News Zones Possibly Coming Back

Remove this Banner Ad

dave - believe me when i say it would be an absolute disaster for the game. fix the academy issues, dont screw the rest of the comp.

#zoningisthedevilswork

The AFL have screwed the Comp up already

If it was for one player a year, I wouldn't mind it.

But if they open it up to the point where you can bid for your zoned players non stop, it would be silly and create massive advantages.

There's season where one under 18 TAC side has 7-8 of the first round picks, what if one club had access to all those picks pre draft?

If it was for one player a year, I wouldn't mind it.

But if they open it up to the point where you can bid for your zoned players non stop, it would be silly and create massive advantages.

There's season where one under 18 TAC side has 7-8 of the first round picks, what if one club had access to all those picks pre draft?

Well you so would only Nominating Players they want and Then they would go into the Bidding System.

So I don’t that clubs would nominate many and maybe a rule can bring in to how many you can Nominate so it does not Completely kill the Draft

Sep 28, 2006
QLD
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
LA Lakers,NE Patriots,Liverpool FC
WCE and Freo share WA talent ?? Seeing kids like O'Meara, Jesse Hogan, Harley Bennell and Jack Martin shared between these clubs over 2 years.

Crows and Port share all SA talent ?

I'd think zoning would see these 4 clubs becoming continual power houses while the Vic clubs squabble amongst each other, while trying to relocate really young kids to their zones and develop them from there. I'm talking 12 to 14 year olds. It will create massive corruption, IMO.

No, no, no, NO, no.

When zoning was still in place, in the 23 years between 1967 and 1989* Richmond won 5 flags, Carlton won 7 flags and Hawthorn 7 flags (and another in 1991). Sydney's zone was a piece of s**t.

All this crap, including the changes to father-son, are all to make up for the massive northern academies rort. Keep the national draft pool as it is, leave father-son rules as they are and can this ridiculous northern academy double dip. GCS and GWS can get one zone access player a year each until they start producing sons and that should be it. End of story.

This is just peak AFL nonsense. Creating a ridiculous rule then creating 2 more to undo the damage of the first rule.

* the national draft started in 1986 but the zoned players were still on lists

Last edited:
WCE and Freo share WA talent ?? Seeing kids like O'Meara, Jesse Hogan, Harley Bennell and Jack Martin shared between these clubs over 2 years.

Crows and Port share all SA talent ?

I'd think zoning would see these 4 clubs becoming continual power houses while the Vic clubs squabble amongst each other, while trying to relocate really young kids to their zones and develop them from there. I'm talking 12 to 14 year olds. It will create massive corruption, IMO.

When trying to get 12 and 14 Years old does not mean they would come guns

No, no, no, NO, no.

When zoning was still in place, in the 23 years between 1967 and 1989 Richmond won 5 flags, Carlton won 7 flags and Hawthorn 7 flags (and another in 1991). Sydney's zone was a piece of s**t.

All this crap, including the changes to father-son, are all to make up for the massive northern academies rort. Keep the national draft pool as it is, leave father-son rules as they are and can this ridiculous northern academy double dip. GCS and GWS can get one zone access player a year each until they start producing sons and that should be it. End of story.

This is just peak AFL nonsense. Creating a ridiculous rule then creating 2 more to undo the damage of the first rule.

This rule is as bad the the Acadamies and AFL are Destroying the Game anyway

Zones would be the biggest anti equalisation policy ever. Equalisation is something your President has been foaming at the mouth about ever since he found out a kid by the name of Heeney was a potentially good footballer.

So now we have the Heeney drafting system in place. It's mighty complicated but apparently fair? The Swans give up pick 18, 37, 54 & 68 plus Malceski to snag Heeney - nice one Eddie!

Zones would be the biggest anti equalisation policy ever. Equalisation is something your President has been foaming at the mouth about ever since he found out a kid by the name of Heeney was a potentially good footballer.

So now we have the Heeney drafting system in place. It's mighty complicated but apparently fair? The Swans give up pick 18, 37, 54 & 68 plus Malceski to snag Heeney - nice one Eddie!

Where was Eddie’s name on this?

Swans Fans need to get off the Back of Eddie and Stop Winging.

You Stole Heeney

Yes, it is anti-equalization, as is Sydney getting access to father-sons AND academy players. You are double dipping here and that's the problem.

You should get father-son like the rest and the COLA which you retain by the way for players at the lower wage scale and that's it! I think people in the southern states are sick of artificially pump-priming northern carcasses to their own detriment.

Ketchup

Cancelled
May 9, 2009
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, Aberdeen FC

And as always Eddie, Collingwood and Victoria always wins. Suck it. How do you like those apples? If you listen to Sydney "supporters " it's all you taste

DWil6

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 13, 2007
Rowville
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Newcastle Premier League
God I hope not. Don't need the Hawks getting the south east again. Already rode that wave.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's a lot of things to be said for the old zoning system.

No, no, no, NO, no.

