Phantom Draft Zookotas 2018 Phantom Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

zookota123

Debutant
Oct 25, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Alright boys its gametime, welcome to my 2018 phantom draft and my 4th straight one. Every year I have enjoyed putting my hard work into this so you all can have a enjoyable read and share all thoughts. This year will be a little different to my other drafts, due to this being a much weaker draft in my eyes compared to 2015-2017 and the fact that live trading will make an appearance which will dramatically change the course of the draft. I will not being doing in depth write ups for the first 2 rounds as I always do, instead I will only give depth write ups for the first 10 prospects and than after that do the draft pick by pick until round 2 finishes. Alright to start off I will say that there are 3 clear main players that standout of the pack who are obviously Sam Walsh, Izak Rankine and Jack Lukosius. However between all those 3 players as standouts, there is still some distance between each other and I will explain my thoughts. This whole year I couldn't choose between Izak Rankine or Jack Lukosius as the number one standout due to both being phenomenal once in a decade type players. It was just neck and neck between only those two, but after watching videos over and over and researching them non stop, one of them has just shot out in front by a mile. I get way too excited seeing this guy and he is like nothing I have seen before in a long time and that champion is Izak Rankine!! In the top 10 descriptions I will explain more about the standout three with pros and cons and the distance between each other.

My top 12 personal best players of this draft

1. Izak Rankine
  2. Jack Lukosius
  3. Sam Walsh
  4. Bailey Smith
  5. Liam Stocker
  6. Xavier Duursma
  7. Jack Bytel
  8. Bailey Scott
  9. Rhylee West
  10. Jordan Clark
  11. Connor Rozee
  12. Riley Collier Dawkins (Rate him more through potential and not what he is now)

Now to start off I am going to do something completely different and to make this phantom draft even more unique. We all know that live trading has now been introduced to the AFL Draft to add shock and big surprises. Not everything we hear is going to be a cinderella story in which it is so perfect or written to the script. I personally think that this isn't a super draft however there are three super players to choose from and a few above average players but it starts thinning out quickly. Everywhere I am hearing from the media to other phantom drafts being exact the same is that Lukosius and Rozee will go to GC together and Sam Walsh to Carlton. Carlton needs midfielders and for pick 1 Sam Walsh would be a great addition as he is a great midfielder. However Stephen is a smart guy and thinks outside the box and he literally has the power in his hands to change this whole draft by either picking Sam Walsh as Carltons first pick or trade there pick 1 to Gold Coast. There is absolute no way in hell Stephen will be trading pick 1 to Adelaide for picks 8,13 and 16 especially in a draft that slowly weakens. Think of it like this, Gold Coast wants players that will fully commit to the club and not stuff around the club by wanting to go back home or seek elsewhere. Do we really think Gold Coast will want to take the risk on Jack Lukosius and Connor Rozee (who are both great players) at 2 and 3 knowing there could be some flight risk. GC are also looking for more midfielders to welcome in the club and thats where Sam Walsh plays a role. He is the best rated midfielder in this draft and I'm sure Gold Coast have thought about taking him. The positives for him going to GC is that he supports Brisbane Lions which is a Queensland team, he has family connections in Queensland, he has also mentioned that he is not a flight risk which would have GC salivating from their mouths. I have Gold Coast offering pick 2+3 for Carltons pick 1 and possibly a future first rounder for next years draft. Being called a superdraft this whole year and the first possible 1-7 picks touted as super players why wouldn't SOS accept that. He would basically be trading Pick 1 (superpick) and possible next years first which could be anything for two super player picks at 2+3. I think this will happen and change everything. Saints would have the next pick at 4 and anything could happen here. Saints could either keep it and pick one player wisely or what I think will happen is Port or ADE will be throwing picks all around for saints pick 4 so they could pounce on a possible Jack Lukosius or Izak rankine who could be available. I see Port winning this race by trading pick 5 and 10 for St Kildas pick 4 which is a no brainer for St Kilda to accept as they gain pick 5 which is 1 spot ahead of 4th pick and an extra pick of 10. Anything could happen since its live trading but this is how I see and I stand by it. After all this talk I think its time to start the phantom draft and let the show begin.

