How to get into the vfl (curiosity)?

Remove this Banner Ad

wrfl123

Rookie
May 3, 2012
Footscray
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Is it possible to get into the vfl without having to go play in the tac cup?

its not like im wanting to play in that league, im just curious of how 18+ year old blokes get recruited.

I still have no idea, of how older players get recruited... I have no knowledge about the afl/vfl pathways, can someone inform about this to me please too?

Call up the gm of whichever vfl club you want to join. You may have a meeting/training session and you go from there depending on how you go.

funny enough gazza JR had a mate from his home town an geelong were short on numbers, so he played,that player jason davenport :eek: same thing with big mummy,mates got him in..

geelong an collingwood just steal local players/mates of mates in some games, brad mangan the

Generally there are try out days and quite a few players come down for the pre-season, they play a few games, go on a pre-season camp, and from there coaches decide who they'd like to keep

GM's and Football Managers are easily the best way to find out about these days, generally a lot of people are identified on them

I work at Coburg, we've only had about 5 guys from TAC Cup come in, 1 from WA, 1 ex-AFL, 1 off another VFL club, and the rest from local clubs wanting to have a crack at VFL footy, so if you're keen there are definitely ways to get in. If they want you they sign you up, put you in so that you have a local interchange club, and if you don't make the development or senior side you go and just play for your local side

Generally there are try out days and quite a few players come down for the pre-season, they play a few games, go on a pre-season camp, and from there coaches decide who they'd like to keep

GM's and Football Managers are easily the best way to find out about these days, generally a lot of people are identified on them

I work at Coburg, we've only had about 5 guys from TAC Cup come in, 1 from WA, 1 ex-AFL, 1 off another VFL club, and the rest from local clubs wanting to have a crack at VFL footy, so if you're keen there are definitely ways to get in. If they want you they sign you up, put you in so that you have a local interchange club, and if you don't make the development or senior side you go and just play for your local side

Hmmm, it was just based off my curiosity and I'm not good enough to play in the vfl. I just wanted to know about this stuff. I more likely to play at a senior level at western regional football.

At first, I thought the VFL recruiters are the ones that get amateur players out of the nfl, sfl, wrfl and efl. Well, looks like if somebody wanted to get into vfl they would have to a do trial test during preseason, which is what your telling me and thanks mate.

I know some decent blokes that can play in the vfl, but they chose to not too.

Sorry to bother you, when are the testing days? and do the vfl favour senior western regional players?

Hmmm, it was just based off my curiosity and I'm not good enough to play in the vfl. I just wanted to know about this stuff. I more likely to play at a senior level at western regional football.

At first, I thought the VFL recruiters are the ones that get amateur players out of the nfl, sfl, wrfl and efl. Well, looks like if somebody wanted to get into vfl they would have to a do trial test during preseason, which is what your telling me and thanks mate.

I know some decent blokes that can play in the vfl, but they chose to not too.

Sorry to bother you, when are the testing days? and do the vfl favour senior western regional players?

Testing days are generally in November or December, before the pre-season
I wouldn't say there's a huge favour towards western players, but there are more players who do come across to the vfl from there than from the EFL and such, most of ours are from the Essendon District Football League, but some are from the country, one was from Echuca, one from Bendigo, Traralgon, Sunbury, Seymour, so they come from a fair way. I think the clubs in the West like Williamstown might recruit more locally for the west, as most players tend to try playing with the closest VFL club first. I guess ultimately it would be a club by club thing.

i guess the reason not to come across to VFL is the lack of money if you earn it when playing seniors, i know people in local footy are getting more now so that's starting to diminish the quality a bit

Testing days are generally in November or December, before the pre-season
I wouldn't say there's a huge favour towards western players, but there are more players who do come across to the vfl from there than from the EFL and such, most of ours are from the Essendon District Football League, but some are from the country, one was from Echuca, one from Bendigo, Traralgon, Sunbury, Seymour, so they come from a fair way. I think the clubs in the West like Williamstown might recruit more locally for the west, as most players tend to try playing with the closest VFL club first. I guess ultimately it would be a club by club thing.

i guess the reason not to come across to VFL is the lack of money if you earn it when playing seniors, i know people in local footy are getting more now so that's starting to diminish the quality a bit

Thanks continstar

Can you come from anywhere to try out?

