Ziebell's game

Remove this Banner Ad

The current era is no longer a game ruled by dominant forwards. The game today is more so a team game. The collingwood's 2010 effort clearly demonstrated a team's game. We still need 2 solid key forward but the load on the small forwards is much greater.

I'll think you'll find that the Collingwood game plan is based upon the ability of its two big forwards to compete. Travis Cloke is the best contested mark in the league and Dawes is closing in fast. Collingwood is hardly ever beaten in the air inside F50 and then its rotating smalls and mids lock it in until they goal. They also use a dominant tall as the outlet on the wings, to either release from the backline or get the ball out of bounds so they can reset from the ruck. Be prepared to see the dominant big forwards to be back in place and others try to copy this style. (and all prmiership sides that I can recall have at least one big dominant forward)

I'll think you'll find that the Collingwood game plan is based upon the ability of its two big forwards to compete. Travis Cloke is the best contested mark in the league and Dawes is closing in fast. Collingwood is hardly ever beaten in the air inside F50 and then its rotating smalls and mids lock it in until they goal. They also use a dominant tall as the outlet on the wings, to either release from the backline or get the ball out of bounds so they can reset from the ruck. Be prepared to see the dominant big forwards to be back in place and others try to copy this style. (and all prmiership sides that I can recall have at least one big dominant forward)

If you put Dawes and Cloke in our team and Hansen and Petrie in Collingwood do you think that would make a bit of difference in terms of effectiveness?

Collingwood play a very good team game but anyone who doesn't attribute a significant part of the blame in terms of forward effectiveness to the delivery is not fair dinkum.

I've got a strong feeling that Jack will finally click on sunday. He might even find himself at full forward.

Edwards is gone and we have no backup ruckman so that very well may be the case.

We do have a heap of defenders selected with a couple in Richardson and Rawlings capable of playing in the middle. McMahon has played forward before.

My guess would be Jack spends quite a bit of time up forward this week.

Very interesting comments by Gary Lyon on Triple M today, normally I wouldnt bother posting but thought this has real merit and everyone has been coming down really hard on Ziebell, here and in the media.

Gary likened him to Jobe Watson. Both recruited with high potential, tough inside brute players. But as Ziebell is now, Jobe was always let down by his questionable skills and lack of a tank to take his game from average player to dead set gun. They were saying he took on a boxing coach either pre 2009 or at the end of that season who absolutely belted the s**t out of him (fitness wise) and he worked his body so hard that he found a new threshold that he could push himself. Now he is one of the star midfielders in the comp. JB was in the box so I hope he took it all on board.

Gary is usually on the money and he can see the talent there but stressed you have to be willing to work beyond the bare minimum a club may set in this day and age when you arent blessed with natural running ability. It gave me hope he will make it.

would like to see the video of jacks ?? marking effort { around 27 min mark of 4th 1/4 yesterday,} i thought for once the pill had been kicked to his advantage,but instead of attacking it and taking the mark,attempted some lame sort of search for body contact and ended up on his arse,richmond player keeps feet and drives the ball back into their forward 50,game over, and then hear comments about it,at the game,at the time i thought we were still right in it but this was the final straw.oh errol or giant roo any chance ???

I could point out 7 or 8 moments in Ziebell's game yesterday that back up what I said last week, but apparently I'm an idiot so I won't.

would like to see the video of jacks ?? marking effort { around 27 min mark of 4th 1/4 yesterday,} i thought for once the pill had been kicked to his advantage,but instead of attacking it and taking the mark,attempted some lame sort of search for body contact and ended up on his arse,richmond player keeps feet and drives the ball back into their forward 50,game over, and then hear comments about it,at the game,at the time i thought we were still right in it but this was the final straw.oh errol or giant roo any chance ???

His last quarter overall (which I've just finished watching) was pathetic. This highlighted effort was just another example of why he needs to go back and develop some run and confidence.

I've got a strong feeling that Jack will finally click on sunday. He might even find himself at full forward.

I just can't see Conca or Batchelor being big enough to deal with Jack.

Geez....Your a good judge !!!!

Tell me, how long did Jack play on Conca or Batchelor Einstein?

He was very good in the first quarter and a half and then the coach moved him all over the place.

If the coach thinks it's wise to use up all the fuel tickets of a burst player, and probably the only bloke in our side that can kick a 60 metre goal, scrapping under packs, then that's his prerogative.

Very interesting comments by Gary Lyon on Triple M today, normally I wouldnt bother posting but thought this has real merit and everyone has been coming down really hard on Ziebell, here and in the media.