Round 1 Drafting

Pick 1 Gold Coast - Sam Walsh - I have Sam Walsh going to Gold Coast at pick one because I think GC will try and suss a deal with Carlton to grab their number one pick. If Gold Coast does get first pick I think they will pounce on Sam Walsh 99%. If Carlton keeps there number one pick, its all hyped they will choose Sam Walsh with it because Carlton desperately needs midfielders. It’s like an old saying you think with your willy and not your brain. Do Carlton take Sam Walsh because they need a midfielder or do they take the best player in the draft who is Izak Rankine. This is the only reason I put Sam Walsh here because I have the biggest feeling Gold Coast are going to go all out on pick 1 for Sam Walsh. Now onto Sam Walsh himself, he has been the clear best midfielder this whole season demolishing all opposition. He has a phenomenal work rate and runs all day racking heaps of the ball in every angle and spot he can find it. The ball can be anywhere and you’ll just spot Sam in the background out of nowhere pouncing on the ball and releasing it to his team mates with ease. So smooth getting the ball either from the air or even on the ground he just knows where to be at the right time and wastes no time to use it to his advantage. Whether it be from the inside or outside he has a beautiful run and carry with the ball and disposing it to either team mates or shooting at goal. He has some spurs of Josh Kelly to me which I love and hope he can carry that on to AFL level. Now for the reason why I rate Sam Walsh behind Izak Rankine and Jack Lukosius is because I I feel like you can find a Sam Walsh or a really really good midfielder every year in a draft. Whereas an Izak Rankine or Jack Lukosius with their special talents come once a decade. Jack and Izak have been playing against adults in the SANFL since they were both 16 years old and have been marking there territory ever since. They both actually scored 4 goals in each of their debuts against adults in SANFL which is crazy. If they can do well in SANFL and make names for themselves there than you already know its a good start to the AFL. Not only that but last year when all three Lukosius,Walsh and Rankine played in the under 18s National Champs last year against the older boys, Walsh didn’t look as good as he is now compared to the other two. Walsh averaged 29 disposals in TAC last year and 30 disposals in TAC this year as well as 29 disposals in the National champs this year. However in last years Under 18 National champs he averaged 20 disposals 4 marks and 3 tackles which is good but not as good when he is against bigger and older opposition. Rankine as a small forward averaged 19 disposals 4 marks and 2 tackles which is quite similar stats to Sam Walsh who played inside mid. For me I think he dominated more in his National champs and TAC level due to a weaker draft year compared to last years. Last years group of players were all pretty well built and solid compared to this year with quite a few prospects being light framed. In the end I see Walsh going to GC and I hope he reaches his full potential and becomes a top player to remember because he deserves it.

Pick 2 Carlton - Izak Rankine - If SOS trades pick 1 to GC and they snatch Sam Walsh, without a doubt I do not see Carlton hesitating whatsoever with taking Rankine the best player in this years draft with pick 2. He is one arrogant, cocky son of a gun but I love it because he backs it up all the time. I can’t seem to wrap my finger on why he is not getting as much attention as Walsh or Lukosius has been. He has been in the under 18 All Australian 2 years straights and can get half as much disposals as Sam Walsh yet still dominate and change the game on its head with every skilful move and use of the ball, not making one wrong choice. Izak can randomly kick a ball in any position and different angle on the ground effortlessly yet still does damage and making heads turn. For the height of a 180cm small forward he can leap and take some good pack marks making everyone jump to there seats. He has the most perfect evasiveness and agility to just glide through opposition like a razor sharp knife in soft butter, just cuts through easily. When put in the midfield he can do very well and get quite a few of the contested ball easily, however whats stopping him completely of fulfilling a full mid role is his endurance similar to what Raynor is going through. If he can improve his endurance I can no doubt see him as a massive weapon in the midfield either inside or outside. For now he just does what he does and thats dominate the forward line by kicking plenty of goals with the help of having a complete footy IQ and goal sense. Izak Rankine is exactly what any clubs needs or should have and will be a special addition to Carlton to help them throughout their rebuild and make them more dangerous. Plus if Rankine does go to Carlton it will make it even better since they can rub it Adelaides face. There could definitely be some small flight risk with Rankine but what makes me feel that Rankine would be right at home here is that he looks up to Eddie Betts who is mentoring him and I am sure Eddie would say nothing but amazing words how good Carlton were to him and how he loved the club. It’s a shame what Malthouse did to Eddie, but now the club has a very young list and will have big open arms to Rankine and I can tell you right now he will fit in to the young group so well.

Pick 3 Carlton- Bailey Smith -Carlton are in need of midfielders which is a no brainer, and who I have to replace Sam Walsh if all goes to plan is the next best mid Bailey Smith. Instead of having pick 1 and going for just Sam Walsh with picks 69,71,77 straight after they can trade pick 1 and a possible next years first round for picks 2 and 3 which Carlton can receive the most exciting player and clear best Izak Rankine and midfielder Bailey Smith who is not too far behind Walsh. Add all that up and that is a big win in my eyes instead of just going for Sam Walsh with pick 1. Now on to the point why Bailey Smith is a gun and how he suits Carlton to a tee is the fact he is an absolute all rounder who can play both inside or outside. He has very good vision of the ball and places himself in a perfect position to cleanly demonstrate getting the football by himself and speed off away from the contest and kick to team mates without ease. Not only that but if he sees anyone near the ball that he wants, he will take you out easily with no thoughts holding back. What makes him excel in the outside mid as well is his big tank which allows him to run all day racking the ball and either bringing it down to his team mates in the forward line or even going for goal himself as the kid can affect that scoreboard with his accurate kick. I think Bailey would be a great addition to Carltons young brigade and a nice fact is that he trained with Carlton early on this year during pre season so I think they will know more about him and will have confidence in picking him if they believe they can get something good in return for pick 1.