Yes, you can :).

I reckon its best to join in an afl affilated team.

I'm already playing seniors now.

I'm thinking I will do preseason at Williamstown Football club and see if I could get in. I wouldn't mind playing for the reserves at vfl level.

I

I would also be interested in playing in the VFL. What sort of fitness levels are they at - does anyone know time trial times or beep tests? Also would you recommend going down during the season and ask if you can join in at a training session and have a look around and meet people? (Im from up near Gold Coast)

Cheers :)

I mean by playing senior level at the western regional football*. I want to play for the reserves at Williamstown. It's more competitive than the wrfl and I don't really care about getting into the senior or developement side or peter jackson squad.

I would also be interested in playing in the VFL. What sort of fitness levels are they at - does anyone know time trial times or beep tests? Also would you recommend going down during the season and ask if you can join in at a training session and have a look around and meet people? (Im from up near Gold Coast)

Cheers :)

Fitness is a key factor, don't worry too much about building up muscle mass and strength. The strength and conditioning coaches they will help you out on that. I reckon it'd great getting 13.0+ on the beep test.

Yes, you can join in. Come down to williamstowns during preseason, and chill with me :).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So how fast would the VFL midfielders be running a 2-3km time trial do you know ? Thankyou :)

I don't know much about the VFL. I just want to play competitive footy.

I will guesstimate around the 10-13 minute mark for the 2-3km run?

Also are they quite open to people coming to have a training session with them, to see how they go?

Hmmm I don't know ummmm

I would say getting into the senior side or the afl development side, is pretty damn hard. If your tall, like 190cm+ you can it will be a bit easier. A lot of footy teams outside and locally favour tall guys, but of course you have to be really good.

However, getting into the reserve side is a lot more easier and thats what im aiming for.

funny enough gazza JR had a mate from his home town an geelong were short on numbers, so he played,that player jason davenport :eek: same thing with big mummy,mates got him in..

geelong an collingwood just steal local players/mates of mates in some games, brad mangan the
that top part is so far off the mail its ridiculous. jase did a full pre season at geelong VFL(after winning the b and f at nilma darnum) with a number of players from our area, he was good enough to get on the list as a top up player. the following season another group of players from our area also went down chris urie, shane mumford.

its not like reserves footy you just dont get a game because a mate knows some one. o_O

wrfl123, how old are you?

I'm 18, turning 19 next year at may.

I know a local is a hell a lot better in terms of cash and amazing people, but nowadays the vfl is competitive. I want to play in the vfl, don't care if im in the reserves, but its worth it.

Played 18's and reserves.Now seniors.

Even getting a regular reserves game can be difficult, so pick your club wisely lads. A lot of guys still spend plenty of time back at local level.

If you're in the Western Suburbs, Williamstown is tough because they have so many Western Bulldogs players available. Werribee or even Port Melbourne might be better options.

A lot of guys try out and play with VFL clubs from 18-22 years and then give up - 3 nights a week training and playing at 11am in the reserves (some Sundays) for $60-$80 gets to them after a while. Local footy is only 2 nights a week, they play at 2pm on a Saturday and get paid better coin.

But it's always good to hear people who want to challenge themselves at a higher level so good luck with it.

Do you think it would be best to go to a club that has no affiliates, as there would be more spaces available. (No AFL players filling spots)

Do you think it would be best to go to a club that has no affiliates, as there would be more spaces available. (No AFL players filling spots)

For compition wise yes, not afl development pathway (wise).

Afl players will only take up the senior list, not the reserves list.

I might not do preseason in the vfl this year, I will just see how I will feel.

For compition wise yes, not afl development pathway (wise).

Afl players will only take up the senior list, not the reserves list.

I might not do preseason in the vfl this year, I will just see how I will feel.
had a mate chris urie playing a geelong a few seasons ago and he said no matter how well he played he always had to make way for AFL listed players. no matter how well he was traveling. Had kicked a few and had 27 possies in 3qtrs one day and spent the 4th on the bench as the AFL guys needed thier game time. in that respect its a negative of being at an aligned club. but the positves generaly include access to better coaches, medical staff and your being noticed week in week out people work at afl clubs etc etc

Remove this Banner Ad

Back