When zoning was still in place, in the 23 years between 1967 and 1989 Richmond won 5 flags, Carlton won 7 flags and Hawthorn 7 flags (and another in 1991). Sydney's zone was a piece of s**t.

As Old Spice said, the most uncompetitive era of football ever was the end result of the zone system. Only 5 clubs won every flag in the 23 seasons from 1967 up until 1989. These 5 teams also supplied 14 of the 23 runners up in the same period. The draft started in 1987 and the effect took hold in the 1990s.

upload_2015-5-22_16-42-53.png

Countrypie

Premiership Player
Apr 10, 2012
Rowville
AFL Club
Collingwood
But those rules are very easily broken. (see UEFA club teams consistently being shady with the rules to recruit youngsters to their academies... With Leo Messi being the most obvious example: Barcelona paid for his medical treatment at 11 after his family agreed to move him to Spain so that he could join their academy... As otherwise they werent allowed to recruit him until 16)

Linking a professional team with junior academies or zones, though probably good for development of an individual player, flies in the face of equalisation - which is the whole purpose of the draft.

There would be ways for the big clubs to pump more money/resources into their zones. (again, not a bad thing in itself - but it is for equalisation)... And even without any interfering by the AFL club, just that link with a certain zone/school/TAC team could play a big role in where a parents wants their child to be playing/going to school... And clubs will find ways to take advantage of that.

You are spot on
As Old Spice said, the most uncompetitive era of football ever was the end result of the zone system. Only 5 clubs won every flag in the 23 seasons from 1967 up until 1989. These 5 teams also supplied 14 of the 23 runners up in the same period. The draft started in 1987 and the effect took hold in the 1990s.

View attachment 136722

NO argument from me - except that from a country football perspective the game has gone backwards downhill towing a load of bricks since zoning was abolished. there needs to be some incentive for a club to nurture a country area

Seedsfan

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 10, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
It's a pointless discussion because this won't happen (despite it having my full support) on top of the most logical TAC club to align Collingwood to is the Knight's and Carlton's is the Pioneer's.
Look you are right it want happen but if it did Carlton would have the Knights as they train at Princess Park play half there games there and are aligned to the northern blues

There's no way on God's green earth that the northern clubs will be paying for the academies. The competition as a whole pays for that so the players drawn from it belong to the national draft pool as far as I'm concerned. A zone player each year to GC and GWS as compo for not having father-sons.

Zoning would become an absolute dog's breakfast.

Green Eggs

@TheBanterChamp
Mar 13, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Charlotte Hornets
I like it, since we don't really have a college ball type system, I'd love to how this would work. Get involvement all the way through from TAC Cup, VFL and AFL and gain more fans and a stronger linkage to players.

If we can get mass crowds to TAC and VFL through knowledge that we're 80% going to draft their best player than go for it.

Mar 23, 2010
Section 24 subsection B3 JUST GOT REPEALED.
AFL Club
Collingwood
You are spot on

NO argument from me - except that from a country football perspective the game has gone backwards downhill towing a load of bricks since zoning was abolished. there needs to be some incentive for a club to nurture a country area

ask the league to do it - not individual clubs with vested interests.

Countrypie

Premiership Player
Apr 10, 2012
Rowville
AFL Club
Collingwood
ask the league to do it - not individual clubs with vested interests.
Disagree - you'd have to live in an area like Ararat to see the massive impact a club with a vested interest in the area had on the zone. Once zones were abolished Collingwood cut the area dead. I don't blame them. The AFL runs clinics but they send up no name players from various clubs . There isn't engagement or buy in. Country footy is dying. 20 years ago this town had an association of 10 teams plus a team playing in the Wimmera league. Now the association is gone. One team plays in the Wimmera League and another - a loose amalgam of the old association plays in the Minenara league.

DWil6

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 13, 2007
Rowville
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Newcastle Premier League
Zones were, and would be, farcical. Won't happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sep 28, 2006
QLD
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
LA Lakers,NE Patriots,Liverpool FC
When trying to get 12 and 14 Years old does not mean they would come guns
Have a look the academies Dave. You get enough kids through it at an early age, you'll eventually get some guns.

If we could pour $1M a year into an academy and get just 1 top 10 talent on the cheap every 5 years, we'd pay that for sure.

Mar 23, 2010
Section 24 subsection B3 JUST GOT REPEALED.
AFL Club
Collingwood
Disagree - you'd have to live in an area like Ararat to see the massive impact a club with a vested interest in the area had on the zone. Once zones were abolished Collingwood cut the area dead. I don't blame them. The AFL runs clinics but they send up no name players from various clubs . There isn't engagement or buy in. Country footy is dying. 20 years ago this town had an association of 10 teams plus a team playing in the Wimmera league. Now the association is gone. One team plays in the Wimmera League and another - a loose amalgam of the old association plays in the Minenara league.

thats not the fault of the removal of zoning. thats society. same thing has happened in metro melbourne, and all over the country. sports, and particularly footy involvement, has dropped everywhere. blame the internet, blame drugs, blame live tv games. its not zoning.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back