Phantom Draft Zookotas 2019 Phantom Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

No I haven't to be honest ahah. I havent read much into other mock drafts this year since I have been extremely busy. I was literally going to not do it this year. Out of the three lions picks, who do you rate the most.
They’re different players, so it’s not really who I rate the most.

Both Rantall and Gould are personal favourites of mine.

I really dislike where our first pick is situated, and Rivers feels like a best available pick at our first pick, but he does fit a need and is very much a Chris Fagan and David Noble type player.

Don’t expect us to hold on to pick 34. We’re actively shopping it for a future 2nd round pick.

They’re different players, so it’s not really who I rate the most.

Both Rantall and Gould are personal favourites of mine.

I really dislike where our first pick is situated, and Rivers feels like a best available pick at our first pick, but he does fit a need and is very much a Chris Fagan and David Noble type player.

Don’t expect us to hold on to pick 34. We’re actively shopping it for a future 2nd round pick.
I absolutely LOVE Rantall aswell! Him and Green are a perfect duo and his showcasing that he is going to be a perfect two way runner that will be hard at the game and just rack it. Reminds me a tiny bit of Fiorini who I think will explode next year. Do you think you will get Martyn and Coleman later on?

I absolutely LOVE Rantall aswell! Him and Green are a perfect duo and his showcasing that he is going to be a perfect two way runner that will be hard at the game and just rack it. Reminds me a tiny bit of Fiorini who I think will explode next year. Do you think you will get Martyn and Coleman later on?
I don’t believe we’re looking at Martyn.

Noble has mentioned we’re considering both Coleman and Cumberland.

Interested you have Young so low in your own rankings, albeit taken by Melbourne at 4. looks very classy to me, so would be interested in knowing your thoughts on why he is isn't in your top few.

F.w.i.w. Agree on Gould - moves a bit like a freighter. Might be a good pickup for a club that need some grunt, like Gold Coast, but that's not necessarily a good system/club for him to be in.

Interested you have Young so low in your own rankings, albeit taken by Melbourne at 4. looks very classy to me, so would be interested in knowing your thoughts on why he is isn't in your top few.

F.w.i.w. Agree on Gould - moves a bit like a freighter. Might be a good pickup for a club that need some grunt, like Gold Coast, but that's not necessarily a good system/club for him to be in.
Don't get me wrong I think Young is as classy as it gets but the players I rate better in my preference is for the long run aswell. Those are the players on who would be high on my list come draft day for now and future, but I just do not see Melbourne bidding on Liam Henry or Maginness with Pick 3 nor do I honestly see them going Luke Jackson with pick 3 or 8 even though Jason Taylor stated himself that could be the option. I rate Luke Jackson highly and although I hear Melbourne are wanting another person that can help Gawn by playing in the forward line and little stints in the ruck I just wouldn't want Luke to be that guy with the potential of being a top pure ruckman in the future. I could definitely see Dylan Stephens being on their list even though they still added speed with Tomlinson and Langdon. Kemp is one I don't see the dees picking at all since they were a team to be reckoned with in 2018 and I feel like they will bounce back in 2020 and need players to help instantly.

2 months ago I had Young the clear one going to Melbourne with their early pick and I still stand by it. Hibberd is ageing and will be 30 next year, so it would make sense to pick someone rated so highly and can easily take that place with having the best kick in this draft by a mile.

I'd be wrapped with that draft haul.
What a draft hey!

I think the winners of this draft were the obvious in Gold Coast and Fremantle with Geelong,Sydney and Collingwood not far behind. Cameron Taheny at pick 50 a major steal and I hope Geelong improves his mindset to the fullest because he can be one of the top Medium forwards in AFL future.

I am actually extremely shocked O'neill did not even get drafted despite playing two great years and making both All Australians for each year. Reminds me of Sydney Stack abit but better in my eyes, I really do hope he finds a club. I am thinking Richmond could take him to be honest or maybe Adelaide.

What a draft hey!

I think the winners of this draft were the obvious in Gold Coast and Fremantle with Geelong,Sydney and Collingwood not far behind. Cameron Taheny at pick 50 a major steal and I hope Geelong improves his mindset to the fullest because he can be one of the top Medium forwards in AFL future.

I am actually extremely shocked O'neill did not even get drafted despite playing two great years and making both All Australians for each year. Reminds me of Sydney Stack abit but better in my eyes, I really do hope he finds a club. I am thinking Richmond could take him to be honest or maybe Adelaide.
Big chance for the Tigers, but better than Stack? Should have gone top 5 then. Nah, what would I know, have never seen the kid play but the Tigers have been talking.

