Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 7, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Denver Nuggets, Novak Djokovic
FULL STATEMENT
Dayne Zorko, Brisbane Lions, has been charged with striking Phil Davis, GWS Giants, during the third quarter of the Round Four NAB Challenge match between the Brisbane Lions and the GWS Giants, played at Metricon Stadium on Sunday March 13, 2016.

In summary, his two-match sanction can be reduced to one match with an early guilty plea.

Based on the available video evidence and a medical report from the GWS Giants Football Club, the incident was assessed as intentional conduct with low impact to the head. The incident was classified as a two-match sanction. The player has no applicable record which impacts the penalty. An early plea enables the player to accept a one-match sanction.

Not surprised, it was just stupidity, he was always going to miss at least a week for an elbow to the throat.

So disappointed with Zorko. Supposed to be a leader and gets a suspension for off the ball conduct in a practice match. Massive error in judgment.

To be fare to zorks if davis didnt run up to him and then proceed to carry on like a pork chop we may not be discussing this. Not to mention if thats elbow had hit 3 inches lower. You never want to be pushed around on the field at any time or any game.

To be fare to zorks if davis didnt run up to him and then proceed to carry on like a pork chop we may not be discussing this. Not to mention if thats elbow had hit 3 inches lower. You never want to be pushed around on the field at any time or any game.
Yeah, heat of the moment stuff, instigated by Davis. Thems the breaks.

And this was directly after cameron took out matho.

Honestly wouldnt be against a 'line in the sand' moment for us. When May knockdd out rocky last year I was so annoyed not one lions player stood up to may. So annoyed. Happens all to often. The boys need to show some love for each other. Not saying that what zorko did was standing up for matho. But not one lions player confronted cameron.

Really wouldnt be upset seeing some of our boys on the sidelines for crossing the line if it meant they are standing up for their mates, their coaches and in particular their fans that give their all to the club. Sick of being pushed around.

To put yourself into a position (especially as a leader within the club AND in a practice match) where you're engaging in conduct which can easily receive a suspension can't be excused. He can still 'stick up for himself'. Davis didn't get suspended because his conduct was proportional to the situation. I can stick up for Zorks if the conduct was on-ball (even if it was a practice match), but not in this instance.

To put yourself into a position (especially as a leader within the club AND in a practice match) where you're engaging in conduct which can easily receive a suspension can't be excused. He can still 'stick up for himself'. Davis didn't get suspended because his conduct was proportional to the situation. I can stick up for Zorks if the conduct was on-ball (even if it was a practice match), but not in this instance.
Again. 3 inches lower would we be discussing this?

Honestly wouldnt be against a 'line in the sand' moment for us. When May knockdd out rocky last year I was so annoyed not one lions player stood up to may. So annoyed. Happens all to often. The boys need to show some love for each other. Not saying that what zorko did was standing up for matho. But not one lions player confronted cameron.

Really wouldnt be upset seeing some of our boys on the sidelines for crossing the line if it meant they are standing up for their mates, their coaches and in particular their fans that give their all to the club. Sick of being pushed around.

How is elbowing Davis in the throat (if that is indeed what he did) off the ball after play had resumed after the Mathieson hit, sensible in any way?

How is elbowing Davis in the throat (if that is indeed what he did) off the ball after play had resumed after the Mathieson hit, sensible in any way?
Did you read the part where I said it was more then likely not related?

Davis jogged up to zorko and wanted to push and shove him. Hence his reaction.

Again. 3 inches lower would we be discussing this.

Again. 3 inches lower would we be discussing this?

Exactly my point. He could have intended to hit him 3 inches lower. He didn't. He's now suspended for a match. Intention is irrelevant when you can't fully control the outcome. You're essentially engaging in this conduct knowing that if you hit 3 inches higher (or w/e it may be) you could be suspended for x amount of games. What is the point in this circumstance? 2 seconds of meaningless contact for a 1 match suspension.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Exactly my point. He could have intended to hit him 3 inches lower. He didn't. He's now suspended for a match. Intention is irrelevant when you can't fully control the outcome. You're essentially engaging in this conduct knowing that if you hit 3 inches higher (or w/e it may be) you could be suspended for x amount of games. What is the point in this circumstance? 2 seconds of meaningless contact for a 1 match suspension.
Are you secretly zorko? If not how do you know what his intent was?

