, he is better than anyone else in the draft for mine, or at worst equal. He makes the right decision everytime he gets the ball. You can't have that attribute and not be a great player imo. I know a guy who works in the AFL system at a club, he went to our training last Friday to write up a report on us for his club. He reckons Sidebottom is easily a stand out for us.

cannons

Premiership Player
Jun 1, 2005
Location, Location
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal
This is an utterly ridiculous thread. You had no chance to get Ziebell, as he was taken before your pick, so why even consider it?

It's like me saying I would've preferred Chris Judd to Luke Molan in the 2001 super draft.

Absolutely irrelevant.

Further, I'm enjoying this business about Collingwood considering Sidebottom, Beams and Blight at pick 11, and then all three just magically ending up at Collingwood.

Hilarious reading.

Sep 4, 2007
Melbs
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
This is an utterly ridiculous thread. You had no chance to get Ziebell, as he was taken before your pick, so why even consider it?

It's like me saying I would've preferred Chris Judd to Luke Molan in the 2001 super draft.

Absolutely irrelevant.

Further, I'm enjoying this business about Collingwood considering Sidebottom, Beams and Blight at pick 11, and then all three just magically ending up at Collingwood.

Hilarious reading.
It's a pure fact we considered Beams at 11. We would never have considered Blight though.

cannons

Premiership Player
Jun 1, 2005
Location, Location
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal
It's a pure fact we considered Beams at 11. We would never have considered Blight though.

Yeah, agreed. I can believe two of the players (Steele & Beams in this case) you selected being considered for your first round pick, but three is just ridiculous, particularly when Blight wasn't chosen until 30+ picks later.

I have no idea where people get these ideas from.

shawthing09

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 17, 2007
melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Yeah, agreed. I can believe two of the players (Steele & Beams in this case) you selected being considered for your first round pick, but three is just ridiculous, particularly when Blight wasn't chosen until 30+ picks later.

I think there has been some confusion Beams was certainly considered at 11 if Steele was unavalible and I believe in that scenario Blight was considered at 29.

It's all speculation obviously and recruiters say similar things after the fact every year, that said I think both Beams at 29 and Blight at 45 are real steals.

Daniel Rich much?

Nup, I'd take Sidebottom ahead of Rich, I actually preferred Sidebottom's finals performance over Rich's, who didn't have a touch till all the Calrton mids were buggered in the last quarter due to no rotations like Brisbane did.

Sidebottom over Rich any day of the week, even now, and especially in the future, just my opinion though.:D

Aug 17, 2009
In the Country,VIC
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Phila 76ers , Phila Eagles , Man U
Beams and Sidebum are gonna be guns. That's all that matters, to me anyways.
Must be boring over on the Melbourne board if your posting in here. Good to get some feedback from other supporters as long as they aint smart arse Carlton supporters.

Beams and Sidebum are gonna be guns. That's all that matters, to me anyways.
Must be boring over on the Melbourne board if your posting in here. Good to get some feedback from other supporters as long as they aint smart arse Carlton supporters.

I also don't mind Other Supporters joining in as long they not trolls

soreplums

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 29, 2009
malvern
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Boston Red Sox

I think it came from an article stating that collingwood were keen on him at 29 but don't be surprised if the swans swoop on him at pick 12.

But definitely correct about sidebottom and beams

Aug 29, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
Nup, I'd take Sidebottom ahead of Rich, I actually preferred Sidebottom's finals performance over Rich's, who didn't have a touch till all the Calrton mids were buggered in the last quarter due to no rotations like Brisbane did.

Sidebottom over Rich any day of the week, even now, and especially in the future, just my opinion though.:D

I agree, Sidebottom is a gun.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back