Pick 4 Port Adelaide - Jack Lukosius - Could Jack be the big slider out of the three super draftees Izak,Sam and himself? The talent is definitely there with Jack but I don’t see Carlton using there pick 1 on him with Carlton slowly emerging that forward line and bringing in Mcgovern. Gold Coast could definitely use a Jack Lukosius in the team but flight risk could be there and I’m sure they will choose Sam Walsh over him who is a certain with no flight risk and a great midfielder that Gold Coast are dying for. This leaves Saint Kilda with pick 4. Do they keep it and pounce on Lukosius rubbing it in Adelaide or Port Adelaides faces as the talks are there is a big resemblance of him to Saint Kilda great Nick Riewoldt who hint hint played for Saint Kilda. Or do they show a little compassion and help out one of Adelaide or Port Adelaide gaining more picks for pick 4. I think the thought of taking a chance on Lukosius at pick 4 is to die for but in the end I assume they will accept a good offer of pick 5 and 10 from Port Adelaide for pick 4 which can help St Kildas list. I rate Jack extremely high as an outstanding player and is ranked number 2 in my personal rankings. There are some talks from some people I hear around that they think he is overrated or possibly being a flop like Jack Watts , let me try and reaffirm you about that. The reason why Jack Watts never reached his full potential is because he lacks self confidence, motivation and is standout lazy. Those 3 things brought him down and with mediocre games building up and up even built those 3 traits higher. Watts doesn’t have the mindset and work rate that Lukosius already excels in. Lukosius has been playing SANFL against adults for 2 years straight dominating which has increased his work rate and surely gave his confidence a boost knowing if he can do well in SANFL he can surely do even better in the AFL when time goes by. Lukosius booted 4 goals in his first SANFL debut, which is nuts so I don’t see what will stop his mindset and pure excellence as a player when he steps in. There is still so much he needs to learn and build on, with his body still not fully developed. He is a very skilled light body forward that will only get better by putting in the hard work to make him built bigger. Look at Franklin and Riewoldt when they first got drafted, they were both skinny praised forwards and that for a reason. Lukosius has great speed and run for the ball as well as a marking machine who hardly drops the ball. As a key forward he has great endurance like a midfielder that allows him to run all day and can even go from the wing to half forward line and just dominate. Jack just knows how to create space with his fantastic vision and footy IQ as well as the fact he can affect the scoreboard with his very precise and accurate kick. If Port Adelaide get pick 4 from St Kilda and use that pick for Jack Lukosius they will be over the moon since earlier in the year he was also training with them in pre season and not Adelaide. With some talent leaving Port Adelaide via AFL trade week I am sure they would be happy receiving Ryan Burton and a possible Jack Lukosius for future years.

Pick 5 St Kilda - Max King - Bye bye pick 4 and welcome pick 5 and 10. With pick 5 warmly welcomed to St Kildas hands they will go for the player they have been helping out in rehabilitation ever since he injured his knee and someone who would replace Lukosius who I’m sure would be on St Kilda radar if he was available at pick 4. I like Max King but I’m not a big fan of his. Yeah sure he is a extremely athletic super tall key forward who can run fast on lead of mark or ground level and played a phenomenal first game to the year in this years TAC having 19 disposals, 9 marks, 2 hitouts and 8 impressive goals which made him shoot up to Pick 1 contention. However I feel his extremely tall height against these young kids is just too good for them, but he doesn’t have that bad of hands with his long giraffe arms. If Max had shorter arms and 6-7cm shorter in height I don’t think he would be rated as he is now, especially if he didn’t have that big first game in TAC. His kicking for me needs work too since sometimes it doesn’t make the distance at all when shot at goal or his targets to team mates miss easily. Although those little faults I still think he is athletically gifted for a tall key forward and reads the ball well also with the help of his big leap taking big marks against an opposition or group of opposition. Still is obviously raw but with experience in the AFL and more bigger body defenders obviously going to go hard at him and push him around like a baby, but it should only build confidence to be better. Lets hope he doesn’t have a weak mindset and have anymore issues with that knee when he joins AFL because if he can show later in his career what he did to Oakleigh chargers than he can be very good.

Pick 6 Gold Coast - Jye Caldwell - Now some people would be thinking what the hell is Jye Caldwell doing here this early at pick 6, well let me explain. If all goes to plan and GC do go for pick 1 from Carlton to take Sam Walsh, than I think they will also add Jye Caldwell at pick 6 to pair with Sam Walsh since GC are starting all over in rebuilding draftees and I only see them drafting mid talent early on. Not only that but Sam Walsh and Jye Caldwell are good friends and played together at Vic Country as well as both not being flight risk at all. Last year I posted towards this years talent and only boasting for two players I was very excited about and they were both Sam Walsh and Jye Caldwell, I think my earlier thoughts are giving me a hint they are going to play with each other. Before Jyes bad run of injuries this year he showed why he was a top 10 contention pick with his amazing athletic background. He did boxing with my younger brother and I know for a fact this kid is extremely athletic, hardworking, mongrel characteristics, big work ethic and very driven to high expectations. His got great spurts of speed which help him burst through the inside and use his grunt and fast hands to grab the ball and distribute it away safely to his team mates. He reminds me a bit of this years norm smith medallist Luke Shuey who has those great spurts of speed through stoppages and doesn’t care who you are he will just tackle you to get that ball, also dragging the ball to the forward line and taking shots. If Gold Coast really want to rebuild and build a young list from fresh I think they should take young midfielders early on for this year who are not flight risks and will put everything in for an opportunity and to try and get the best out of GC and I believe both Sam Walsh and Jye Caldwell fit that perfectly.

