Preview Cats v Doggies Sat April 6th 810 pm @ AO - Gather Round

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, absolutely they do.

But I guess it depends what umbrella you put management of player loads under. It seems like you're saying because of better diet, training & recovery we can push player loads higher. I'm saying that managing player loads and 'better sport science' that you list are actually one and the same. In saying that, I can understand the frustration sometimes when it's so early in the season and there's talk of resting players. But fatigue is a long term thing so it's better to manage it preemptively before a bigger issue arises than later.

Let's put it this way, if it weren't for our management of player loads throughout the 2022 season (along with good training, diet etc.) I doubt we win the premiership that year.
dont get me wrong, I have no issues clubs doing player load management. it was a general comment that the young fellas can prob play bit more early in the year and leave the load manage to the older blokes

Last edited:
I reckon his versatility both helps and hinders him. He's going to find a spot on pretty much any bench we pick, but he also won't get a great run in the middle, because Clark, Atkins, Parfitt and Bruhn don't really play that well anywhere else.

I agree with that. Hes probably the ideal spare parts sub in some ways.

I think he’ll be part of a broader squad that will be rotated. Having missed playing on the weekend though, he will need to play a full game at some level.

Bc theres no vfl game this weekend its probably better that a couple of guys that missed last week play the afl game, to keep the miles in the legs (ie mannagh and tuohy).

me wrong, I have no issues clubs doing player load management. it was a general comment that the young fellas can prob play bit more early in the year and leave the load manage to the older blokes
They may be able to play more. But I'll back in the collective intelligence of the Geelong Cats' medical and conditioning team to have a better idea of what's good for our players than anyone on this forum.

You definitely sexy. You definitely a hunk. But you definitely wrong, sexyhunk.

They may be able to play more. But I'll back in the collective intelligence of the Geelong Cats' medical and conditioning team to have a better idea of what's good for our players than anyone on this forum.

You definitely sexy. You definitely a hunk. But you definitely wrong, sexyhunk.

believe it or not, that was the best name i thought of 20 years ago when I joined this forum :D

Bad form all of last year
Also came back to preseason out of shape according to various reports. Probably was a case of a more satiated hunger post-premiership - it happens, particularly for a young guy on the fringes. This stimulus has really helped him find his potential, albeit for two games so far this year. Danger did tell us btw...

Don't understand this talk about managing young players, if fit they play.
Horses for courses everyone’s conditioning needs will be different , I’ll back the club to mange the players effectively

It’s a 5 day break so I can see the need for it if it’s warranted and if there are any sornesess…I don’t see conditioning as a age thing

Horses for courses everyone’s conditioning needs will be different , I’ll back the club to mange the players effectively

It’s a 5 day break so I can see the need for it if it’s warranted and if there are any sornesess…I don’t see conditioning as a age thing

Especially when they're going to play a big part this season and going forward. No risks should be taken.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the dogs will beat us here. With the short break and that dangerous midfield I can’t see us getting up.

Will be 4-1 at the end of next week after we surely account for North which is still a great position.

I tend to agree. And if someone offered me 4-1 at the start of the year, I would have snapped their hand off.

The short break will not be an excuse this early in the season.

They always say multiple 6 day breaks are much more problematic than one 5 day break.

The Bulldogs always struggle with how we set up. A loss here against a 6-10 side be very disappointing on neutral territory (though Danger is a big miss).

i get that on a 5 day break, just a general comment, we round 3 in and we talking about rest for fit young players
He's 19 years old.

19 year olds don't wear the hits of AFL footy as well as 24 year olds. They don't have the size, the core stability, their joints aren't used to it yet. You see it when really young teams start to hit the end of the season - for example, our thrashings of Gold Coast and Melbourne in 2011.

The short break will not be an excuse this early in the season.

They always say multiple 6 day breaks are much more problematic than one 5 day break.

The Bulldogs always struggle with how we set up. A loss here against a 6-10 side be very disappointing on neutral territory (though Danger is a big miss).
100%. We just had a 10-day break before the Hawks game. Pies and Dons cop this a lot for Anzac Day. I've seen many impressive games / performances from those sides over the years, regularly off the back of only a 4-5 day break depending on what day Anzac Day falls.

We've played 3-games of footy and just had 10-day's break between Crows and Hawks games. Modern conditioning and sport science; we will back-up fine and for those very, very sore - they will be left out. We have depth and the best coach in it.

I think some are overrating the Dogs. We have heard time and time again the last few years how elite their midfield is, hasn't led to any success though has it? Their star midfield couldn't get them a finals gig last year.

They will beat us in the middle, but we will win the ball back via turnover and their defence can't go with our forwards. Too much scoring power here - Cats by 3-goals at least IMO.

We will be up for this.

Don't understand this talk about managing young players, if fit they play.
Workload management has been one of the major steps forward in sports science over the last couple of decades - and, partially as a result of that, we see more and more players managing to play well into their 30s at a very high level.

Remember guys like Steven King and Leigh Colbert playing week-in, week-out in key positions at Geelong as young kids? Both of them broke down at age 25, and were shadows of their former selves before hanging up the boots in their very early 30s. Then, there's all the other clubs' litany of tall marking forwards who were shot ducks by 30 - Brereton, Templeton, Capper, etc.

Do you remember Buddha's last couple of seasons at the Cats, especially his final year? It was sad to watch - the guy basically had no knees left, and was playing on courage alone - not the way for a great career to end. He was 32.

Dangerfield is now 34 and still playing very good footy. Mitch Duncan is 32 and was close to BoG last week. Hawkins is about a million and seven. That's why you wrap players in cotton wool while they are still growing.

We have had some patchy wins against 3 lukewarm teams.
I think the fresher dogs in neutral territory will be a better test of where we really are, although they are not exactly setting the world on fire.

Dees v Pies QF last year - Dees had 69 I50 to Pies 37.

32 more entries. Dominated the midfield battle but we all know what happended.

A bit of pressure, good defensive structures and good coaching - you can win games of footy when dominated by the opposition midfield.

We have had some patchy wins against 3 lukewarm teams.
I think the fresher dogs in neutral territory will be a better test of where we really are, although they are not exactly setting the world on fire.
True! The Eagles actually won clearances against the Doggies and only just lost contested possessions lol. They have only beaten the Suns and the Eagles. Both supporter bases will be looking to this game to learn more about our teams, though I'm not sure there is much to learn for either group win or loss here.

footy these days, a 20 years old man need two weeks of rest after playing a game of footy...
Manage Clark given he had stress fracture issues last year and missed the year because of it..

Rest him any time he needs it thx

Go Catters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back