My point is your not going to win many if any games with the opposition knowing they can push you around. You only have to go back to last season where hawthorn where probably the dirtiest team in the comp but they went on to win the flag. Because they are hard at it and dont get pushed around. The last most succesful team over the modern century also had their hardnuts/thugs. Then same with the lions. B.scott c.scott voss johnson never shirked any contest on the ball or not.

The overall outcome is he sits one week out (yes essentially for not a lot of gain) but if that means he is going to stand up for hmself then great.

I think we play a bit too "pretty" for a line in the sand moment. Other than Sauce and Rocky, who legitimately would strike fear into the opposition with their size and behaviour?

Would love to see it, and was also ropeable when May took out Rocky, just unsure where it comes from.

I think we play a bit too "pretty" for a line in the sand moment. Other than Sauce and Rocky, who legitimately would strike fear into the opposition with their size and behaviour?

Would love to see it, and was also ropeable when May took out Rocky, just unsure where it comes from.
To be fare we have two of the more intimadating mid/forwards in the comp. If bell or robinson is going hard out for a ground ball i know i wouldnt be.

10 year ago it wouldn't have been sighted, the games getting softer now. Was more exciting, to all these pansys started playing the game.

I'm not so, so worried about that. Robinson has a pretty hard edge, and I get the feeling that Walker wouldn't mind clattering a pack with above normal enthusiasm.

Still, I agree with Elixuh . The response from Zorko benefits us not at all. It feels good for a few seconds, but doesn't fix Mathieson's face and now we do without our in-form vice captain. The 3 inches is really not the key issue. Zorko had a brain-spasm behind play which almost guarantees suspension.

To be fare we have two of the more intimadating mid/forwards in the comp. If bell or robinson is going hard out for a ground ball i know i wouldnt be.

Sorry, had a moment and forgot about those two. Carlton have been kind to us recently.

Still, 4 of 22 isn't too intimidating. We have been spoiled with having Browny around during for so long. Looking further back, no forward would have hit Matho if he had Mal Michael, Leppa, the Scott twins, Johnno and Pikey for company for the rest of the day.

My point is your not going to win many if any games with the opposition knowing they can push you around. You only have to go back to last season where hawthorn where probably the dirtiest team in the comp but they went on to win the flag. Because they are hard at it and dont get pushed around. The last most succesful team over the modern century also had their hardnuts/thugs. Then same with the lions. B.scott c.scott voss johnson never shirked any contest on the ball or not.

The overall outcome is he sits one week out (yes essentially for not a lot of gain) but if that means he is going to stand up for hmself then great.

1. Erm, I was using your example of 3 inches lower to convey intention. I obviously don't know what Zorko's intention was. I was speaking in the hypothetical as were you when you said 'if it hit 3 inches lower...'

I'm not saying we shouldn't stick up for ourselves. You just have to be smarter about it. In the modern game it is widely known and accepted that if you're off the ball and engage in conduct where an elbow or w/e slips high it will be looked on very dimly.

I wouldn't have thought that Leppa's plan would be to engage in conduct which walks the line between showing aggression and copping a suspension. I think you also need to cut a young group some slack. The more aggressive teams are usually older and more experienced across the board - ala the Lions from the premiership years (who you cited) and the current Hawthorn squad.

was off the ball, but davis was fully involved in the incident. maybe there should be 2 separate levels of gradings for off the ball incidents?
1. coward hit- ah la hall on staker.
2. both committed and involved.

hopefully with players like mitch robinson, nick robertson, tom bell, darcy gardner, dan mcstay coming into the side they can support rocky and sauce in the intimidation area of the game.

I'm not so, so worried about that. Robinson has a pretty hard edge, and I get the feeling that Walker wouldn't mind clattering a pack with above normal enthusiasm.

Still, I agree with Elixuh . The response from Zorko benefits us not at all. It feels good for a few seconds, but doesn't fix Mathieson's face and now we do without our in-form vice captain. The 3 inches is really not the key issue. Zorko had a brain-spasm behind play which almost guarantees suspension.

Yeah, young Robbo is likely flourish into a bit of an enforcer. We will be okay long term, but I don't expect us to be too aggressive at this stage of our development.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back