Pick 7 Western Bulldogs - Jordan Clark - One of my favourite clubs who remind me of myself ahem (Brisbane and Melbourne now taking over) who think outside the box and draft some guys you wouldn’t expect that just flourish and really settles in with the style the club is going for. I was extremely close to putting Ben King here who I personally think would suit WB to a tee as Dale Morris’s time is nearly up and Marcus Adams sent off to Brisbane. However WB recruiters like to go more with there own flow and formula by going a little more outside the box that can benefit and help the team. I did like Ed Richards in last years draft because even though he didn’t get the ball that much he used it very well and some parts reminded me of Heath Shaw and when WB drafted him I was shocked but not shocked at the same time knowing WB. Ed Richards did not look out of place in the club too and when they gave him stints at half forward he looked really good. With both Easton Wood and Matt Suckling not getting their bodies right and ageing seems to me they should add a great attacking half back to slot right through the team. They added Duryea into the list to help out the back and give some experience since he is a two time Premiership player, but I don’t think that will be enough. They even used Caleb Daniel in the half back near end this year which to be honest he didn’t look too shabby. I think though WB will draft Jordan Clark who I have been watching very closely past 3 weeks and I rate him really highly considering he is underrated. He reminds me of a less polished Harry Perryman but still a gun. I love the way he just goes all out in the backline and can put himself in any position to be found and get the ball to his own advantage. The way he reads the ball and than delivers it smoothly with his calm demeanour is really soothing to watch. He has nice clean hands and backs it up with a thumping kick straight to his team mates. He tackles a bit but Im not that much of a fan of his tackles I am more of a fan of the pressure he gives to his opponents that make them feel really uncomfortable and nervous to the point its easy to get the ball off of them. I see Jordan Clark,Bailey Williams and Ed Richards teaming up together and making that half back shine.

Pick 8 Adelaide - Connor Rozee - Although Adelaide are really keen to get Lukosius or Rankine I just don’t see it happening with picks 8,13,16,21 available unless maybe a next years draft pick could be involved somewhere but at this rate I think they will keep all picks. I have mr composure Conor Rozee slotting into Adelaide’s side in which I think they will be very happy with. Connor is one of the most composed players in this draft its unbelievable. I would love to see him get more of the ball because every time he touches the ball he knows exactly how to get rid of it to perfection whether it be in the most under pressure circumstances or even straight mid air. He is extremely talented and athletic and just looks great either on the ground or in the air leaping to mark or quickly handball to a team mate accurately from mid air. Has nice speed and evasiveness and can just offload the ball to safety. Can play many positions and if his endurance can be built more on I think I’d like to see him as a half back or winger.

Pick 9 GWS - Liam Stocker - It was between two picks for me here and they were both Liam Stocker and Riley Collier Dawkins. I think both players would do so well here as they are inside midfielders in which in GWS case they did lose Dylan Shiel and Will setterfield plus outside runner Tom Scully. I rate both of these kids high as they are in my top 10 personal favourites, but with Riley Collier Dawkins even though I see nothing but a gun player who has heaps of room for improvement I see the same issue what stocker has which is his endurance. They both lack endurance as inside mids but between the two I think RCD is the one with the worst endurance and he racks less of the ball than stocker does. RCD uses the ball extremely well and doesn’t waste a possession and he has blistering spurts of speed which is awesome for a kid his height and weight, but overall I think his endurance and the fact he can go missing sometimes in a game which can badly effect his ball gets will bring RCD in my eyes around the 20s-mid 30s even the the talent he possess. Onto Stocker I rate him as a very strong inside mid and in fact since losing Setterfield and Shiel I think Stocker would be a great get and potentially take Shiels role in years to come with progression. Quite similar to Shiel he is a big bodied midfielder roughly the same height and size and has that exact blistering speed straight through the stoppage using his grunt work to get the ball and deliver it in great fashion the way Dylan Shiel would. He is a very hardworking kid and will put 110% in even if he is having a bad day. For being a big bodied mid he could slot straight through GWS team and I think he would thrive.

Pick 10 St Kilda- Ben King - Now there could be some talk here (which I love) about why I have St Kilda drafting both King brothers. First of all with Ben King you have Sam Gilbert gone, Hugh Goddard bye bye, Nathan Brown there for experience to young backs who is turning 30 next year, Dylan Roberton who is 28 next year and sadly who knows what could happen with that sad situation with his heart issue and than you have Jake Carlisle who is 28 next year and a young Logan Austin. For high potential and so much room for growth I think adding Ben King along with his brother Max will both benefit each other as they can learn as much as possible and help shape St Kilda on each of there end. It takes KPP a longer time to adjust especially the King brothers who are quite small in size, so with guidance from Carlisle,Austin,Brown and Roberton towards Ben I think he would be a great addition to replace one of them in years to come with experience. Ben is similar to Max and in my eyes I personally think is neck on neck with him if not a tiny better. He can play on both ends either full back or full forward and has the same affect on each end from what I see. From a devastating season to watch for saints fans if I were to draft for potential stars that could help the club for future years I would draft both King brothers if they were to be available and than look for midfielders next year.

