Coach Football department changes going forward

Remove this Banner Ad

People bagging Spangher the same way they bagged the Bevo appointment.

I'll readily admit that I'm one of those most negative supporters around, but **** me, the Droop St Danny's are out in force here lately.

I think whether you love Bevo or think he sucks ass i think we can all agree that he’s not being supported enough - think you’d be in the minority if you didn’t agree.

Spangher should be coaching my nephews divi 3 u12s team with his resume, how this bloke walked into a line coach role in forward line coming off a grand final appearance is bloody astonishing to be honest

I’d owned an iPhone for a number of years before Steve Jobs died, I really should have been able to take over his role

People bagging Spangher the same way they bagged the Bevo appointment.

I'll readily admit that I'm one of those most negative supporters around, but * me, the Droop St Danny's are out in force here lately.
Ah in what way are they similar?

Development coach under Malthouse in pies flag, backline coach of the Hawks 3peat, back to back to back premierships in the VAFA, just been hired to head director of coaching at St Kilda.

The bloke had an immaculate footy resume, Spangher did some Ops management part time for the Pies VFL side and spent a year in charge of the FlyBuys loyalty program… has literally never had a development AFL role in his life, you know the role that every coach starts in. Definitely the role you should start in before taking responsibility of a high performing line

Not even on the same page or worth the time of day in comparing

I'm no fan of the Spangher appointment, but no one on here is involved in the day-to-day workings of the club. So how anyone can say he is suitable or not for the role is intriguing.

Sure the forward line lacks cohesiveness, and we generate a ton of i50s and fail to capitalise. But our defence also struggles, and our vaunted mid-field has lowered its colours as well.

Is it the line coaches, the quality of the line coaches or the overall directive from the head coach? If our game plan changed, would our line coaches suddenly look better?

And has playing non-forwards frequently in the forward line created, or highlighted, our forward issues? Many on here post our KPD stocks are not great, through form (Keath), ability/confidence (Gardner), ability/size/speed (Cordy -obviously gone). So if our defence struggles, is it the line coach, the defensive tactics, or just the cattle?

Same with the forwards. Bruce coming back, while having minimal impact on the scoreboard personally, made our forward line function better. He is a smart operator, so I suspect that has a big impact. But if he is squeezed out next year by Naughton/Lobb/JUH, will that cohesion drop away without Bruce as the onfield leader? And is that then the fault of Spangher, the selection committee, or the players?

They won a premiership when they were children.
They should have been the core of our next premiership side. They in all likelihood won't be because of coaching and a lack of support around Beveridge.

Sorry if some don't like this but it really seems like reality.
Excellent twisting of the truth there.

I've been lucky enough to have a few brief superficial chats with someone high up in the club.

Spangher is popular and loved by the players, particularly Naughton and Libba. Of course they wouldn't say anything negative but also most players thanked him at the BnF so I believe it's true.

Apart from last year I don't think we have had a proper functioning forward line in the past decade and a bit?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think questioning the appointment / retention of a coach with little to no experience being handed our forward line is unreasonable.

It's an area we should be investing in with someone who has significant experiences & success to support Naughton, JUH, Weightman & co as they continue to grow.

We're also 12 months in & the forward line was a shambles, so there's already an initial body of evidence.

You don't have time to see how it goes & let him grow into the role.

I don't think questioning the appointment / retention of a coach with little to no experience being handed our forward line is unreasonable.

It's an area we should be investing in with someone who has significant experiences & success to support Naughton, JUH, Weightman & co as they continue to grow.

We're also 12 months in & the forward line was a shambles, so there's already an initial body of evidence.

Questioning it is fine.

Calling for him to be sacked is not.

We're 145 years into our tenure and the forward line has been a shambles, so there's a massive body of evidence that it's not Spangher.

Our defence was a shambles last year, yet 6 years ago when we won a flag that same defensive coach was lauded as an absolute genius.

Shambolic forward line good for 5th most points scored in the league.

Shambolic forward line good for 5th most points scored in the league.

Needs to be better given we were coming off a GF

And we all know forward lines need to do more than just points for these days. The ball walked out very easily a lot of the time which has a flow on effect down the field.

