Zorko the Magician pulls a week off from his hat

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's a difference between standing up for yourself and your mates and getting yourself suspended. Merrett did the former amongst others. Zorko just stuffed up.
Zorko retaliated to someone who stood over him. Incidently caught him high. Im not overly blind to see that it wasnt the smartest thing. But to say it was the wrong thing is just plain stupid. Violence isnt the answer. Im not saying he should king hit him (cause if he did then id be on the other side of the fence. The side most people on here sit.) In all fareness having as close a look as i can it seems davis flinched the exact moment zorko went to push him in the chest. IMHO that flinching motion had forced zorkos hand higher then it was initially intended. Yes if you pull the trigger and kill someone regardless of intent you go away for murder. But not the point im trying to make.

Im all for zorko sitting out round 1. Not because its a long shot that we will win. But more so knowing he will stand up to bigger people pushing him around on the footy field.

Zorko retaliated to someone who stood over him. Incidently caught him high. Im not overly blind to see that it wasnt the smartest thing. But to say it was the wrong thing is just plain stupid.

Most of those who think Zorko was dumb think he should have removed any chance of hitting Davis high, not that he shouldn't have stood up for himself. I have no idea whether it was his intent to hit Davis in the neck, and personally I doubt it, but ultimately Davis got hit in the neck.

Your previous post basically created a straw man that didn't represent their views:

Mate. Your wasting your time with this sentiment i tried and failed. Apparently standing up for yourself or your mates is out of date and unnecessary and we should just let ourselves get trampled on.

The bolded part is just bullshit.

Violence isnt the answer. Im not saying he should king hit him (cause if he did then id be on the other side of the fence. The side most people on here sit.)

I don't think anyone believes you or anyone else are saying he should have king hit Davis.

In all fareness having as close a look as i can it seems davis flinched the exact moment zorko went to push him in the chest. IMHO that flinching motion had forced zorkos hand higher then it was initially intended. Yes if you pull the trigger and kill someone regardless of intent you go away for murder. But not the point im trying to make.

Im all for zorko sitting out round 1. Not because its a long shot that we will win. But more so knowing he will stand up to bigger people pushing him around on the footy field.

Again, most of those who you're arguing against don't think Zorko standing up for himself or Mathieson or whatever he was doing was the stupid act. The stupid act was not removing any chance of hitting Davis high - the end result of doing that means we're without one of our key players for a game. Trying to draw analogies to king hits or killing people is just trying to muddy the water.

Most of those who think Zorko was dumb think he should have removed any chance of hitting Davis high, not that he shouldn't have stood up for himself. I have no idea whether it was his intent to hit Davis in the neck, and personally I doubt it, but ultimately Davis got hit in the neck.

Your previous post basically created a straw man that didn't represent their views:

I don't think anyone believes you or anyone else are saying he should have king hit Davis.

Again, most of those who you're arguing against don't think Zorko standing up for himself or Mathieson or whatever he was doing was the stupid act. The stupid act was not removing any chance of hitting Davis high - the end result of doing that means we're without one of our key players for a game. Trying to draw analogies to king hits or killing people is just trying to muddy the water.

This is exactly the point.

If you're standing up for Mathieson, lay a hard and legal tackle/s on Cameron. Don't have a brain explosion that will predictably get you suspended.

Has accepted the 1 week. So now we get no Beams and Zorko. Bundy and Rocky havent played a game. Our biggest strength and the area we need to keep whole already significantly weakened.

Zorko the only one that was avoidable.

This will be my last post on this subject. As the point im trying to make isnt getting accross the way id like. I do have a hard time explaining myself at the best of times.

I have no problem with what zorko had done. He has accepted his one game ban so he gets a holiday. I would of done the same thing personally but with intention to strike in the chest. Sometimes things happen. How many sly elbows or little slaps on the face does buddy "mr protected" franklin get away with?

Next time someone goes up to zorko to intimadate him id expect the same. But with better execution. This was a case of mere inches. If he shoved him in the chest which in my not educated opinion/assumption on the matter as i am not dayne and do not speak for him at all then we wouldn't even have been discussing this. Poor execution IMO. Not poor judgement.

I know this paints me in a bad way but physical sport is just that. If the contact was lower it would not be an issue. Im more then happy to be the bad guy and have a differing opinion to things.

This will be my last post on this subject. As the point im trying to make isnt getting accross the way id like. I do have a hard time explaining myself at the best of times.