Pick 11 Sydney (GWS Bid) - Nick Blakey Syd loses 38,39,40

Pick 12 GWS - Chayce Jones

Pick 13 Geelong - Ian Hill

Pick 14 Adelaide- Jackson Hately

Pick 15 North Melbourne (Fremantle Bid) -Tarryn Thomas

Pick 16 Fremantle - Xavier O’halloran

Pick 17 Port Adelaide - Curtis Taylor

Pick 18 Adelaide - Bailey Williams

Pick 19 Richmond - Luke Valente

Pick 20 Brisbane - Zak Butters

Pick 21 GWS - Jez Mclennan

Pick 22 West Coast - Ely Smith

Round 2 Drafting

Pick 23 Collingwood (ADE Bid) - Isaac Quaynor

Pick 24 Adelaide - Luke English

Pick 25 West Coast - Xavier Duursma

Pick 26 Melbourne - Mitch Maguire

Pick 27 North Melbourne (GC Bid) - Bailey Scott

Pick 28 Gold Coast - Sam Sturt

Pick 29 GWS - Kieran Briggs

Pick 30 Western Bulldogs - Rhylee West

Pick 31 Melbourne - Noah Gown

Pick 32 Gold Coast - Luke Foley

Pick 33 Brisbane - Connor McFadyen

Pick 34 Fremantle - Riley Collier Dawkins

Pick 35- Western Bulldogs - Ed McHenry

Pick 36 Sydney - Jacob Kennerly

Pick 37 Essendon - Jack Bytel

Pick 38 Brisbane - Thomas Berry

Pick 39 St Kilda - Tom Mckenzie

Pick 40 Richmond - Sydney Stack

Last edited:
this is a really interesting take, but i just don't see us giving up 5, 10 for 4 straight has to be a bit coming back our way especially as we have to fill 3 spots at the draft. what are your thoughts on what else would be coming back to use with that trade as that is way to much over? personally i would rather punt on getting the king brothers myself than just luko if that was the option left.

Ely smith for the eagles first is great but luke english seems a bit a reach.he has dropped down the rankings since the beginning of the year

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

If Xavier Duursma is still on the board and Brisbane go for some one else, I would throw my lap top at my tv.

When looking at who's possibly still on board at our first pick, Duursma is right at the very top of the list, unless Jye Caldwell or Jordan Clark slide down the board.

Duursma, McFadyen and Berry would absolutely nail our first three picks.

I can't see the Suns trading picks 2 and 3 just because They're scared of Luko and Rozee being flight risks when they could trade pick 3 to Port or Adelaide and draft both King Twins and have more picks in the first round rather than less I don't see pick1 being that big a need as a Suns member I would have no problem trading down rather than up

I can't see the Suns trading picks 2 and 3 just because They're scared of Luko and Rozee being flight risks when they could trade pick 3 to Port or Adelaide and draft both King Twins and have more picks in the first round rather than less I don't see pick1 being that big a need as a Suns member I would have no problem trading down rather than up

They should hold 2+3. Personally I’d go hunting pick 4 if I was them. If they decide to split 6 for 2 first rounders. 6 for 10+15 seems about right but adding something to 6 ie 24 might get them 8+13.

Live trading is going to be interesting.

Interesting effort, although I'm not sure about "I see Jordan Clark,Bailey Williams and Ed Richards teaming up together and making that half back shine."
We're definitely interested in Clark - Williams played the second half of the year as a mid and Richards looks like he'll be groomed to play wing.

Nice to see Bytel so high on your personal rankings, earlier in the year he seemed to be regarded as highly as Rhylee West before injury ruined his year.

I always enjoy reading your takes on the draft, always different which is very refreshing. I still remember you rated Zac Fisher very highly, and look at him now, already having a real impact and I think he'll be a gun in 2 to 3 more years.

Interesting you had Ely Smith and Luke English for our two picks, I see these players are very very similar. Both are in that Clayton Oliver type, clear the congestion by moving through it and then hand balling, given we took Brayden Ainsworth last year I think we'd be oversupplied with this type of inside mid. I think we'd be much more interested with Duursma with our first and bank of the fact that Smith would still be there two picks later. Or if not, RCD!

Keep up the good work!

this is a really interesting take, but i just don't see us giving up 5, 10 for 4 straight has to be a bit coming back our way especially as we have to fill 3 spots at the draft. what are your thoughts on what else would be coming back to use with that trade as that is way to much over? personally i would rather punt on getting the king brothers myself than just luko if that was the option left.
Thanks for the reply. This is how I see it, if Lukosius is available at Pick 4 than I think Port Adelaide will do anything to get that pick and I think St kilda will play hard to get because the ball is in their hands and I'm sure they will want overs for pick 4. The next pick St Kilda has is 36 and me not rating this draft that high near that end I don't think Port Adelaide would personally care. I mean if you look at trade week, most clubs weren't bothered of trading this years picks to get other talent elsewhere. If port wants pick 36 in return that could even possibly be in the 40s since bidding than sure that could be in the receiving end.

