Zimbabwe v West Indies - Clive Lloyd Trophy (2 Tests)

Remove this Banner Ad

Is this really called the Clive Lloyd trophy? If so, why? What is Clive's connection to Zimbabwe?
I don't think he has one. The 2 boards just decided to name the trophy after him back in 2000-ish.

Is this really called the Clive Lloyd trophy? If so, why? What is Clive's connection to Zimbabwe?
I think you might be on to something here. I haven't heard any mention of Sir Clive Lloyd or the trophy and i watched nearly all of the 1st Test. No mention of it on the West Indies/Zimbabwe websites or Cricinfo.

Maybe Lloyd quietly asked for his name to be removed from the trophy after the Windies' recent performances. :) Or he is too busy/can't be bothered to travel to Zimbabwe to award the winner.

I think you might be on to something here. I haven't heard any mention of Sir Clive Lloyd or the trophy and i watched nearly all of the 1st Test. No mention of it on the West Indies/Zimbabwe websites or Cricinfo.

Maybe Lloyd quietly asked for his name to be removed from the trophy after the Windies' recent performances. :) Or he is too busy/can't be bothered to travel to Zimbabwe to award the winner.
Won 6, lost 7, drawn 5 and probably win the previous test without rain.

Probably not enough for him to disassociate himself from the trophy.

Yes it is called that, possibly given that Mugabe was largely pulling strings with Zimbabwean cricket and was notionally racist, he would have been happy for the trophy to be named after one of the most influential black figures in cricket history. That would be my guess

Finally after three days of watching a minnow get belted, the real cricket starts.

Zimbabwe win the toss and opt to bat first.

Probably the best chance for both sides to win, realistically.

West Indies have made a habit when they do win of setting it up with the ball and chasing a gettable total, Zimbabwe will probably feel that their best opportunity is, led by Ballance and Ervine, to score a big total and dictate the game.

Test highlight already done: interview with Kenny Benjamin.

Just looked at his Wikipedia page - I hadn’t heard this anecdote before but he coached at the private school where England rugby player Will Greenwood attended and played cricket:

‘If you were foolish enough to horse about, he’d bowl at you, coming in off just one yard and fire down the fastest ball you ever faced. He would walk down the wicket and in a lazy West Indian drawl say ‘don’t mess about in my net sessions.’’

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How would windies go in India do you think?

They have spinners capable of doing any damage?

It’s hard to tell with the Windies how good their spinners are with the ball and how bad their batsmen are at handling it.

Motie actually looks really handy compared to the guys they’ve tried recently like Chase and Permaul who just don’t seem to offer much at all. Cornwall is honestly the best spinner in the Caribbean but they just seem reluctant to pick him because of his size

Darren Bravo is an exceptional player of spin and I couldn’t help but notice he hit back to back centuries in the second match of the regional competition. Boy would his best form make a difference.

Brathwaite plays spin well, he has good soft hands and uses the crease. He blunted Lyon really well in Perth albeit the conditions clearly are very un-Indian.

Kyle Mayers hit that freak double hundred on debut in Bangladesh to help them win that series and Nkrumah Bonner made runs in both those wins.

Roston Chase actually has a test tonne in India last game he played there.

They aren’t completely without pedigree but they would get overwhelmed.

Re. This test match, Jason Holder’s batting has really tailed off a bit lately which is a concern

How would windies go in India do you think?

They have spinners capable of doing any damage?
He’s capable but the India batters would be far better players of spin than these Zimbabweans.

Cornwall would have done some damage here. Motie, Cornwall and Chase in India would be handy. They can all bat too.

Easy win for the Windies.

Confirmed that Clive Lloyd/Clive Lloyd trophy was not present. Nobody update the wiki

West Indies now travel to South Africa for another 2 Test series for the Sir Vivian Richards Trophy (if he bothers showing up)

Why would he? I don’t even think there was always a Chappell or hadlee present to award the trophy and Australia and NZ are a stone’s throw from one another

Remove this Banner Ad

Back