News Zones Possibly Coming Back

Remove this Banner Ad

Countrypie

Premiership Player
Apr 10, 2012
Rowville
AFL Club
Collingwood
There's a lot of things to be said for the old zoning system. Clubs were invested in the country. Where I live now used to be Collingwood's zone while just North (Horsham) was Essendon. Carlton used to have Bendigo (and didn't they get some players from there Ashman, Keogh, Armstrong, Kennedy) What I liked about the system was that the clubs really put time and effort in to zone development. Now there is token input at best.
The power clubs seemed to do very well and Geelong weren't so good. I think this was testimony to development and systems (and probably some dodgy cash deals) rather than natural talent. Geelong at this time were a basket case of a club.
I've never liked the draft....I think its structured and cozy.

It could but it won't

Then I guess Murray Bushrangers would just go to GWS then as the Team that Get’s Stuck with Them would have a Very UnFair Deal

There's a lot of things to be said for the old zoning system. Clubs were invested in the country. Where I live now used to be Collingwood's zone while just North (Horsham) was Essendon. Carlton used to have Bendigo (and didn't they get some players from there Ashman, Keogh, Armstrong, Kennedy) What I liked about the system was that the clubs really put time and effort in to zone development. Now there is token input at best.
The power clubs seemed to do very well and Geelong weren't so good. I think this was testimony to development and systems (and probably some dodgy cash deals) rather than natural talent. Geelong at this time were a basket case of a club.
I've never liked the draft....I think its structured and cozy.

The Draft makes it Fairer as Teams just don’t have a Good Zone and Milk it.

Hawthorn had that as they had ton of Private Schools around them

Hopefully zones are never brought in

I highly doubt it too but you can never rule it out.

AFL loves messing around with the AFL and the Rules

didaksrightfoot

Premiership Player
Sep 12, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
SA Spurs, Juventus
I dare say there be Rules to Stop That

But those rules are very easily broken. (see UEFA club teams consistently being shady with the rules to recruit youngsters to their academies... With Leo Messi being the most obvious example: Barcelona paid for his medical treatment at 11 after his family agreed to move him to Spain so that he could join their academy... As otherwise they werent allowed to recruit him until 16)

Linking a professional team with junior academies or zones, though probably good for development of an individual player, flies in the face of equalisation - which is the whole purpose of the draft.

There would be ways for the big clubs to pump more money/resources into their zones. (again, not a bad thing in itself - but it is for equalisation)... And even without any interfering by the AFL club, just that link with a certain zone/school/TAC team could play a big role in where a parents wants their child to be playing/going to school... And clubs will find ways to take advantage of that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mar 23, 2010
Section 24 subsection B3 JUST GOT REPEALED.
AFL Club
Collingwood
NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

ZONING KILLED VFL FOOTY FOR 25 YEARS, KILLED 2 CLUBS, PUT 4 MORE TO THE WALL, AND NARROWED FLAGS TO ONLY 4 CLUBS TIL WE JUMPED UP AND SNAGGED 90. IT WAS THE BIGGEST RORT EVER IMPOSED ON FOOTY - BIGGER THAN THE CURRENT DRUG SAGA. DO NOT LET IT HAPPEN EVER AGAIN.

#NOTOZONING

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

ZONING KILLED VFL FOOTY FOR 25 YEARS, KILLED 2 CLUBS, PUT 4 MORE TO THE WALL, AND NARROWED FLAGS TO ONLY 4 CLUBS TIL WE JUMPED UP AND SNAGGED 90. IT WAS THE BIGGEST RORT EVER IMPOSED ON FOOTY - BIGGER THAN THE CURRENT DRUG SAGA. DO NOT LET IT HAPPEN EVER AGAIN.

#NOTOZONING

The AFL will make it sure lot Different as still have a Draft and Teams want Players then goes to the Bidding System.

Lot different to the old Zone’s System

Won't happen - once they all sober up they'll see it as the stupid idea it is.

While the Northern States have Zones. Expect this still be a outside chance of happening

Won't happen - once they all sober up they'll see it as the stupid idea it is.

Unfortunately the AFL has a tendency to make these decisions quickly, and then refusing to acknowledge the mistake once they've awoken in shame; and dawning with the sun, the realisation of what stupidity they have unleashed upon the competition begins to rise into their miniscule brains.

Jul 25, 2008
The Linc
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oakland Raiders
I know that I live in the heart of the old Collingwood zone but they are talking about aligning AFL clubs with TAC cup clubs not going back to the old zones so Carlton would get the Knights

It's a pointless discussion because this won't happen (despite it having my full support) on top of the most logical TAC club to align Collingwood to is the Knight's and Carlton's is the Pioneer's.

Then I guess Murray Bushrangers would just go to GWS then as the Team that Get’s Stuck with Them would have a Very UnFair Deal
GWS already have a zone, where do you think their academy kids come from?

It's a pointless discussion because this won't happen (despite it having my full support) on top of the most logical TAC club to align Collingwood to is the Knight's and Carlton's is the Pioneer's.

How can you be 100% it won’t happen?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back