Ziebell's game

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Zeibell again showed he has the ability to do damage when he is in the forward half of the field where he has room to move as opposed to be stuck in a pack in the middle of the ground because he doesn't have that explosive pace and definitely wont have that spring or confidence after two broken legs.

Ziebell will become a fantastic player assuming his run of terrible injuries ends. What is important for him this year is to finish the season without getting hurt.

He just needs continuity and his confidence will improve the more games he strings together.

I think this is where the leadership of the captain and the coaching smarts of Scott comes. When a player is low in confidence and out of form while it is up to the player himself to get himself out of it however the player can only do so much. The leadership group need to carefully and professionally nurture him along and the coach need to have vision and smarts to bring out the player's strength.

This is where a coach like malthous, sheedy, pagan will be superior than the likes of the younger coaches. But having said that Scott need to get ziebell focused, get ziebell to know the big picture and where ziebell fit in and what ziebell need to do to get himself to fit in. So in order to do all this, the onus is actually on the coach to do research to find out what kind of person and player ziebell is and what kind of person and player ziebell will become in 1, 5 and 10 years. Only then can the coach implement a road map to achieve it.

Been terrible all year, seriously people need to stop making excuses for his poor form to date. If his legs aren't ready then he should be getting his confidence back in the VFL.

He should play VFL footy until he deserves his place back in the side.

Seriously becoming a protected species based on potential, rather than actual output.

I am by no means saying he won't get his act together, but at the moment is not up to the level.

Been terrible all year, seriously people need to stop making excuses for his poor form to date. If his legs aren't ready then he should be getting his confidence back in the VFL.

He should play VFL footy until he deserves his place back in the side.

Seriously becoming a protected species based on potential, rather than actual output.

I am by no means saying he won't get his act together, but at the moment is not up to the level.

It's not his fault if Bon wants him in the starting 22.

This "season people are talking about is three games old. Jack is lacking a bit of confidence, but I think it's clear to most why this would be the case. I thought his game against Collingwood was fine and I thought he did some super things v Freo. Some s**t for sure, but he's not on his own there.
He\s a gun. Just needs to find his way again. He'll kill them this week.

I am just astounded how quickly people are to jump on the back of players like Hansen, yet arguably Jack Zeibell who has ben far worse this season is given all the excuses in the world for performing below the level required.
Fair point. If I'm honest, I'm of them. Why? Good question. Probably leniency towards Jack due to time out of the game. I'm not sure Lachie has a similar excuse (other than the woeful delivery).

Sweet Geebus I thought he did quite well as the game went on, if anything I reckon he tried to hard early.He seems a pretty proud fella and would love to make his mark on the comp.Personally I saw enough on Sunday to quash any fears I had as to whether he'd make it or not.Due of course to his injuries.

I'll call it, I don't think he'll be the player we expect him to be. He is too slow and doesn't have any idea of how to position himself in a contest. Playing as a kid against adults in his younger days has probably contributed to this habit. He needs some intensive re-training or to be positioned somewhere else. He is certainly no mid fielder and it seems they are already moving him around the ground to see where he can be useful.

I'm going to call this as the most shitfully poor analysis of football that I have EVER read on this site. No offence dude, but you've embarrassed yourself with this post.

I'm going to call this as the most shitfully poor analysis of football that I have EVER read on this site. No offence dude, but you've embarrassed yourself with this post.

Well said snrub ,Look ziebell isnt playing as well as he has done but I looked at the game again last night and the kid does a lot of hard work to get the ball out I counted at least five bits of play where by his efforts we scored or got the ball out to our players something very few in the team do . If he hadnt dropped a couple of sodas he may well have ended up with 4-5 goals. His run and goal from outsdide 50 i think are things to come he was/is a very good kick . I think his pace is under rated he is slow jogging but his cruising speed is ok and he gets through traffic ok . I just think he's lost a bit of touch but is finding it . ....Or maybe it's just that Bon and the selection panel know nothing about him and forget he's in the team .

Ziebell, I had it pointed out to me today, trained 1 day a week before we drafted him. Was thrown straight into senior footy, broke his leg two years in a row, and has just had his first full pre-season. He is miles behind his contempories in his fitness base.
Sufficed to say the club is more than content with his development, which is enough for me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would love him to prove me wrong but I've coached enough at lower levels to see where certain faults exist. All credit to his commitment to winning the ball but he does put himself at risk of injury the way he does it. I'm suggesting that he smashes through without that innate sense of shoulder & hip use to absorb impact, for example, but rather in a manner where he's the one wide open.
If you care to look over some game tapes you might observe the amount of times he goes to ground in marking contests, again in a manner that shows no understanding of how to place your body to your advantage. (In the NAB cup he almost snapped his back in half due to the weird way he launched himself in to one contest).
My point is that unless he uses his body in a more effective way he'll continue to receive self induced injuries which will lead to the cycle of missed matches, rehab etc and a shortened and unfulfilled career. ( And don't get me started on his lack of pace!)

