News Ziebell stakes claim for Kangaroos' top job

Remove this Banner Ad

Ziebell has been a natural leader even as a junior, you know the type, the leader types do usually make good footballers but not all good footballers are good leaders.

It is not just how he applies himself, it is the respect they command from those around them, when they talk others sit up and listen and it is not forced, leaders have that presence about them, they take charge.

It is obvious with Ziebell, he has had this presence even as a kid. That doesn't mean Swallow doesn't have great qualities as a leader, if we didn't have Jack he might have made for an outstanding leader, but when you have a wealth of leaders you should really opt for the best you have at your disposal, not the one that is older.

I think we should have the primary leadership group of Ziebell (captain), Swallow (vc), Harvey, Petrie, Wells and Grima or Thompson. I want to see someone in the back line take charge. Petrie does it up forward and we have the mid leaders.

I think Levi and Cunners should also be encouraged to work on that area, I think they have potential and they should be looking to come in to replace the eventual retirees. We have an insanely strong group in terms of leadership material, we just need to hone them now from raw into polished.

Ziebell has been a natural leader even as a junior, you know the type, the leader types do usually make good footballers but not all good footballers are good leaders.

It is not just how he applies himself, it is the respect they command from those around them, when they talk others sit up and listen and it is not forced, leaders have that presence about them, they take charge.

It is obvious with Ziebell, he has had this presence even as a kid. That doesn't mean Swallow doesn't have great qualities as a leader, if we didn't have Jack he might have made for an outstanding leader, but when you have a wealth of leaders you should really opt for the best you have at your disposal, not the one that is older.

I think we should have the primary leadership group of Ziebell (captain), Swallow (vc), Harvey, Petrie, Wells and Grima or Thompson. I want to see someone in the back line take charge. Petrie does it up forward and we have the mid leaders.

I think Levi and Cunners should also be encouraged to work on that area, I think they have potential and they should be looking to come in to replace the eventual retirees. We have an insanely strong group in terms of leadership material, we just need to hone them now from raw into polished.

Don't forget Patch. I think he actually captained Vic Metro as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back