Big chance for the Tigers, but better than Stack? Should have gone top 5 then. Nah, what would I know, have never seen the kid play but the Tigers have been talking.
If he should of been top 5 than why didn't Stack get drafted in national draft or rookie draft, know what I mean ;). I am not denying the talent of Stack but glad he played earlier on when Richmond were suffering with injuries. I hope Richmond or Adelaide pick Mitch O'neill, really deserving kid and its heartbreaking to me he didnt get picked.

If he should of been top 5 than why didn't Stack get drafted in national draft or rookie draft, know what I mean ;). I am not denying the talent of Stack but glad he played earlier on when Richmond were suffering with injuries. I hope Richmond or Adelaide pick Mitch O'neill, really deserving kid and its heartbreaking to me he didnt get picked.
Ahhh....Just saying Stack has shown on exposed form that he could have been a top 5 pick. Obviously he wasn't taken there for reasons only known to club recruiters.

I too hope that Mitch O'Neill ends up with the Tigers, we do have a long connection with the Tassie lads. TBH, I don't know how far off we were to relocating to Tassie as the Tassie Tigers in our dark years.

Ahhh....Just saying Stack has shown on exposed form that he could have been a top 5 pick. Obviously he wasn't taken there for reasons only known to club recruiters.

I too hope that Mitch O'Neill ends up with the Tigers, we do have a long connection with the Tassie lads. TBH, I don't know how far off we were to relocating to Tassie as the Tassie Tigers in our dark years.
Oooh top 5 pick nah I don't think so at all. If we are talking as a whole career we have to see others play and theres much more talent than him who hasnt played yet. He is a great player but he also had heaps of opportunity to play when Richmond were down on players with injuries, however there are things he can do that others cant and that speaks alot.

Oooh top 5 pick nah I don't think so at all. If we are talking as a whole career we have to see others play and theres much more talent than him who hasnt played yet. He is a great player but he also had heaps of opportunity to play when Richmond were down on players with injuries, however there are things he can do that others cant and that speaks alot.
OK, I respect your knowledge of where players sit with regards to rankings etc. And no, Stack wasn't towted as a top 5 pick last year although many had him going 1st -2nd round. I also understand that he got opportunities at Richmond because we had injuries.

But on exposed form for a first year player he is a stand out, have a look at the Schick ratings below.

Also, have a look at this video from the AFL with the Champion Data guys talking about his "truly remarkable" season.

These are just ratings from stats guys but Stack's impact/possession for a 1st year player are definitely outstanding and by exposed form in his 1st year he is arguably in the top 5.

I'm not really interested in arguing about Stack, it's just that you said that O'Neill reminded you of Stack but is better IYO. If that's the case then why has he been overlooked too? He doesn't have the issues that Stack was perceived to have had, so, in your opinion, what's the problem?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

OK, I respect your knowledge of where players sit with regards to rankings etc. And no, Stack wasn't towted as a top 5 pick last year although many had him going 1st -2nd round. I also understand that he got opportunities at Richmond because we had injuries.

But on exposed form for a first year player he is a stand out, have a look at the Schick ratings below.

Also, have a look at this video from the AFL with the Champion Data guys talking about his "truly remarkable" season.

These are just ratings from stats guys but Stack's impact/possession for a 1st year player are definitely outstanding and by exposed form in his 1st year he is arguably in the top 5.

I'm not really interested in arguing about Stack, it's just that you said that O'Neill reminded you of Stack but is better IYO. If that's the case then why has he been overlooked too? He doesn't have the issues that Stack was perceived to have had, so, in your opinion, what's the problem?
We aren't really arguing about Stack because we both love him and rate him highly, we are just giving strong opinions on some statements each have said. This year he was amazing I never doubted that and if he played round 1 he would be runner up instead of Rozee this year. As I said, the things he can do are amazing and other players cannot much that. Wait for Bailey Smith I just cannot wait for the future. Ben King even played well and has heaps of improvement to go and than theres big Maxy King and Bytel whom im excited for with the saints. Stocker,RDC,Clark there are heaps we need to see in later years. Give us 4 more years where can have a better look. Overall I am not underestimating Stack as a player and applaud the year he had, but top 5 pick that I cannot agree on.

