Zorko interview....

QLDatHEART

Team Captain
May 27, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I thought Zorko's interview deserved its own thread.

I've never seen a player that angry, emotional and disappointed in an interview. Up on lions.com.au
I judge a player not just on his form.... But his love for our club and its members..... You and me.

Seeing Zorko clearly upset, and verbalising how shattered he was for the VIC members.... how the club wasn't playing like a family they pride themselves on.... Picked me off the floor.

The Brisbane Lions..... The players, staff and of course the members are all Shattered.

It was an embarrassing game.
After that interview though I'm now 110% positive that the Lions are going to be wild and willing to tear the Tigers to shreds.

Players like JWatson, GArcher and of course JBrown are loved for their talent but loved more for the passion and loyalty they showed their club and fans.

Thanks Zorks.

Last edited:
People complaining that he hasn't played well so why has he come out and said all of this...it would have been a mistake to talk about himself specifically in the interview and it would have been even more of a mistake if no one from the leadership group came out and spoke to the media and fans. Rocky can't do it he wasn't playing, wouldn't be as effective. I think it's sufficient to say that Zorko would know he hasn't been playing to the standards required either and that he includes himself in all of the criticism.

Good on him and go lions.

QLDatHEART

Team Captain
May 27, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I liked him how he mentions his disappointment for their showing infront of the Vic fans. I honestly like hearing interviews like this, shows he actually gives a f$&k and loves the club
Totally. Zorko was burning.

I'm hoping for the penny to drop soon for this team. I want them burning hungry every game like the Lions used to be.... Like Geelong at the peek of their powers.

When the kicks and marks aren't working then get fierce and make the opposition sorry you ever turned it over.

The only question mark I have on Dayne Beams is whether or not his laid back relaxed attitude works for him but maybe not for others who it's rubbing off on.

I dunno.

bato

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 7, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Denver Nuggets, Novak Djokovic
Heard it all before. Blah blah. Zorko may be emotionally invested, but I can guarantee that a few of the younger blokes have lost some of their drive and enthusiasm after such a big loss. It's only natural.

That being said, the game should be close. Both teams are struggling. No excuse for another blowout.

Oct 13, 2001
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lions
Heard it all before. Blah blah. Zorko may be emotionally invested, but I can guarantee that a few of the younger blokes have lost some of their drive and enthusiasm after such a big loss. It's only natural.

That being said, the game should be close. Both teams are struggling. No excuse for another blowout.

I will be devastated if we put in a meek, wishy-washy performance against the Tigers. We are so overdue to beat them but even if we lose, I want to leave the ground feeling that we gave it everything and left nothing out there.

Whilst the comments from Zorko are welcome, the time for talk is over. Let's see some real four quarter commitment and grunt from the team collectively and as individuals.

bato

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 7, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
I will be devastated if we put in a meek, wishy-washy performance against the Tigers. We are so overdue to beat them but even if we lose, I want to leave the ground feeling that we gave it everything and left nothing out there.

Whilst the comments from Zorko are welcome, the time for talk is over. Let's see some real four quarter commitment and grunt from the team collectively and as individuals.
Surely by now you would have gotten used to wishy-washy performances by the Lions. Only been like that for the past five years. :rolleyes:

Oct 13, 2001
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lions
Surely by now you would have gotten used to wishy-washy performances by the Lions. Only been like that for the past five years. :rolleyes:

Rubbish.

There have been some truly inspirational, memorable moments and fantastic comeback wins................. unfortunately interspersed with some equally horrendous, deflating and horrid performances. Both at home and away.

What we need from the team is a degree of consistency, if not in performance, then at least in commitment.

QLDatHEART

Team Captain
May 27, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Coming off pretty bitter here Bato... It's only game 2.

What I loved about Zorko's interview is that it wasn't just words. He was pissed, he was feeling pain and frustration. This interview wasn't just another piece of lip service full of cliches.... And it was good to hear.

bato

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 7, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams

What I loved about Zorko's interview is that it wasn't just words. He was pissed, he was feeling pain and frustration. This interview wasn't just another piece of lip service full of cliches.... And it was good to hear.
The truth can be very bitter at times. Not gonna sit here and say we've never thrown up performances like last Sunday before.

bato

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 7, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Rubbish.

There have been some truly inspirational, memorable moments and fantastic comeback wins................. unfortunately interspersed with some equally horrendous, deflating and horrid performances. Both at home and away.

What we need from the team is a degree of consistency, if not in performance, then at least in commitment.
I think we can all agree that when things aren't going well with the Lions, bad habits start to creep in. They only start fixing themselves up towards the end of the season. Hopefully we can get ourselves out of this early rot and start playing some decent footy again. It's just an attitude thing after all.

QLDatHEART

Team Captain
May 27, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I think we can all agree that when things aren't going well with the Lions, bad habits start to creep in. They only start fixing themselves up towards the end of the season. Hopefully we can get ourselves out of this early rot and start playing some decent footy again. It's just an attitude thing after all.

