Ziebell's dream debut

Remove this Banner Ad

Ziebell's dream debut

9:53 AM Sat 21 February, 2009
Ziebell_Blues246x316a.jpg

Jack Ziebell looks for options against Carlton on Friday night

NORTH MELBOURNE young-gun Jack Ziebell says the build-up to his first official AFL match was unlike anything he has ever experienced.

Speaking post-match after impressing with two goals and 12 touches against Carlton at Telstra Dome on Friday, Ziebell said his pre-match was completely different to his days as an under-18 star.

"Normally, I s--- myself before a game, but I was just excited," Ziebell, who was the ninth player selected in last year's NAB AFL Draft, told kangaroos.com.au.

"The build up wasn't too bad. I was running around with all of my teammates in a Roos' jumper and it's a good honour and I just want to take every opportunity I get and make the most of it."

"To tell you the truth, I've never ever been really fit, so the half pre-season that the draftees did has helped a lot, so it's probably the fittest I've been right now.

"[Being] a top-10 draftee – it's doesn't matter, as long as you've got the opportunity, you've got to make the most of it and you've got to prove yourself.

Ziebell said he was pleased with his first-up performance – as was his coach Dean Laidley – but he was disappointed the club couldn't advance into the second round of the NAB Cup, after going down by 53 points.

"On a personal basis I am [pleased with my debut], but I made a few errors and I'll sit down with the coaches, so I've just got to work on those and try and improve the next time I'm playing," Ziebell said.

"It was disappointing not to come away with a win, because you try so hard over the pre-season and to put up that effort first up was not the ideal start, but that's what this [NAB Cup] is for.

"We'll have a few points to work on at training and I'm sure the boys will get back there and work hard and try to remember it all and hopefully, by round one, we should be right to go."

Ziebell said the best thing about being a player in the AFL was that "it's your job".

"It's your dream as a kid, so I'm just going to make the most of the opportunities, so I can stick at this game for as long as I can, whether that's one or two or 10 years."

"When I come out of it, I just want to know that I've given my all.

"The Kangaroos make you welcome. It's just a great club.

"There are a lot of volunteers who stick their hand up and I think that's what builds a club and everyone has so much respect for each other.
"It's just a great place to be."

Dream Team watch – Jack Ziebell is rated a $118,600 forward in Toyota AFL Dream Team 2009.
kangaroos.com.au

Great article on Jack and chins up everyone this kid could be the excitment machine of 2009 .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back