Regards to O'neill it was 100% his bad run of injuries with his ankle. I believe it has been ongoing for 18 months which is a shame but despite that he was playing injured last year in National champs yet made it in the AA as an underager and this year also made it in the AA under 18s, but later on the second half of the year he had a medial ligament tear in the knee. So he is a two time under 18 AA that showcases great talent with his speed, use of ball and deliverance but his run of injuries in my opinion was his downfall in this draft. I believe he will be picked up in the rookie draft or early pre season signing.

We aren't really arguing about Stack because we both love him and rate him highly, we are just giving strong opinions on some statements each have said. This year he was amazing I never doubted that and if he played round 1 he would be runner up instead of Rozee this year. As I said, the things he can do are amazing and other players cannot much that. Wait for Bailey Smith I just cannot wait for the future. Ben King even played well and has heaps of improvement to go and than theres big Maxy King and Bytel whom im excited for with the saints. Stocker,RDC,Clark there are heaps we need to see in later years. Give us 4 more years where can have a better look. Overall I am not underestimating Stack as a player and applaud the year he had, but top 5 pick that I cannot agree on.

Regards to O'neill it was 100% his bad run of injuries with his ankle. I believe it has been ongoing for 18 months which is a shame but despite that he was playing injured last year in National champs yet made it in the AA as an underager and this year also made it in the AA under 18s, but later on the second half of the year he had a medial ligament tear in the knee. So he is a two time under 18 AA that showcases great talent with his speed, use of ball and deliverance but his run of injuries in my opinion was his downfall in this draft. I believe he will be picked up in the rookie draft or early pre season signing.
Agreed, all those players look like 200+ gamers and time will tell.

I assume you are a bit pissed that Carlton didn't pick O'Neill instead of Ramsay, who seems to be similar to a lot of other types on the list. I, for one, was hoping the Tigers picked him up and maybe they will.

Agreed, all those players look like 200+ gamers and time will tell.

I assume you are a bit pissed that Carlton didn't pick O'Neill instead of Ramsay, who seems to be similar to a lot of other types on the list. I, for one, was hoping the Tigers picked him up and maybe they will.
I was actually very pleased with Carlton. SOS is an absolute genius and I respect him highly in regards to Wells. I said Carlton won the Stocker trade with Adelaide last year straight away when it happend and for what is has lead to now its beyond my wishes. Stocker was my 5th favourite player in last years draft and for him to get to Carlton I was beyond happy. Forward to this years draft we used Adelaides first rounder this year to make a trade with GC for 17 and 22, use 22 to swap with ports 20 and than get Kemp who I rated my 5th favourite in Phantom draft and got the player I wanted with Philp who is underrated and and has great speed. So basically we got Stocker,Kemp and Philp in return from Pick 4 initially to Adelaide but changed to 6 and got McAsey. I think that is a massive win. We got picks based on needs with speed and now have heaps of midfield depth. I am not upset at all with the pick of Ramsay since he finished the season well. Although I would of loved Mitch O'neill, I will not deny how please I am on what Carlton has done. Bring on the future, I cannot wait!!!

I was actually very pleased with Carlton. SOS is an absolute genius and I respect him highly in regards to Wells. I said Carlton won the Stocker trade with Adelaide last year straight away when it happend and for what is has lead to now its beyond my wishes. Stocker was my 5th favourite player in last years draft and for him to get to Carlton I was beyond happy. Forward to this years draft we used Adelaides first rounder this year to make a trade with GC for 17 and 22, use 22 to swap with ports 20 and than get Kemp who I rated my 5th favourite in Phantom draft and got the player I wanted with Philp who is underrated and and has great speed. So basically we got Stocker,Kemp and Philp in return from Pick 4 initially to Adelaide but changed to 6 and got McAsey. I think that is a massive win. We got picks based on needs with speed and now have heaps of midfield depth. I am not upset at all with the pick of Ramsay since he finished the season well. Although I would of loved Mitch O'neill, I will not deny how please I am on what Carlton has done. Bring on the future, I cannot wait!!!
Ha...There's nothing like looking at the draft and seeing (hoping) that the list is getting better and the team is looking at least competitive. Believe me, as a Tigers supporter I've been through some dark times. I personally hope that Carlton get their s**t together and again be the powerhouse they once were. There's been a lot of damage done, but the rivalry and banter with the Blue Baggers is something that is missing. Good luck with the future, but not too much, LOL

Ha...There's nothing like looking at the draft and seeing (hoping) that the list is getting better and the team is looking at least competitive. Believe me, as a Tigers supporter I've been through some dark times. I personally hope that Carlton get their s**t together and again be the powerhouse they once were. There's been a lot of damage done, but the rivalry and banter with the Blue Baggers is something that is missing. Good luck with the future, but not too much, LOL
Haha I appreciate that comment! Good luck with Dow, I am excited to hopefully see a round 1 brotherly rival between the two. You should be happy with Richmonds drafting too. I probably would of gotten a pure winger aswell but Id be happy. I rate Dow, but surprised chosen with pick 21 and I rate Martyn. Liked the Brisbane duo bids.