Would love him to prove me wrong but I've coached enough at lower levels to see where certain faults exist. All credit to his commitment to winning the ball but he does put himself at risk of injury the way he does it. I'm suggesting that he smashes through without that innate sense of shoulder & hip use to absorb impact, for example, but rather in a manner where he's the one wide open.
If you care to look over some game tapes you might observe the amount of times he goes to ground in marking contests, again in a manner that shows no understanding of how to place your body to your advantage. (In the NAB cup he almost snapped his back in half due to the weird way he launched himself in to one contest).
My point is that unless he uses his body in a more effective way he'll continue to receive self induced injuries which will lead to the cycle of missed matches, rehab etc and a shortened and unfulfilled career. ( And don't get me started on his lack of pace!)

Honestly, are you for real? We have a bloke who has too much courage. You're going to look incredibly silly by the end of the season.

He was scratchy in patches, but I thought he started to turn the corner now that the coach has woken up and started to play him as a utility. He kicked 2 goals and had a direct hand in 2 others, and he showed us all what he could do with a 5 minute burst. He'll be right. 70% forward line, 15% half back and 15% midfield is a nice blend.

He was scratchy in patches, but I thought he started to turn the corner now that the coach has woken up and started to play him as a utility. He kicked 2 goals and had a direct hand in 2 others, and he showed us all what he could do with a 5 minute burst. He'll be right. 70% forward line, 15% half back and 15% midfield is a nice blend.

There seems to be an expectation that he'll be the next Glen Archer in terms of physical presence but I think that is to his detriment. They seem to be shifting him around now to find a more suitable focus for him so hopefully that works.

There seems to be an expectation that he'll be the next Glen Archer in terms of physical presence but I think that is to his detriment. They seem to be shifting him around now to find a more suitable focus for him so hopefully that works.

His hardness at the contest cannot be denied. I don't understand how being compared to Glen Archer can be viewed as detrimental. The kid is a dyed in the wool utility and he is going to have a big impact on many matches for the NMFC.

I found his game exciting, mainly for his sake as he was looking like a player desperately working hard to find some form and the look after those 2 goals was magic.

While I don't have 13 different Ziebell to CHF badges on my jacket like The Teflon Obsteatrics I do think that there is more to JZ than just a pure inside midfielder, he's just too talented overhead and with his body positioning to not use around the ground at times. Ideally he gets his endurance over the next 2-3 years to an exceptional level and he can move wherever the hell he wants.

Never said it was.

I am just astounded how quickly people are to jump on the back of players like Hansen, yet arguably Jack Zeibell who has ben far worse this season is given all the excuses in the world for performing below the level required.

As anyone with sense would. Ziebell is almost a first year player. 2 season ending injuries in 2 years, he's never had the opportunity to get a fitness base up.

Hansen has played the whole time, we all know he's supremely talented, but he comes across as lazy and doesnt have any grit or agro to make him a forward, so until he rips a game apart he will always be looked upon as not fulfilling his potential.

Hansen has played the whole time, we all know he's supremely talented, but he comes across as lazy and doesnt have any grit or agro to make him a forward, so until he rips a game apart he will always be looked upon as not fulfilling his potential.

I don't recall Hansen lacking in grit and determination last season when he was in form. Just because he doesn't run around snarling doesn't mean he's not having a go.

The boy can seriously play as he has shown on many an occasion. He just seems down on form and confidence. Hopefully he clunks a couple early on Sunday and it all comes flowing back.

I don't recall Hansen lacking in grit and determination last season when he was in form. Just because he doesn't run around snarling doesn't mean he's not having a go.

The boy can seriously play as he has shown on many an occasion. He just seems down on form and confidence. Hopefully he clunks a couple early on Sunday and it all comes flowing back.

Clunking a few would help :p

But look at the best CHF & FF's in the game. You s**t yourself when they get the ball kicked to them and they're one on one. Cause if they dont mark it, you know they'll bring it down to advantage.

But really we shouldnt be hating on the Z man. As Petrie said during the week, because of his setbacks its unlikely he'll get the required match fitness for another 1-2 years. People want him to get 30 possessions straight away need to wake up.

Clunking a few would help :p

But look at the best CHF & FF's in the game. You s**t yourself when they get the ball kicked to them and they're one on one. Cause if they dont mark it, you know they'll bring it down to advantage.

But really we shouldnt be hating on the Z man. As Petrie said during the week, because of his setbacks its unlikely he'll get the required match fitness for another 1-2 years. People want him to get 30 possessions straight away need to wake up.

Mate, I love Jacky Z, and I was really excited by a couple of things he did on the weekend. People forget that like Cunners, he's 4-5 years away from his peak.

I agree that Hansen is no Lockett, Hall or Carey when it comes to intimidation, but still when he's in form he doen't get out marked too often. Have faith he'll be right:thumbsu:

The current era is no longer a game ruled by dominant forwards. The game today is more so a team game. The collingwood's 2010 effort clearly demonstrated a team's game. We still need 2 solid key forward but the load on the small forwards is much greater.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back