Zing bails: the counterfactual

Remove this Banner Ad

True. But it has nothing to do with cricket. The pointy tip is only there to give the stump the minimum strength required to stand upright all day without interruption. If you could trust they could do so without it, then it'd be a flat bottom. At that point, any impact would be sufficient to dislodge a bail. The pointy tip isn't even acknowledged as part of the stump.

It has everything to do with cricket and what is being discussed. Because we live in a world of reality and practicality, not a world of fantasy. You stated that contact with the stumps at the bottom would result in a bigger impact that if at the top. This is not correct.

I don't understand the want to try and standardise one particular component of a sport that has so many other variables.

The grounds are different, the pitches are different, the grass is different, no doubt the balls are different, the bails themselves have been different in the past, its nothing new.

You might be able to prove in a lab that the same force on the stumps has different outcomes on the stumps and bails themselves. If you could isolate the instances where it had made a difference in terms of any one dismissal, it would only be a minute occurrence in the thousands of dismissals that occur every year in International and FC cricket.

Who really cares?

Wrong. If I had the means to demonstrate on here, I would.

I don't understand the want to try and standardise one particular component of a sport that has so many other variables.
Because this one involves the possibility of a dismissal

The grounds are different, the pitches are different, the grass is different, no doubt the balls are different, the bails themselves have been different in the past, its nothing new.

You might be able to prove in a lab that the same force on the stumps has different outcomes on the stumps and bails themselves. If you could isolate the instances where it had made a difference in terms of any one dismissal, it would only be a minute occurrence in the thousands of dismissals that occur every year in International and FC cricket.

Who really cares?
Yeah. But we're talking about it happening in a World Cup final.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back