Zone Selections

Remove this Banner Ad

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspurs, Melbourne Vixen
Anyone want to have a crack at picking the zone selections for each of Gold Coast, Brisbane, Sydney and GWS?

Will be interesting to see what names people put out there.

Also, similar to the father/rule (in regards to age), do these zone selections have to have never nominated for a draft before?

I am asking as some players like Dayne Zorko and Tom Bell are looking increasingly likely to be given a shot on an AFL list, however are the Suns/Lions able to list them as 'zone' selections?

Thanks

HFF_07

Suns and GWS have zone selections. Sydney and Brisbane don't (well, they do but more on that later). There's no limitations that I know of, save for geography. It's basically prelisting on your senior list before the National Draft.

All four clubs have rookie zone selections where they can select players to put on their rookie list. This happens after the National and Pre-season Drafts.

In the future all four will have their "academies" which will basically be continued zone selections but subject to the same bidding system as father/son picks.

Funny you should mention zone selections, because I've just added those selections for GWS into my mock draft...

I ended up going with three from NSW/ACT - Marcus Crook, Harry Cunningham and Sam Milne. And three from the NT - Kelvin Williams, Louis Eggar and Gibson Turner.

In the future all four will have their "academies" which will basically be continued zone selections but subject to the same bidding system as father/son picks.

I believe its allready in place for this year for the swans, we were asked by the AFL.earlier this year to make a list of a maximum of ten players from the academy this year who we are potentially interested in drafting.

Sent from my T8697 using Board Express

I know the Suns have already signed Alex Sexton as part of one of their QLD Zone Selections. I think we have 2 more?

Three zone selections for the Suns, in the entire state I think.

Yeah, three for this year and three for next year for prelisting on to your senior list. You still have the same rookie zone selections as the Lions (three rookie spots reserved for Qlders, can take them prior to the main rookie draft) and the academy rights to half the state.

GWS have already zoned 2 players from the Northern Territory:

Jed Anderson: a really good midfielder
Curtly Hampson: A freakishly good player

Isn't Jed Anderson the 2012 draft? Though I agree, he's committed to GWS.

GWS also signed Shaun Edwards as an NT selection last year.

yeah he is 2012. Already spent time there training but not sure he will there full time next year. Word is he may stay for another 12 months with NT in the NEAFL. Along with the ones that Chris25 mentioned I think you will find Tipu, Neade, palmer, Farrer, Tunga might also be on the list. Personal fav is Eggar but the lad Williams tests v v well. Certainly when NT where down here they spent some time showing them all around etc. I think they are limited to 5 arent they and they can all be claimed pre the ND as can the Suns. From how it was explained to me and as you mentioned I also thought all 4 clubs then have their zone selections pre the rookie (limited to 3 as is always the case) but this is the last year and then they move to the Academies system. ie all clubs lose their NSW players at the same time as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, three for this year and three for next year for prelisting on to your senior list. You still have the same rookie zone selections as the Lions (three rookie spots reserved for Qlders, can take them prior to the main rookie draft) and the academy rights to half the state.
My understanding is that Suns have Qld zone selections for this years draft and next years drafts (presumably the same for GWS) and that after that (ie 2013 draft onwards) the academy selection system starts up for all 4 teams - presumably the reason why the "new" Lions academy this year only had boys in it up to 16 years old, as the 17 and 18 year olds (ie draft age this year and next year) were too old for them to have preferential access to (excluding the preferential rookie listing for Qld which i think alternates picks?) so they were left to the state program.

Whether they will use zone a selection for anyone other than Sexton depends on how they rate the other Qld draft hopefuls. Only Yagmoor so far (on whats been released on the AFL site) is going to the combine - all the others being tested (9 or 10 in total) are going to state screening. (Not sure about Allen though). So realistically, apart from Yagmoor, most would seem more likely to be rookie listed than drafted as a zone selection if they were to be picked up at all.

Curtly Hampson: A freakishly good player

the old ...Hampton not Hampson ... but yeah saw a number of his games this year and he was good at the start of the year but geez he was terrific in the last half when they pushed him onto a HF flank. He will play Rd 1 next year for sure as will Cameron and Shiels. If those three were in this years draft they would all be top ten and Shiels would be #1.

I agree Hampton is a very good player, I think he is comparable to Liam Jurrah, not style in so much as they will both tear games apart, but I can see him go missing in games and have a really poor game. I really liked him off the HBF actually Snoop, he run broke lines and had great footskills.

Shiels would be top 2 IMO, I think that Congilio and him would be neck and neck. But what a bargain for GWS to get such a good prospects for free essentially.

Also GWS only get 3 NT kids.

And GWS can sign unlimited players from NSW before this draft period, then 5 in this years age group, 2012, and 2013.

Gold Coast can get 5 QLD'ers from 2011, and 2012.

Sounds like the rules are different at the moment for the four clubs. Obviously the Suns and Giants are still in establishment phase, but the Lions' Academy program / entitlements system sounds different to the Swans. I suspect this is because the Swans already had a dozen or so scholarship players to form the nucleus of the Academy and hence it is deemed to be more mature.

My understanding of the Swans' entitlements for the current year are that they have priority access to any of the players snared under the old scholarship scheme in accordance with the same rules that still apply to all clubs' NSW scholarship players - ie they can put them straight onto their senior list with their last pick or, if the player agrees, put them straight onto the rookie list. I think the Swans have about 5 players eligible this year (Potter, Guthrie, Kenny, Lynch, May). They've all made regular appearances with the Swans reserves this year and three of them might just about be in with a shot at a rookie list spot next year. None of them looks like senior list contenders.

The Swans also have priority access this year to any Academy players who are old enough and who they nominated in May this year. From memory they nominated half a dozen or so names. These players are subject to the bidding rules that also apply to FS nominations. Several of the nominated players have also played a bit with the reserves team. A few of them could be in with a shot at a rookie spot, and there may be one or two that the Swans will consider putting on their senior list, depending on how many spaces they have. I doubt there are any players that other clubs would bother bidding on.

Presumably the Giants unlimited access to NSW kids this year only covers their zoned area - which is most of southern NSW, the ACT and parts of metropolitan Sydney.

I agree Hampton is a very good player, I think he is comparable to Liam Jurrah, not style in so much as they will both tear games apart, but I can see him go missing in games and have a really poor game. I really liked him off the HBF actually Snoop, he run broke lines and had great footskills.

Shiels would be top 2 IMO, I think that Congilio and him would be neck and neck. But what a bargain for GWS to get such a good prospects for free essentially.

Also GWS only get 3 NT kids.

And GWS can sign unlimited players from NSW before this draft period, then 5 in this years age group, 2012, and 2013.

Gold Coast can get 5 QLD'ers from 2011, and 2012.

Not sure if you saw the last few games but didnt go missing at all and I think was super impressive. Against NT he just dominated. He went well off HB but coaching staff pushed him fwd in last 4 or 5 games and he was awesome. Was finding space in fwd half well and getting 1:1 where his size and leap was just to much for them. For me shares a lot of attributes with Shaun Burgoyne.

I did not see his last couple of games, but geez that is scary. He could become an absolute star. Really needs to work on his endurance, I would love to see him rotate through the middle, but I agree 1 on 1 he is a very dominant player who is great in the air and on the ground.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back