Ely smith for the eagles first is great but luke english seems a bit a reach.he has dropped down the rankings since the beginning of the year

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Yeah I was finishing this up all last night after work and proof reading, but in all honesty Luke English was so suppose to be Adelaide's final 4th first round pick swapped with Duursma, sorry my mistake. However don't be dropping off Luke English, just because the media or others don't rate him as high means nothing. He is a good underrated talent, but have him going to Adelaide instead of West Coast.

If Xavier Duursma is still on the board and Brisbane go for some one else, I would throw my lap top at my tv.

When looking at who's possibly still on board at our first pick, Duursma is right at the very top of the list, unless Jye Caldwell or Jordan Clark slide down the board.

Duursma, McFadyen and Berry would absolutely nail our first three picks.

Yeah personally I don't see Clark or Caldwell making it to Brisbanes pick and out of the two I think Clark would be the only one I see suiting to Brisbane more. I see you rate Duursma high as do I, but I have a weird feeling he is going to slide this draft. What do you think of Butters because I've been rewatching him over and over and I'm starting to regret I didn't put him in my top 12 personal favourites. Has the speed and classiness and overall a great athlete. Think he would excel in Brisbanes environment and add what they are looking for.
Thanks for the reply mate. There's plenty to add not just Lukosius and Rozee being potential flight risks. I did mention GC needs mids and I would not be surprised at all if they go for Carltons number 1 pick just so they can go for Walsh who isn't flight risk at all (supports brisbane and has family members that live in Queensland). Anything isnt out of the question though and thats just my take.
Interesting effort, although I'm not sure about "I see Jordan Clark,Bailey Williams and Ed Richards teaming up together and making that half back shine."
We're definitely interested in Clark - Williams played the second half of the year as a mid and Richards looks like he'll be groomed to play wing.

Nice to see Bytel so high on your personal rankings, earlier in the year he seemed to be regarded as highly as Rhylee West before injury ruined his year.
Williams played the whole year as a half back until round 14 switched half time from backline to forward. Next two games he played were wing but to me he plays best in the half back as he been most his career. Same to Richards, played his first 10 games in the half back and than his 11th game switch from half back to forward where he kicked 3 goals. From than he played abit in the forward line and wing with his last game back into the half back. He has got great speed but I don't see him ending up as a winger in his career because I don't think he racks much of the ball that area. His niche is the half back in my eyes and I stick with Richards,Williams,Clark dominating the half back. Bytel is a star and it hurts to see the poor bugger going down the list with injuries but whoever drafts him will get a star if they treat him right. Easy top 10 for me if he didn't have ongoing injuries.

I always enjoy reading your takes on the draft, always different which is very refreshing. I still remember you rated Zac Fisher very highly, and look at him now, already having a real impact and I think he'll be a gun in 2 to 3 more years.

Interesting you had Ely Smith and Luke English for our two picks, I see these players are very very similar. Both are in that Clayton Oliver type, clear the congestion by moving through it and then hand balling, given we took Brayden Ainsworth last year I think we'd be oversupplied with this type of inside mid. I think we'd be much more interested with Duursma with our first and bank of the fact that Smith would still be there two picks later. Or if not, RCD!

Keep up the good work!
Thanks mate I really appreciate that and well done to the eagles as premiers, profited $1200 on Shuey norm ;).

Yeah very high on him and look how it turned out, ended up at Carlton which was a bigger treat for me. Thanks for reminding me about Ely Smith and Luke English. Luke English was actually meant to go to Adelaides final first round pick and swapped with Duursma who goes to your second pick. I just fixed that now, was exhausted from work and proof read 3 times for no mistakes. What do you know, turns out we both thought West Coasts needs the same. I love RCD but only for potential reasons. His endurance is what lets me down with him similiar to what happend with Constable last year. And for a big boy whos tall too and can go missing in games against smaller bodies is a turn off too. I have him sliding to freo in the 30s.

Thanks for the reply. This is how I see it, if Lukosius is available at Pick 4 than I think Port Adelaide will do anything to get that pick and I think St kilda will play hard to get because the ball is in their hands and I'm sure they will want overs for pick 4. The next pick St Kilda has is 36 and me not rating this draft that high near that end I don't think Port Adelaide would personally care. I mean if you look at trade week, most clubs weren't bothered of trading this years picks to get other talent elsewhere. If port wants pick 36 in return that could even possibly be in the 40s since bidding than sure that could be in the receiving end.

Yeah I was finishing this up all last night after work and proof reading, but in all honesty Luke English was so suppose to be Adelaide's final 4th first round pick swapped with Duursma, sorry my mistake. However don't be dropping off Luke English, just because the media or others don't rate him as high means nothing. He is a good underrated talent, but have him going to Adelaide instead of West Coast.

Yeah personally I don't see Clark or Caldwell making it to Brisbanes pick and out of the two I think Clark would be the only one I see suiting to Brisbane more. I see you rate Duursma high as do I, but I have a weird feeling he is going to slide this draft. What do you think of Butters because I've been rewatching him over and over and I'm starting to regret I didn't put him in my top 12 personal favourites. Has the speed and classiness and overall a great athlete. Think he would excel in Brisbanes environment and add what they are looking for.

