Preview Cats v Doggies Sat April 6th 810 pm @ AO - Gather Round

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why does everyone want to rest Hawkins? He stated how much he loved the short breaks between games in 2020 with little training in between, just playing the (albeit slightly shorter) games.

We don't beat Footscray without him in the lineup this week.
We have never rested Hawkins; he generally does the least gut running on the team anyway, it would be silly.

Why do we need to manage kids? They’re young elite athletes. Conway is 20 years old off a full preseason… oh no a 5 day break cry me a river. Old man rant over.
Because if they don’t have the same musculature as a fully grown athlete, then they are liable to serious injury, especially later on in their careers.

Sports science and load management has gone absolutely leaps and bounds in the last 20 years and as a result we are seeing many, many more 300 gamers than ever before.

What was keeping Parfitt frozen out all this time? He's looked awesome this past 2 weeks. Just hungry?
Really enjoying him in the team playing this week. His tackling pressure has been great.

Play. Bowes. In. The. Midfield. For. The. Full. Game.
I reckon his versatility both helps and hinders him. He's going to find a spot on pretty much any bench we pick, but he also won't get a great run in the middle, because Clark, Atkins, Parfitt and Bruhn don't really play that well anywhere else.

Is Stanley injured, as suggested after last week's game? or was it simply managing workload and giving Conway a run against Hawks?

This will probably be the determining factor on whether Conway plays this week more than anything. Although if Stanley isn't fit, I wouldn't be opposed to just playing Blicavs against English if need be.

Is Stanley injured, as suggested after last week's game? or was it simply managing workload and giving Conway a run against Hawks?

This will probably be the determining factor on whether Conway plays this week more than anything. Although if Stanley isn't fit, I wouldn't be opposed to just playing Blicavs against English if need be.

Blitz is still needed as a mid/stoppage player while Danger and Guthrie are out, IMO, so I'd definitely be playing one of Stanley or Conway.

Really enjoying him in the team playing this week. His tackling pressure has been great.
2 weeks in a row. May it continue indefinitely; it's what we expected and hoped for when Selwood retired

I reckon his versatility both helps and hinders him. He's going to find a spot on pretty much any bench we pick, but he also won't get a great run in the middle, because Clark, Atkins, Parfitt and Bruhn don't really play that well anywhere else.
I agree, but I just like to reward performance and keep selection integrity.

He was superb in the pre-season, and looked more than comfortable as soon as he came on.

8 touches in a quarter is pretty impressive, and the fresh legs element was mitigated a bit by the long break.

I've loved Clarks promise and think he'll be a player, but I wouldn't mind managing him this week and giving Jack the full game in the guts against a mature Dogs midfield.

Just feel like he's ready to become the player we hoped he could be. Our only list hole is a player in that 26-30 range really taking the game by the scruff of the neck, and I think he deserves a chance to prove he's that player.

In: Bowes

Out: Clark

Mannagh/Touhy come in as sub. Conway if he's sore comes out from Stanley in all likelihood, but that feels 50/50 right now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Blitz is still needed as a mid/stoppage player while Danger and Guthrie are out, IMO, so I'd definitely be playing one of Stanley or Conway.
You're probably right.

But if Stanley can't play and they're concerned about Conway backing up, I'd be content with it. It would also allow Bowes to come in and play full-time as a mid as well which I like.

You're probably right.

But if Stanley can't play and they're concerned about Conway backing up, I'd be content with it. It would also allow Bowes to come in and play full-time as a mid as well which I like.
Always difficult to read, but Stanley was on the boundary before yesterday's game moving freely and laughing with others. Made me think he was being rested against Hawks because of the 5nday turnaround for the Bulldogs game

Our barely-better-than-VFL team matched them for 3 quarters last year (without Hawkins, Blicavs, or Cameron) when we had nothing to play for and they had to win to get into finals. We also beat them earlier in the year without Hawkins and at Marvel. Feels like we just match up pretty well with them so expect us to give this a good shake, if not get the 4 points.

Interesting thoughts from Gerard Healy:

The Cats next meet the Western Bulldogs in Gather Round and following that clash, host 16th-placed North Melbourne at GMHBA Stadium. Should they win both, Geelong will be 5-0 and needing to record maybe just seven wins from 18 games to qualify for finals.

Although I do think 13 wins was the minimum for finals last year, I agree; win the next couple of games, and the season is set up well.

1st Q I think. Went for a mark, came down and rolled it. Slow Mo replay on TV. Was on the ground clutching it.
All fine the rest of the game, but how it comes up after it cools down is the question.
Not sure if he was on the bike keeping it mobile during the lightning break or not, that may be an indication.

During the lightning break, Hawkins & Cameron went to the tea room to make coffee & keep warm

Only possible changes I can see involve Tuohy and Mannagh coming back in and Bowes getting a full game.Will just depend on recovery. Who might not quite get up.

Don't reckon Mannagh will get his spot back for a while. Did quite a few non-Geelong things in his last appearance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back