I have no problem with what zorko had done. He has accepted his one game ban so he gets a holiday. I would of done the same thing personally but with intention to strike in the chest. Sometimes things happen. How many sly elbows or little slaps on the face does buddy "mr protected" franklin get away with?

Next time someone goes up to zorko to intimadate him id expect the same. But with better execution. This was a case of mere inches. If he shoved him in the chest which in my not educated opinion/assumption on the matter as i am not dayne and do not speak for him at all then we wouldn't even have been discussing this. Poor execution IMO. Not poor judgement.

I know this paints me in a bad way but physical sport is just that. If the contact was lower it would not be an issue. Im more then happy to be the bad guy and have a differing opinion to things.

I agree with that. I just think he was dumb for his poor execution.

I don't think Zorko was in any way retaliating to Mathieson being hit ... I think he just got totally sucked in by a bit of a jumper shove and some kind words.

This. Unfortunately.

He got played. And I am all for players flying the flag, but this is a poor example.

If Zorko was flying the flag it would have been to the bloke that did it, not a random 50m away. It was an isolated incident. Whether he wanted to or not, he did get him high, and it was dumbto put himself in that situation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After all thats been said about zorko i cant find much about Cameron's possible 4 game suspension at the giants board.

After all thats been said about zorko i cant find much about Cameron's possible 4 game suspension at the giants board.

Maybe their 6 supporters have other things to do.

I'm happy for a big key position player to line up another team's antagonist any time and run right through them, turn around and stand over them and point into their face and yell, "this s**t stops here". If they get 4 weeks I'd be happy. It would be so widely reported that every other club would hear about it, commentators would discuss at length that some sort of change at the Lions was going on, all the Lions players would know there was no more mucking around and taking beating after beating. By the time the dust settled there would be a new respect and a new self belief and the supporters would flock back with a belief that the change they have waiting for had occurred. Call me old school but Roger Merrit did it, Jonathan Brown did it and Michael Voss did it and so did the Scott boys in varying degrees of judicial success. They were tough me playing a tough sport - sometimes you do have to draw the line in the sand, for yourself, your supporters and the opposition. We may think the game is all white and clean and sanitised like a hospital ward but its still a game about passion and sometimes you still need to speak with brut force. The goody two shoes, minorities that never went over the white line and go belted will bleat and carry on and call the player a thug and undisciplined but a couple of years after they retire they can go into the 'Jungle' where the broader public vote and they will come out the heroes the true believers knew they alway were. Respect is earned, not asked for. Leaders think what needs to be done and do it full well knowing the consequences both good and bad and that is what sets them aside from those that simply loose there temper in a rush of blood.

I'm happy for a big key position player to line up another team's antagonist any time and run right through them, turn around and stand over them and point into their face and yell, "this s**t stops here". If they get 4 weeks I'd be happy. It would be so widely reported that every other club would hear about it, commentators would discuss at length that some sort of change at the Lions was going on, all the Lions players would know there was no more mucking around and taking beating after beating. By the time the dust settled there would be a new respect and a new self belief and the supporters would flock back with a belief that the change they have waiting for had occurred. Call me old school but Roger Merrit did it, Jonathan Brown did it and Michael Voss did it and so did the Scott boys in varying degrees of judicial success. They were tough me playing a tough sport - sometimes you do have to draw the line in the sand, for yourself, your supporters and the opposition. We may think the game is all white and clean and sanitised like a hospital ward but its still a game about passion and sometimes you still need to speak with brut force. The goody two shoes, minorities that never went over the white line and go belted will bleat and carry on and call the player a thug and undisciplined but a couple of years after they retire they can go into the 'Jungle' where the broader public vote and they will come out the heroes the true believers knew they alway were. Respect is earned, not asked for. Leaders think what needs to be done and do it full well knowing the consequences both good and bad and that is what sets them aside from those that simply loose there temper in a rush of blood.

Roger Merrett captained a side that lost a lot. His example is probably not the best one for a team that would like to stop losing.

Voss, Brown and the Scotts played in a side full of freak-genius players. It's a totally different calculation to our situation. You can afford to take risks to intimidate people when you still have a bunch of All-Australians in the side.

More importantly though, how do you think Clarkson reacted when Hodge and Lewis got suspended for stupid incidents? I doubt they got pats on the back. Games are won by teams with their best side on the park. We'll win respect if we win games, not if we level people for short term gratification.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back