Toast The Curious Case of Jack Darling

Remove this Banner Ad

He was fine, the midfield is the problem. He was instrumental in heaps of forward movements and had a lot of good tap ons and spoils and always seemed to assess the situation well. So he missed a kick.

The midfield missed everything, basic handballs should be scrutinised more than one set shot, it all flows from there. Yes it would have been nice if he'd have kicked it but he had an ok game.

Completely missed a tackle inside 50 and let a defender run off with it after he had him lined up.

It's not his dropped marks or missed shots that is bad. It's his severely reduced defensive pressure.

Time and time again the opposition waltzes the footy out of our 50 if we don't take a mark.

Completely missed a tackle inside 50 and let a defender run off with it after he had him lined up.

It's not his dropped marks or missed shots that is bad. It's his severely reduced defensive pressure.

Time and time again the opposition waltzes the footy out of our 50 if we don't take a mark.
Screen Shot 2017-05-28 at 2.21.15 PM.png

Easily the most frustrating player at the club. Surely this isn't what he's going to be for the rest of his career...

Go back and watch 2011 and 2012 and tell me he's applying the same amount of pressure.

It could simply be that we zone up well which creates the turnover

He's better at it this year than last, I'll give him that. But given his size he can do a lot more to hurt the opposition rather than just pressure them.

Play Jack at fullward and JK CHF. Jack enjoys the spotlight and invariably performs

Would have kicked that last shot in 2012. Competed well though, seems to play better without JK and as the main target which goes against his own logic. Also has strange looking boots.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Go back and watch 2011 and 2012 and tell me he's applying the same amount of pressure.

It could simply be that we zone up well which creates the turnover

He's better at it this year than last, I'll give him that. But given his size he can do a lot more to hurt the opposition rather than just pressure them.
Our forward press in 11/12 was one if not the best going around then. We were built on retaining the ball in our 50. Over the years its slowly dissapeared and this year its non existent. Obviously Jack of 5 years would look much more defensively sound but the fact he is leading this most oppo turnovers due to his pressure means that it his defensive game hasn't fallen off a cliff.

Our forward press in 11/12 was one if not the best going around then. We were built on retaining the ball in our 50. Over the years its slowly dissapeared and this year its non existent. Obviously Jack of 5 years would look much more defensively sound but the fact he is leading this most oppo turnovers due to his pressure means that it his defensive game hasn't fallen off a cliff.
Yeah I guess it's exacerbated because it seems like our whole forward line's pressure has dropped since we started winning in 2015.

Crikey now that IS surprising.

From the outside looking in it looks like his pressure has dropped off immensely. Can't remember the last time i saw him run somebody down.

I suppose running stiff backed at someone and then being easily sidestepped counts as a pressure act.

Ear
Crikey now that IS surprising.

From the outside looking in it looks like his pressure has dropped off immensely. Can't remember the last time i saw him run somebody down.

I suppose running stiff backed at someone and then being easily sidestepped counts as a pressure act.
Earlier in the season I watched a few replays after people wgibged about him and he did some good work defensively. It's not the same as it used to be but you could argue that jk 5 years ago was also much better defensively. Like I said before, our game plan plays a huge role. Back then it was to pester the opportunity and really lock in the ball in our fwd 50 and that was done at all costs.

I was happy with jacks game yesterday apart from the blemish later on. Thats two consecutive games that his work rate has been at its best.tge more he does, the more likely he gets rewarded for effort and more likely he plays himself into form.

Im just having a quick look at JD's stats. In level of Goals and consistency. Jd this season hasnt been held goals and has consistently got 2 goals every game except for 2.In one he got 4 and the other he got 1 and he got injured. You have to back to all the way to 2013 to to find a a patch of kicking goals in every game. In 2012 he kicked a goal every game. Scoreboard wise jack is making a strong presence. Over the last two weeks his defensive and off the ball work has been close to his best. Im hoping for a big effort from jd this week.

Once you start measuring Jack as a forward pocket/flanker instead of comparing him to CHF's like Voldt, Pavlich or Jonno Brown you grow to appreciate what he provides. Despite his imposing frame, the pressure acts suggest he can definitely be carried as 3rd tall/fwd pckt. How many people in that role kick 40 goals every year with ease? Not many.

I wonder why the defensive pressure in the forward 50 has fallen away the way it has. Back then if we got a point the opposition found it very difficult to get the ball out and there was always a chance we could grab a goal on the rebound.

I wonder why the defensive pressure in the forward 50 has fallen away the way it has. Back then if we got a point the opposition found it very difficult to get the ball out and there was always a chance we could grab a goal on the rebound.

Why tackle when you can just corral them meekly with your hands in the air?

Speaking of forward pressure. Im no tactician but why would forwards have to zone off? Seems like a bit of a flawed gameplan against running teams. Push up with the forwards and flankers and zone out the back with mids and half back.

Pressure makes them kick long to our zone and we chop it off and counter attack. That's where the majority of the problems are compared to 2015. No forward pressure so the opposition has time to pick us apart. Midfield has always been slowish but it's made to look worse with the time and space we give the opposition hbfs.

We have lecca, hill, Cripps, a 4th forward flanker and two of the most mobile power forwards in the competition and we can't even lock it in the forward half, let alone the forward 50. No pressure on the ball drop, everyone seems busy trying to free up kennedy but when he can't grab the mark it turns to **** because everyone is out of position blocking for him. Actually kind of optimistic to see us without him this week, hopefully we learn to kick it to the guy in best position rather than kennedy every single time

We all bag darling on his contested marking but he apparently was 15th in the comp for it last year and I think did ok in 2012. Surely it's not a technical thing and it's to with confidence.

We all bag darling on his contested marking but he apparently was 15th in the comp for it last year and I think did ok in 2012. Surely it's not a technical thing and it's to with confidence.
Wait, people bag his contested marking? I thought that was the one part of his game he is indisputably fantastic at. Easily the second best contested mark in our team after McGovern...

Wait, people bag his contested marking? I thought that was the one part of his game he is indisputably fantastic at. Easily the second best contested mark in our team after McGovern...
nah JK and Yeo a better contested marks and I rekon Barrass will surpass him in the distant future. Darling is a good contested mark when he is fully of confidence but even then is not as good as Gov, Jk and yeo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back