Haha I appreciate that comment! Good luck with Dow, I am excited to hopefully see a round 1 brotherly rival between the two. You should be happy with Richmonds drafting too. I probably would of gotten a pure winger aswell but Id be happy. I rate Dow, but surprised chosen with pick 21 and I rate Martyn. Liked the Brisbane duo bids.
We lost a winger in Ellis, who was a top notch 2 way runner and filled holes in our defensive structure. But there are a few waiting in the sidelines.

It looks to me like the boys that have been brought in are 2-3 year prospects, our current depth is quite good with no glaring holes in any lines. I think there's a bit of succession planning going on with the picks from this year and last year.

I think Essendon did us a favour with their earlier bid on the other Lions Academy player, didn't give the Lions any room to adjust once they reacted to the earlier bid, which meant they were hamstrung when our bids came in for Cumberland and Martyn,could be said it was a smart move from our recruiters but time will tell. Pretty happy with the 'Biggy' pick as he should be well mentored with Chol.

If I look at the overall picture for the Tigers what I see is that the players traded in all have speed, lateral evasiveness, good overhead and great hands. To me that screams Richmond's gameplan.

We lost a winger in Ellis, who was a top notch 2 way runner and filled holes in our defensive structure. But there are a few waiting in the sidelines.

It looks to me like the boys that have been brought in are 2-3 year prospects, our current depth is quite good with no glaring holes in any lines. I think there's a bit of succession planning going on with the picks from this year and last year.

I think Essendon did us a favour with their earlier bid on the other Lions Academy player, didn't give the Lions any room to adjust once they reacted to the earlier bid, which meant they were hamstrung when our bids came in for Cumberland and Martyn,could be said it was a smart move from our recruiters but time will tell. Pretty happy with the 'Biggy' pick as he should be well mentored with Chol.

If I look at the overall picture for the Tigers what I see is that the players traded in all have speed, lateral evasiveness, good overhead and great hands. To me that screams Richmond's gameplan.
Yeah look, I have always had a small crush on Ellis especially his 2013-2015 years but my good he is a soft utensil. Look his gone now so I wish him all the best and I did love his workrate. Who are the few you would say are on the sidelines.

I am pleased with Tigers picks since 2016. Cannot wait to see RCD,English,bit more of jack ross, improvement in Jack Graham, Higgins obviously (met him a couple times via friends and the biggest sweetheart). Martyn was the pick I liked alot, kicks on both feet well and has some pace for a big boy.

O'neill got picked up this morning by West Coast. Was iffy at first but I think it is a brilliant pick for the future and hope it gives him time to improve on his injuries. As you can tell WCE are purely aiming for another premiership gaining Kelly aswell and most of their top mids aging nearly hitting the 30s. They have a couple young mid talent I rate highly that I hope can gain as much experience from one of the best midfield group right now (Ainsworth,Venables,Foley and now both Xavier and Mitch O'neill).

Yes, Ellis is renowned for his 'short stepping'.
Broadly speaking.
Defensive wingers would be Caddy, Macintosh, Stack, Short, Baker and Graham
Offensive wingers would be Lambert, Pickett, Rioli, Edwards, Bolton and Castagna.
Up and comers would be Ross, Naish, Turner, Markov and Higgins.
It's a bit hard to pigeon hole who actually plays wing cos of the style of play.

Good on O'Neill, best of luck to the lad.

I know its a few days after the draft, but I wanted to add one player in my top 15 favourites and replace him with Jeremy Sharp. Been watching more and more of Schoenberg and his talents and what I see in the future for him makes it in my top 6 favourites

My personal top 15 favourites:
1.Tom Green
2.Noah Anderson
3.Matt Rowell
4.Dylan Stephens
5.Brodie Kemp
6. Harry Schoenberg
7.Luke Jackson
8.Jay Rantall
9.Liam Henry
10.Cameron Taheny
11.Elijah Taylor