Thanks for the reply mate. There's plenty to add not just Lukosius and Rozee being potential flight risks. I did mention GC needs mids and I would not be surprised at all if they go for Carltons number 1 pick just so they can go for Walsh who isn't flight risk at all (supports brisbane and has family members that live in Queensland). Anything isnt out of the question though and thats just my take.

Williams played the whole year as a half back until round 14 switched half time from backline to forward. Next two games he played were wing but to me he plays best in the half back as he been most his career. Same to Richards, played his first 10 games in the half back and than his 11th game switch from half back to forward where he kicked 3 goals. From than he played abit in the forward line and wing with his last game back into the half back. He has got great speed but I don't see him ending up as a winger in his career because I don't think he racks much of the ball that area. His niche is the half back in my eyes and I stick with Richards,Williams,Clark dominating the half back. Bytel is a star and it hurts to see the poor bugger going down the list with injuries but whoever drafts him will get a star if they treat him right. Easy top 10 for me if he didn't have ongoing injuries.

Thanks mate I really appreciate that and well done to the eagles as premiers, profited $1200 on Shuey norm ;).

Yeah very high on him and look how it turned out, ended up at Carlton which was a bigger treat for me. Thanks for reminding me about Ely Smith and Luke English. Luke English was actually meant to go to Adelaides final first round pick and swapped with Duursma who goes to your second pick. I just fixed that now, was exhausted from work and proof read 3 times for no mistakes. What do you know, turns out we both thought West Coasts needs the same. I love RCD but only for potential reasons. His endurance is what lets me down with him similiar to what happend with Constable last year. And for a big boy whos tall too and can go missing in games against smaller bodies is a turn off too. I have him sliding to freo in the 30s.
I'd be stoked with these two!!! Lock it in. Haha
Nice little collect on Shuey.

I don't believe Caldwell or Clark make it to our first pick either. I doubt Duursma does either.

I haven't looked at Butters at all, because I don't think we need outside run at this stage.

The Lions have been pretty vocal and all reading from the same script when it comes to discussing the draft this year, whether it be our head of recruiting or head of football, the company line has been we need to continue to build midfield depth, run from out of defence and speed. And that our first pick will be a midfielder.

That pretty much aligns to the the areas of improvement most Lions fans see for our list. We still need two small defenders, ideally one with line breaking abilities, and a genuine small/mid intercept marker who can quarter back the defence. Jez McClennan looks like he would fit the later need there, but the club keeps talking about needing some one who can run the ball out of defence.

We also need midfield depth. We're ok for outside run and speed (some of that is still developing in the reserves. But we really need midfield depth as we're really lacking here, especially with the departure of Dayne Beams. Duursma would be the perfect draft choice at first pick. And Tom Berry would be pretty good at our second or third pick.

Just have to find some one fourth pick as that small defender with pace.

Great draft by the way. so tell me what if GC don't trade picks with Carlton and the blues keep pick one do they still take Rankin, or walsh?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I feel like if Blues fans want this 1 for 2+3 trade so much that it should give you a strong indication that it's a bad deal for GC and you're being biased.

I think Carlton fans are just semi shitting themselves seeing they have so many list spots and only 1 pick in the top 60 of this draft.

I feel like if Blues fans want this 1 for 2+3 trade so much that it should give you a strong indication that it's a bad deal for GC and you're being biased.

I think Carlton fans are just semi shitting themselves seeing they have so many list spots and only 1 pick in the top 60 of this draft.
Correction Toad, its this year first and next years first for two and three. GC get walsh and a thirst round pick next year.

Correction Toad, its this year first and next years first for two and three. GC get walsh and a thirst round pick next year.

Even so. You hear Blues fans justify it “We then get to take Rankine THE BEST PLAYER in the DRAFT” and Smith “who is not far behind Walsh” and you have to think why wouldn’t GC be thinking the same thing? They could easily get their hands on Luckosious who many say is the best KPF since Riewoldt at U18 level.

I don’t buy this whole spread the draft class over 2 years argument…

GC need talent all over the park and need to get better on the field NOW, why wouldn’t they want to get in as many of the “Elite 8” as possible?

Unless they trade #1 for 2 later picks (wont be 2+3) they will take
Hickmott
Silvagni
and a few dfa players

I don't believe Caldwell or Clark make it to our first pick either. I doubt Duursma does either.

I haven't looked at Butters at all, because I don't think we need outside run at this stage.

The Lions have been pretty vocal and all reading from the same script when it comes to discussing the draft this year, whether it be our head of recruiting or head of football, the company line has been we need to continue to build midfield depth, run from out of defence and speed. And that our first pick will be a midfielder.

That pretty much aligns to the the areas of improvement most Lions fans see for our list. We still need two small defenders, ideally one with line breaking abilities, and a genuine small/mid intercept marker who can quarter back the defence. Jez McClennan looks like he would fit the later need there, but the club keeps talking about needing some one who can run the ball out of defence.

We also need midfield depth. We're ok for outside run and speed (some of that is still developing in the reserves. But we really need midfield depth as we're really lacking here, especially with the departure of Dayne Beams. Duursma would be the perfect draft choice at first pick. And Tom Berry would be pretty good at our second or third pick.