Needs to be better given we were coming off a GF

And we all know forward lines need to do more than just points for these days. The ball walked out very easily a lot of the time which has a flow on effect down the field.
Yeah this, if only it was that simple and high points for meant the forward line was functioning perfectly…

We also completely beat up on shit clubs because they cannot match our midfield - 300 points came in 2 games against the bottom 2 alone. We usually run at a huge inside 50 differential as we have one of the top few midfields in the league, we play majority of our games at the fastest deck in the country. There’s so many factors here and look I don’t have the stats and cbf looking but I’d suggest we score more heavily against poor teams than average and less against good teams than average. And like you mentioned we are the worst team in the comp at allowing transition from def 50.

If posters want to hang their hat on being the 5th highest scoring team that’s fine but I don’t think I can take anyone’s opinion seriously if they’ve watched us play this year and think our forward line has been anything but a mess

Yeah this, if only it was that simple and high points for meant the forward line was functioning perfectly…

We also completely beat up on s**t clubs because they cannot match our midfield - 300 points came in 2 games against the bottom 2 alone. We usually run at a huge inside 50 differential as we have one of the top few midfields in the league, we play majority of our games at the fastest deck in the country. There’s so many factors here and look I don’t have the stats and cbf looking but I’d suggest we score more heavily against poor teams than average and less against good teams than average. And like you mentioned we are the worst team in the comp at allowing transition from def 50.

If posters want to hang their hat on being the 5th highest scoring team that’s fine but I don’t think I can take anyone’s opinion seriously if they’ve watched us play this year and think our forward line has been anything but a mess

Nailed it

Was our forward line really that bad last year? We outscored all bar 4 teams while relying on the likes of Zaine Cordy to play as a second tall forward for a chunk of the year.

On the surface Spangher looked under-qualified, but that stat is probably either on par or even ahead of where most would rate our forward line. Gives me flashback to people complaining about King, Gia and Hansen who are probably all now in the top 10 "next in line" assistants and at other clubs.

EDIT: Just saw someone made a similar comments above. While I'd agree that we let the ball walk out of forward 50, that isn't neccessary a reflection on Spangher's coaching. Clearly bevo for some weird reason loves the concept of winning back the ball without applying any forward pressure.

Not sure if it was coaching or players taking the wrong option but the fwd line was dysfunctional Considering our inside 50s. Our conversion against good teams is poor and as suggested above we do smash the bottom teams.

classic example was the Geelong game at Marvel, we just kept bombing in when Naughton was our only tall. Leading patterns are average at best and quite often we have no one front and centre but all 3 flying for the same ball.

Spangher looks like a likeable guy and maybe has great people skills, but has he any coaching nous, on evidence not a lot.

it is strange we seem to have very little interest in scouting experienced coaches like Ratten. Bevo and Ratten have a pretty good relationship, would have been a good fit for us. All hope for reaching our potential now is on Lades shoulders.

it is strange we seem to have very little interest in scouting experienced coaches like Ratten. Bevo and Ratten have a pretty good relationship, would have been a good fit for us. All hope for reaching our potential now is on Lades shoulders.
Yeah that’s what annoys me so much about the Spangher role, it’s not even him but it’s more the fact that we’re constantly picking from the bottom of the barrel for these jobs, constantly bringing someone in whose ‘fresh’

There has to be a reason we can’t attract experienced coaching talent - we have a good track record of past assistants going on to bigger and better things so the environment can’t be that shit, why aren’t coaches lining up to work under a premiership coach and be in charge of a very good team who can hopefully get results and forward their coaching careers, I mean we were coming off a grandfinal and could only reel in Spangher and Webb? yes we’re the battlers in the western suburbs but we’ve had great facilities, can quite easily live anywhere nice in Melbourne and easily access to the inner west for work, we’re quite capable of meeting the soft cap everyone else runs to.

It’s just frustrating from an outsiders view as it really shouldn’t be the case and I think that’s where all the frustration towards the likes of Spangher stems from.

I understand why we’re not a ‘destination club’ and struggle to bring in big name players, but this shouldn’t be relevant to off-field appointments to be honest

Isn't the reason we dominate in the midfield and therefore inside 50 numbers because we push our half-forwards flanker(s) up to the contest to gain an extra number there? This gets highlighted pretty much every week. So doesn't that also mean we're an extra man DOWN in the forward 50, essentially? Not sure how much success you guys are expecting us to have in a 5 v 6 (or a lot of the times 7) when the majority of the midfielders delivering the ball in couldn't put a marble up an elephants ******** from 6 inches.

Sure there's elements of the forward line we can improve, just as there's elements on every line we can improve, but I don't see Spangher as THE issue.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back