Zipping in the Melbourne Cup..

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 7, 2003
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Swansea, Wizards
No penalty's being given but I don't really think it matters. There is no chance this horse can run 2800 and then still kick for the last 400.

he walked across the line today, and although won struggled with the distance.

and this was only 2500.

People will be fooled with this guys weight, but I definatley won't be going near it.

Thoughts?

Workmanlike effort but this race is an awful guide.
He'd be one of the few recent winners with any class.
I doubt him at 3200m too,Boss didnt seem too enthusiastic after the race.

Jury is out for mine

seth

They walked for most of the race so he did well to make up ground.
Overall time was 2:38.91 though, which isn't very sharp.

Was solid enough, but I certainly won't be on him in the cup

On another note, how crap was testafiable? Was dropping out after 2000...

Thought it should have won more easily. No way its a contender for the Melbourne Cup. Has not got the legs which is a pity, always had a soft spot for it since I won a decent amount with it last spring

He's also a Danehill & they just dont get 2 miles.
Not many improve with age IMO.

seth

The Dustbin said:
Grinded away, got the job done, did what he had to do to win.
lol, i read that as 'womanlike' i need my eyes checked.
Yeah it did enough, great effort to back up from that woeful track at Caulfield just 7 days earlier.

sethlad said:
He's also a Danehill & they just dont get 2 miles.
Not many improve with age IMO.

seth

No arguement from me. Distinction is the only other Danehill that i can think of that raced over 3200 +.

I would say Danehill progeny go best up to 2400m. Having said that there is always a exception with a breed. Look at Benicio last year by More Then Ready out of Mannington (Bint Marscay) who would've thought he was bred to run in a derby let alone win one.

The pace of the race definitely did not suit him and once again he was up against it with the barrier he had. To win was a good effort, without being super.

That said, it wasn't an impressive Cup trial and for that reason, he won't get any of mine.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep theres always an exception but classic races are often about history.

The Danehills are precocious to 3 & thats where the $$$ are.
Most then head to stud although the number of Danehill's sons at stud is starting to get ridiculous.

Danehills over 3200m,you'd be miles in front laying them.

seth

At this stage I like a Zabeel triple..despite distance queries

Melb Cup - Activation - can't fault its lead up form
Derby - Efficient - the only way it will lose is if its had enough this campaign
already
Oaks - Sefrah - like Efficient has the frightening sit and sprinting ability, just needs luck this time around

The Dustbin said:
No arguement from me. Distinction is the only other Danehill that i can think of that raced over 3200 +.

Nothin' Leica Dane ran well in a Melbourne Cup as a 3yo.
Quite a few Danehills were handy hurdlers back in the 90's.

True,Nothin Leica Dane did run well as a 3yo but that was the end of him.
The breed seem to peak by the 3yo Classics

seth

starz said:
great effort to back up from that woeful track at Caulfield just 7 days earlier.
Good point, Boss said after the race he pulled up a bit sore after the CC. The quality of tracks from Caualfield to Mooney valley or Flemington are worlds apart.

Dingster said:
I thought that he got to the line ok, but not impressively for a cup run.

I'll be sticking with Yeats, though we're probably due for a roughie.
I said to a mate last night we could have another Brew.

I dont think Zipping is it...did some form checking last week and threw him out once I noticed he hadnt gone past 2400...yesterday made up for that but I feel Zipping is a 2000m horse.

hellraiser said:
Good point, Boss said after the race he pulled up a bit sore after the CC. The quality of tracks from Caualfield to Mooney valley or Flemington are worlds apart.
Had concussion in his feet afterwards apparently. Caulfield is the Telstra Dome of racing.

Lockyer24 said:
Oaks - Sefrah - like Efficient has the frightening sit and sprinting ability, just needs luck this time around

Hmmm...I honestly didn't think Sefrah was all that impressive the other week.
Go Rendzina!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back