Just have to find some one fourth pick as that small defender with pace.
Well if you haven't looked at Zak at all I suggest seeing him yourself because he is not all outside run. He can go inside too and when he played for Western Jets he was probably one of there top midfielders. When he played inside for a 70kg kid he racked up 27 disposals with 14 of them being contested possessions which isnt bad at all. Its the way he moves around people with speed and precision that is just a bonus. However I am not denying at all that Duursma could suit Brisbanes needs at all in fact I think Duursma would be perfect since he is a versatile midfielder that could go half back, inside or outside with speed as well. When Dayne Beams was drafted to pies he himself was a versatile midfielder that played half back, inside or outside. Yeah I have Brisbane drafting Tom Berry and McFadyn in there later picks but I wouldnt be surprised if they added Mitch Mcguire in there. A Zorko type player and with zorko turning 30 next year who knows mate, but I suggest you check out Zak Butters and Mitch Mcguire and have a suss!
Great draft by the way. so tell me what if GC don't trade picks with Carlton and the blues keep pick one do they still take Rankin, or walsh?
If Carlton does keep pick 1 than no doubt I think they will choose Sam Walsh who would help Carlton tremendously.

Thanks for the reply mate I appreciate it, but not at all am I being bias. I think Sam Walsh is a great talent and I did mention the clear best midfielder in this draft. However I didn't say Carlton will trade pick 1 just for pick 2 and 3, I also added a next years first rounder from Carlton which would be pick 1-3 in my eyes. If you read my whole thread I gave the scenario of me not thinking Gold Coast will draft Lukosius and Rozee 2 and 3 just because I don't think they will commit to the club for a long period of time and the same goes to Rozee or Bailey Smith. King brothers could be the other possibility of being drafted 2 and 3 to GC but what if one of the brothers gets homesick and is not feeling it at GC so he decides to leave and the other King brother left at GC. With GC its all about how serious the player who they draft is on committing to the club. Sam Walsh is a no go home risk factor that supports Brisbane and has family in Queensland. GC also want midfielders and he is the best in this draft so if you add all that up it would make sense for GC to go for pick 1 and we would not give it easy so I think Pick 1 and next years first rounder (possible 1-3 pick) will go for pick 2 and 3. Caldwell being no flight risk too and a great midfielder could go to 6. If Walsh goes pick 1 to GC and Carlton has 2 and 3 no doubt will I think that Carlton will go for Izak Rankine who is the best player in the draft. Rankine mentioned himself that moving states is no problem at all for him he just wants to play AFL and if he likes the club and feels comfortable there he will continue to stay at that club for the future. I think Carltons culture if perfect for him with a young fun group of kids that will make Rankine fit in easily. With GC I think he would suit them to I am just not sure if they can make him stay at the club for years. GC should start interviewing these prospects and giving real questions like 'what can we do to make you feel at home and stay with us for a long period of time'.

That's why they are taking both. They are mates, and for a rival team to trade for them both would cost well over what they would want to pay or even have

That's why they are taking both. They are mates, and for a rival team to trade for them both would cost well over what they would want to pay or even have
Alright so when you say and that's why GC are taking both Lukosius and Rozee is because they are mates? What makes you think its a done deal, because the media are spouting it all over? Yeah they are friends I understand, but do we know they are both committed to move state together at GC and fully commit to them the rest of their careers without getting homesick or moving back to SA? That's the question for me and why I don't have either going to GC.

Alright so when you say and that's why GC are taking both Lukosius and Rozee is because they are mates? What makes you think its a done deal, because the media are spouting it all over? Yeah they are friends I understand, but do we know they are both committed to move state together at GC and fully commit to them the rest of their careers without getting homesick or moving back to SA? That's the question for me and why I don't have either going to GC.
I get what you mean , but your idea is speculation.GC still hold pick 2,3 .I am not saying you are wrong but there are too much variable in what If in your scenario .

Last edited:
I get what you mean , but your idea is speculation in another , right now GC had 2,3 until GC trade it GC going in with 2,3 .
Oh yeah for sure. As I've stated in my whole thread which is my own opinion, this is what I think will happen not entirely what will happen. Noyone knows what happens until draft night is over. But I'm just saying don't always believe what the media says. All I know is I am going by what I think and what I think is Lukosius and Rozee will not be fully committed to GC as well as Rankine. King brothers possibly but who knows if one gets homesick, what does that lead for the other. With Walsh what you see is what you get (star midfielder) and he has no problem moving states. As a GC what are you wanting and seeing for your team in this draft?

Oh yeah for sure. As I've stated in my whole thread which is my own opinion, this is what I think will happen not entirely what will happen. Noyone knows what happens until draft night is over. But I'm just saying don't always believe what the media says. All I know is I am going by what I think and what I think is Lukosius and Rozee will not be fully committed to GC as well as Rankine. King brothers possibly but who knows if one gets homesick, what does that lead for the other. With Walsh what you see is what you get (star midfielder) and he has no problem moving states. As a GC what are you wanting and seeing for your team in this draft?
Somebody on Suns board attend GC meeting and ask about this year draft , Craig Cameron said going in with 5 top 30 pick and guess what GC end up maitaining pick 2,3 ,6,24,29 after player trade period .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back