cannons

Premiership Player
Jun 1, 2005
Location, Location
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal
I think there has been some confusion Beams was certainly considered at 11 if Steele was unavalible and I believe in that scenario Blight was considered at 29.

It's all speculation obviously and recruiters say similar things after the fact every year, that said I think both Beams at 29 and Blight at 45 are real steals.

Yeah, that makes it a little easier to understand.

Melbourne were in a similar situation during the previous draft. Prior to the draft commencing at a club function, CC said that we were interested in Gawn at 18 and Fitzpatrick at 34. However, due to Tapscott being available at 18, we then picked Gawn at 34 and Fitzpatrick at 50, so it all worked out pretty well in the end.

Beams and Sidebum are gonna be guns. That's all that matters, to me anyways.
Must be boring over on the Melbourne board if your posting in here. Good to get some feedback from other supporters as long as they aint smart arse Carlton supporters.

I think Sidebottom will be a gun, however I'm not totally sold on Beams just yet, but we'll have to wait and see.

Well, I was heading to the Melbourne board and saw this was the most recently posted in thread on your board, and it sounded kind of interesting, so I thought I'd pop in.

I think it came from an article stating that collingwood were keen on him at 29 but don't be surprised if the swans swoop on him at pick 12.

But definitely correct about sidebottom and beams

Another possible and reasonable explanation for the confusion.

Thanks.

Sep 4, 2007
Melbs
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Manchester United, New York Knicks
It's weird actually, I'd have expected opposition supporters to be more sold on Beams than Sidebottom. Beams had the superior debut season, and actually managed to get some Brownlow votes. Perhaps it's the semi-final performance sticking in their memories.

Jul 3, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Heat, Victory, Man Utd, Redskins
It seems to escape everyones attention that Beams kicked 15 odd goals from the midfield from a similar amount of games in his first year. A goal a game from any midfielder is a great return.

storky26

Draftee
Mar 12, 2007
AFL Club
Collingwood
Ive watched Ziebell and Sidebottom since they were 14 both being VIC country and bushanger teammates.

Ziebell is absolute freak. Extremely strong for his age and fearless when it comes to contested footy. His best attributes are kicking (right foot) and his attack on the ball. He much prefers to kick rather than handpass and he can cover 50 metres easy. Also he loves a good contested mark. He was the MVP for AIS on their tour of South Afirca and Buckley was a massive fan. Everyone that coaches him loves his attitude.

Sidebottom is also a freak, such a rounded player with no flaws. He is strong overhead but his main strength is his kicking. Both feet are as good as each other. Oh and dont forget his running ability has to be the best runner at the pies.

Both have great footy sense.

It is hard to compare the two. I was over the moon with Sidebottom but if could of had any other player in the 2008 draft it would have been Ziebell.

The absolute ideal would have been to get Sidey and Zeibell in the same side.

If we traded Dids to Port to get Pick 4 we could of

On the same note who picked up Rockcliff in the end?

Brisbane did in the PSD

Michael_knoth

Team Captain
Suspended
Jul 26, 2008
Malvern
AFL Club
Collingwood
I saw zeibell play against collingwood this year and he's got the goods. Started off really well I was thinking he was a shoe in for the rising star. I think zeibell will be a star. Sidebottom I've got really high hopes for but if j had the choice of the two in either draft day or today with my hindsight I think zeibell would Be the pick. Zeibell or sidey and beams however... Well that's the easiest decision ever

(Log in to remove this ad.)

G.Williams esque more so, Sidebottom has elite endurance, goal kicking midfielder, footy smarts, great hands, genuinely duel sided inside mid.

A few years more in the gym is all he needs and you watch him explode.
Yeah but sidebottom doesnt run straight past a pack so he can kick an uncontested possession 20m away like diesel did.

Steele doesnt mind a bit of actual body contact

Michael_knoth

Team Captain
Suspended
Jul 26, 2008
Malvern
AFL Club
Collingwood
I see sidebum as more of. Hird type. Not quick just very goodat reading the plAy andgetting to the right spot. Excellent disposal as well as knowing where the goals are

zeibell I see as more of a Cousins type player. Good disposal good reader of the play and just backs himself.

Obviously I'm notsaying they'll be as good as these players but just think they'll have a similar playing style to those players

popathon

Club Legend
Oct 11, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Cavs, Browns, Indians
I need to watch more of Ziebell how to those that know how much improvement does h ehave in him?
I think Hill and Naitanui will be the best 2 from this draft. I love Hill and would probably take him over Rusty as i think draft with Beams (inside) and Hill (Speed) would be ideal. In saying that i am extremely happy with Rusty and i love his tackling tenacity.

Ziebell would not have even been on our radar if still available at 11.

3 names were on the top of our list at 11 and they were Sidebottom, Beams and Swift.

Considering we got 2/3 players we wanted, we did extremely well.
If Ziebell was still there at #11, the radar would have been moot. Taking Ziebell would have been as obvious as Aaron Sandilands going for a train ride at the Eltham miniature railway.

I rated Ziebell at #2 last year - I would've preferred him, without any doubt - As anyone here could tell you, I was as early and as enthusiastic a shill for Steele Sidebottom with our first round pick last year, and I'd still go with Ziebell.
You did, and I agreed with you. Still very happy with Sidebottom though, we did well to get him at #11 and possibly even better to get Beams at #29, and time will tell but perhaps better still to get Blight at #45!

Did you propose to Leigh Brown?
I LOL'd... was thinking the same thing. :p

Vampire013

Club Legend
Dec 5, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
We took Blight at 45 and Rounds at 46.
A bloke named Tom Rockliff who was a team mate of Sidebottom and who also starred in TAC GF was overlooked.
He was taken by Brisbane in PSD with pick #5.
Goes pretty well that bloke !

Remove this Banner Ad

Back