Of course you're right and I'm sure we're all feeling the same... We get promised a lot then get pumped for the first half of the season.

I think it's more of a confidence thing than attitude. We don't know how to win games that really matter. We crumble when there's pressure and expectation.
We play unbelievable footy when the pressure is off like in NAB and games against teams that no one expects us to challenge.

It's a mental thing that needs to be fixed now.... I think that starts with a bit of righteous anger from our players. Zorks showed that in the presser. Let's hope that as captain this week he can bring the others along.

Sep 18, 2009
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
a little too late for me... I travelled to melbourne last year for the same game and it was embarrassing. .. I would have liked to think this year they would have been pumped to put up a better effort for the people who watched the same mess last year

Simbatheking21

All Australian
Sep 11, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Totally. Zorko was burning.

I'm hoping for the penny to drop soon for this team. I want them burning hungry every game like the Lions used to be.... Like Geelong at the peek of their powers.

When the kicks and marks aren't working then get fierce and make the opposition sorry you ever turned it over.

The only question mark I have on Dayne Beams is whether or not his laid back relaxed attitude works for him but maybe not for others who it's rubbing off on.

I dunno.

I think the team meeting would of been interesting. I'd like to think Rockliff would of ripped into them also.

time for talk is over though, time to talk on the field. I have watched, read every AFL journos articles about us and not one of them said "it's round two, they could beat richmond, gold coast and west coast in the next three weeks" this would make us 3-2. I know it's a tough ask but we can beat these teams.

As i said the team meeting would be interesting, and hopefully each and every player cops a spray, accepts it and uses it as motivation

lions27

Club Legend
May 13, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Hanley, Rockliff, Merrett, Gardiner, Close, Harwood, Freeman and Clarke? Out of the team means it is unlikely that this speech is going to result in a positive result this week.

Hanley, Rockliff, Merrett, Gardiner, Close, Harwood, Freeman and Clarke? Out of the team means it is unlikely that this speech is going to result in a positive result this week.

A positive result is not necessarily a win. Given how we've capitulated for large chunks of Rounds 1 and 2, I think most of us would take a four quarter effort as a sign that at least some lessons have been learnt.

Jan 9, 2009
Queensland
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Great press conference from Zorko. He needs to come out firing this week and stand up with a big performance against the Tigers(As does the rest of the team of course). I am going to back him in to do so with the Captaincy next to his name.

bato

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 7, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Zorko whack hits home, says Taylor

LEWIS Taylor says stinging criticism from Brisbane Lions vice-captain Dayne Zorko has had the desired effect.

Zorko launched a scathing attack on his teammates in the wake of Sunday's 82-point loss to North Melbourne, saying they were not following the coaches' instructions and not playing their roles for the team.

Taylor said the Lions had "a pretty honest" meeting on Monday to review the game that left the players feeling flat.

Zorko was critical of multiple parts of the Lions' game, including their lack of pressure, which is something Taylor prides himself on.

The 2014 NAB AFL Rising Star winner said it was good to hear the honest feedback.

"If you want to move forward and become a better team you've got to take that feedback on and move on as quickly as you can," Taylor said.

"Our tackling pressure as forward group was down, that's for sure, and we need to pick it up.

"We need to pressure the defence down there and put a score on the board."

The comments from Zorko were even more pointed considering he is likely to captain the team against Richmond on Saturday night in the absence of injured skipper Tom Rockliff.

Taylor said the biggest theme to come out of the review – aside from winning contested ball – was their need to play like a team.

When asked about coach Justin Leppitsch's post-match comment that they were off the pace during premiership matches, Taylor found it hard to argue.

"Leppa and the coaching staff get to see the game up high and down low, so I can't take anything away from his word," he said.

"You have to trust the coaching staff and the team they pick to do the job."

Schmicko

Senior List
Mar 27, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Portland TrailBlazers
I'm a BIG fan of Zorko the Magnificent and his words only reiterated my thoughts! Look out for a big game from him this weekend and a bright future in the Lions Guernsey.

MacMum

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 6, 2007
Ballarat
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

As I posted in Zorks Roster thread, the interview was raw, honest fire and brimstone straight from the heart.....and THAT is what I want to see from our senior players/captains.

Was very impressed, more than I expected to be......

....so often these type of interviews are just saying what they want us to hear, but is missing of feeling etc.and you know it is just spin, platitudes.

Rarely do we see stuff like Zorko delivered.

Captain in waiting. 10/10 Dayne:thumbsu:

Schmicko

Senior List
Mar 27, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Portland TrailBlazers
As I posted in Zorks Roster thread, the interview was raw, honest fire and brimstone straight from the heart.....and THAT is what I want to see from our senior players/captains.

Was very impressed, more than I expected to be......

....so often these type of interviews are just saying what they want us to hear, but is missing of feeling etc.and you know it is just spin, platitudes.

Rarely do we see stuff like Zorko delivered.

Captain in waiting. 10/10 Dayne:thumbsu:

Was thinking the same:)

Back