List Mgmt. Welcome Harley Reid (Pick 1, 2023 National Draft)

Remove this Banner Ad

That's 2 weeks in a row he's almost single-handedly changed the momentum of the game (or to steal a Dwayne term been the "firestarter") for us.

You could see the whole team lift around him when he broke that tackle to set up the kick to Darling for our first goal, and then when he kicked the 2nd goal himself.

It's very very Judd Iike

Watching his evolution from the preseason matches to now is extraordinary, can't think of any player who has had a similar trajectory. Even Judd, whilst really impressive in year 1, didn't radically improve from week to week. Harley is picking up stuff in a few weeks that it takes most kids years.

He has gone from 'I can't handle the pace of a preseason game/can't shrug AFL strength players' to 'here are some good highlights' to 'ok I'm a handy burst player ' to 'I'm an elite midfielder and if you try and tackle me I'll laugh at you' in the space of 6 weeks. But the one thing which has been consistent throughout those games is the natural self belief and desire to take the game when he has the ball- even in the preseason games when he hadn't figured out how to impact contests or beat AFL level tacklers that mentality stuck out.

What I thought was jawdropping against Richmond is he's now not just shrugging tackles, he's using the fear that aspect of his game creates to sucker people into giving away free kicks - opposition mids are going at him super hard because they don't want to end up in the background of a highlight reel and he's using the classic shuey arm lift to exploit over aggressive tackling and get high frees. That is something most mids take 150+ games to master and he's doing it in Rd 5 of his first season.

Every so often a player comes along with top tier physical gifts- much much rarer is that + a natural football brain and extreme self confidence. That combination is where once in a generation players come from, and that's Harley.
Getting to play with and learn from yeo, as Keys Mentioned must be awesome.
But i wouldn't underestimate the training sessions with one of the best to never win an AA.
The this is how to be a sneaky prick sessions with boots, may have helped snag a high free or 2 yesterday.
Our veterans may be a bit past it, but they still have plenty to teach.
Obi wan yeonobi.

There's a weird conventional wisdom that gets reeled out by the media whenever they talk about west coast's list at the moment - that we should have traded our veterans (Yeo, Gov)

That's madness to me. Watching Reid bond with & learn from Yeo is immense.

Even players like Gaff - the game's passed him, but the knowledge, professionalism and standards he sets is invaluable for young players to learn from.

Also is trading all your veteren stars a list strategy that even works? Certainly didn't work for North or Hawthorn.
This is why we always bounce back quicker than most clubs. Hope it works again this time. Watching Yeo and Reid dominate is so exciting. If we traded Yeo we would have been 15 clearances down yesterday.

This is why we always bounce back quicker than most clubs. Hope it works again this time. Watching Yeo and Reid dominate is so exciting. If we traded Yeo we would have been 15 clearances down yesterday.
I’m sure Sam McClure would have nailed pick 26 getting a contested beast for us.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm on the rewatch. Just came here to say Reid has a serious man crush on Yeo. After Yeo kicked that second goal Reid was so pumped up

I’d say he’s more jubilant than Masto.

I Reckon he’s the first to celebrate with the goal kicker more often than anyone else in the team.

Clearly Harley is a talented player and a driving force in the club, in many ways.
An excitement machine that spurs on the players and the fans, at such an early stage.
I hope we are building a core of good players that can surround Harley and contribute as well.
So we're not just a one trick pony club (no disrespect to Harley), thinking of Judd, Cuzz, Kerr days, when we had Cox, Embley, Hunter, Braun, Wirra, Glass, Banfield, Lynch, Waters, Chick and the rest...or Lycett, Lecras, Kennedy, Hurn, Schofield, Jetta, Redden, Rioli, Hutchings, Vardy..and the usual suspects still around.
Another couple of msd's and trade/drafts periods and sh* could get real exciting!

I’d say he’s more jubilant than Masto.

I Reckon he’s the first to celebrate with the goal kicker more often than anyone else in the team.

I knew he was a real team guy coming in, but being at the ground yesterday, this stood out for such a young player.

So, so many times it’s on his mind to go to our players that have been tackled / bottom of packs and pick them back up and give them a little bit of encouragement. Really impressed by these little aspects of him generally getting around the guys. He’s either got a big smile after some good play, or he looks like he is going to kill the opposition. Loving his on field leadership in keeping positive and on the front foot. The swagger meter has been up from the get go

Last edited:
So many little things during yesterday's game, but I really liked the passage of play out of the middle where he burns off Nankervis.

Shows he's not afraid to back himself in and take players on, even those bigger and with more experience than himself.

Watching his evolution from the preseason matches to now is extraordinary, can't think of any player who has had a similar trajectory. Even Judd, whilst really impressive in year 1, didn't radically improve from week to week. Harley is picking up stuff in a few weeks that it takes most kids years.

He has gone from 'I can't handle the pace of a preseason game/can't shrug AFL strength players' to 'here are some good highlights' to 'ok I'm a handy burst player ' to 'I'm an elite midfielder and if you try and tackle me I'll laugh at you' in the space of 6 weeks. But the one thing which has been consistent throughout those games is the natural self belief and desire to take the game when he has the ball- even in the preseason games when he hadn't figured out how to impact contests or beat AFL level tacklers that mentality stuck out.

What I thought was jawdropping against Richmond is he's now not just shrugging tackles, he's using the fear that aspect of his game creates to sucker people into giving away free kicks - opposition mids are going at him super hard because they don't want to end up in the background of a highlight reel and he's using the classic shuey arm lift to exploit over aggressive tackling and get high frees. That is something most mids take 150+ games to master and he's doing it in Rd 5 of his first season.

Every so often a player comes along with top tier physical gifts- much much rarer is that + a natural football brain and extreme self confidence. That combination is where once in a generation players come from, and that's Harley.
Reid's evolution is just a pleasure to watch and his body is no where near where it will end up. His ceiling is the one his mind will construct.

I'm liking how our players are feeding him more uncontested ball. Still got his 12 contested possies with 7 clearences, but 14 uncontested possessions because they were actively using him. This helps protect his body in the short to medium term and makes sure he learns to spread and gets rewarded for it.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back