Review Dogs choke the life out of The Eagles

Remove this Banner Ad

It will be interesting to see where the ladder lies after round 10 because right now our double ups are against the entire top 4 plus the Cats who haven’t lost yet (as well as Norf).
Who gets the eagles twice? Seems like a 4 point gift for those sides.

Good win by the boys. Pleasing to see good performances from youngsters Sanders, Gallagher , Buku West and Darcy.
English was very good around the ground as usual , less so in the ruck.
I thought it was the best that the three “key” forwards, Naughton, JUH and Cody worked together this season. Good to see.
Richards has to come back in , so someone will be unlucky to miss out. Maybe Poulter with Baker back to sub.

I
Watched VDM closely. Some characteristic skill errors etc but the guy works seriously hard. Probably needs to quickly improve the attacking side of his game if he is going to be a long term fixture but his defensive effort is strong.
Have been a massive critic of VDM. He played his best game ever IMO today.
He still panicked with the ball and coughed it up. But I could never question his endeavour which is really good

Good win by the boys. Pleasing to see good performances from youngsters Sanders, Gallagher , Buku West and Darcy.
English was very good around the ground as usual , less so in the ruck.
I thought it was the best that the three “key” forwards, Naughton, JUH and Cody worked together this season. Good to see.
Richards has to come back in , so someone will be unlucky to miss out. Maybe Poulter with Baker back to sub.
Really like the run Baker gives us. Duryea for me. Poulter was good as sub.

Well done on your victory .
Did Bontompelli get tagged?
Or spend alot of time forward?
Both. Plus a niggle.

Ended up with the most goals and tackles on the ground so not bad for a 'managed' game

AFL.com listing Bailey Dale among our best – thought he had an horrendous first half.

Low-key shout out to Doc – what he lacks in pace he makes up for in smarts. Was a leader back there for us today.

Sanders and Gallagher look like seasoned players. Early days (and sub-standard opposition) but great signs.
Dale was better in the second half

Absolutely selfless today. Contests, knock-ons, dummy leads, blocks.
It won't look like it on the stats sheet but that was an outstanding game today
He played a selfless centre half forwards game today.

It's no surprise that him playing up the ground resulted in us getting a nice spread of goal kickers today.

For better or worse he's such a ball magnet when played deep. One that we tend to use the get out kick of putting it on top of his head and hoping for the best. This predictability tended to draw a crowd and made scoring that much harder if he didn't mark it.

Today may've been what they were working towards when they ran him for stints through the middle of the ground. During the pre-season. It seems to me that for the most part the combination of JUH, Lobb/Darcy and Weightman is enough marking power deep in attack. This is especially so with JUH innate understanding of Leading pattens deep in the forward line in comparison to Naughtons reliance on brute force and marking power.

Why we went into our shells and didn't do this against May and Lever in round 1 is a question for another time.

He played a selfless centre half forwards game today.

It's no surprise that him playing up the ground resulted in us getting a nice spread of goal kickers today.

For better or worse he's such a ball magnet when played deep. One that we tend to use the get out kick of putting it on top of his head and hoping for the best. This predictability tended to draw a crowd and made scoring that much harder if he didn't mark it.

Today may've been what they were working towards when they ran him for stints through the middle of the ground. During the pre-season. It seems to me that for the most part the combination of JUH, Lobb/Darcy and Weightman is enough marking power deep in attack. This is especially so with JUH innate understanding of Leading pattens deep in the forward line in comparison to Naughtons reliance on brute force and marking power.

Why we went into our shells and didn't do this against May and Lever in round 1 is a question for another time.
As it stands, I'm quietly hoping Round 1 was an aberration and Round 2 is the new normal. We learned a little bit today, not too much but a little bit.
We'll learn a lot about this group next week. Playing a bogey side, in Adelaide

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As it stands, I'm quietly hoping Round 1 was an aberration and Round 2 is the new normal. We learned a little bit today, not too much but a little bit.
We'll learn a lot about this group next week. Playing a bogey side, in Adelaide
I think the thing that we had reinforced today is that if allowed to play the game we want we can be a pretty good side. The flip side of the coin is that everybody knows this.

3 things that were absent in round one that really grinded my gears were apparent today.

The run from behind to create an option(s)

Players always leading at the ball carrier creating options.

Not crabbing it around the boundary. When we were on the boundary once we made it to the wing we looked to square the ball of hit the leading player at the edge of the square.

Sure, we were playing an historically bad team that wasn't at full strength. But it gave us an indication of why we wanted more speed in the side and what it could do.

Anyways...Im looking forward to testing ourselves against Geelong away from their sausage shaped bulldogs graveyard.

Still doesn’t sit right with me that he is unvaccinated! I’m worried about the safety of other players on the team.

NSW Police Commissioner hasn’t allowed any officers back into the force that weren’t compliant.
Love it. Good on him for standing his ground. 🏆

Again nowhere near direct enough with the ball, 421 disposals, 140 marks but only 51 inside 50s. You’re just not going to score against decent teams moving the ball like that.
Felt a few times we were fair too hesitant to pull the trigger when we had options available. Often we’d have a switch available but rather than switching in 2 quick kicks, we’d go for 3 medium/short kicks to cross it over, in which time Eagles could transition.

Another example was Dale kicking out of defence in the last quarter, he had Macrae and Bont open 40m away. He indicated that he’d switch and ran 10m before making the kick, but by running that 10m he’d sold it to the opposition who he was kicking to and it resulted in Macrae being spoiled. If he just went for the kick at the start, we would’ve had an easy entry into our forward line.

Bramble’s a bit different and will just go, there’s no hesitation, he’ll take it on and provide us with quick ball movement rather than stop and go. Outside of Ed we’d really missed that since prime JJ (who has been excellent so far this year too)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back