Gary likened him to Jobe Watson. Both recruited with high potential, tough inside brute players. But as Ziebell is now, Jobe was always let down by his questionable skills and lack of a tank to take his game from average player to dead set gun. They were saying he took on a boxing coach either pre 2009 or at the end of that season who absolutely belted the s**t out of him (fitness wise) and he worked his body so hard that he found a new threshold that he could push himself. Now he is one of the star midfielders in the comp. JB was in the box so I hope he took it all on board.

Gary is usually on the money and he can see the talent there but stressed you have to be willing to work beyond the bare minimum a club may set in this day and age when you arent blessed with natural running ability. It gave me hope he will make it.

Yeah i heard this too, found it really intersting and i guess gave me some hope? mind you ive never thought zeebs is a s**t footballer or thought he wont make it or anything, definately has the tools there but geez his fitness is a long way off. i would love to see him go back to the magoos for a bit n just get abit of confidence n all back n hopefully get through the year unscathed, then really get stuck in to a big preseason. also hope they continue with the hi-alt training (although i dont understand why they need to go to utah for it, weve got some pretty high mountains in aus), because i think it will be really beneficial in the long run, anyone saying that its a waste because all our players are unfit now are just uneducataed n ridiculous

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tell me, how long did Jack play on Conca or Batchelor Einstein?

He was very good in the first quarter and a half and then the coach moved him all over the place.

If the coach thinks it's wise to use up all the fuel tickets of a burst player, and probably the only bloke in our side that can kick a 60 metre goal, scrapping under packs, then that's his prerogative.
Yep....Really clicked for a quarter....Great Call !!!!!

Match winning performance for that quarter !!!

Who knows, Only has to play well for a month of quarters and there is a good game put together.......Einstein !!!!

The way I see it - jack is TOUGH but he ain't no match-winner. Is there room for Jack, Swallow AND Cunnington? The answer is NO at this stage. Swallow stays, the other 2 need to re-jig their game somehow.

Yep....Really clicked for a quarter....Great Call !!!!!

Match winning performance for that quarter !!!

Who knows, Only has to play well for a month of quarters and there is a good game put together.......Einstein !!!!

You come across like some wounded teenage girl.

What were you expecting from him?

The way I see it - jack is TOUGH but he ain't no match-winner. Is there room for Jack, Swallow AND Cunnington IN THE MIDFIELD? The answer is NO at this stage. Swallow stays, the other 2 need to re-jig their game somehow.

EFA.

BTW, tell the coach. Plenty around here have already worked this out.

In other news, gokangas reveals the sky to be blue, the sun rises in the east and cats and dogs are traditional enemies.

I was captain obvious I suppose but just a little sick and tired of the JZ knockers. He at least has an excuse for his slow start to the season. plenty of other players deserve our scorn more at the moment.

I was captain obvious I suppose but just a little sick and tired of the JZ knockers. He at least has an excuse for his slow start to the season. plenty of other players deserve our scorn more at the moment.

Of course, what you have stated is blatantly obvious to any human being with a functioning nervous system, however, there is another ultimate truth that accompanies your revelation.

The coach is prepared to use home and away matches as pre season training for certain players. Jack isn't the only one either.

This is an inescapable fact.

Of course, what you have stated is blatantly obvious to any human being with a functioning nervous system, however, there is another ultimate truth that accompanies your revelation.

The coach is prepared to use home and away matches as pre season training for certain players. Jack isn't the only one either.

This is an inescapable fact.

Fair point. So would JZ be better off running around in the twos or running into form in the ones? Isbthere a better player out of the team because JZ is playing? I'm not sure.

Fair point. So would JZ be better off running around in the twos or running into form in the ones?

Your priorities are out of whack.

It should read, "would the team be better off (with JZ) running around in the twos or running into form in the ones?"

IMO, JZ can hold a space in the side playing in the forward line. It is virtually pointkess playing him on the ball at the moment. He just can't impact on a majority of contests.

Is there a better player out of the team because JZ is playing? I'm not sure.

As a midfielder?

Most likely, yes.

I'd personally be playing Jack in a forward pocket in the AFL with some short stints across half back, or I wouldn't bother with him in the AFL at all, until he gets up to speed.

The people that like to use Jobe Watson as an example need to remember that Watson only played 13 games in his first 3 seasons, and Jack is a further year back due to injury.

Cunnington is pretty much in the same boat.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back