AFL Player #31: Zach Reid - Reports of a shoulder injury in the VFL - 2/6

Remove this Banner Ad

Is there another sport so plagued by soft tissue injuries as AFL?

Can’t think of one….and when they do happen they seem to be treated easily enough. How many soccer players have careers seriously impacted or even ended by persistent soft tissue problems? Feels like a lot less common than in AFL (haven’t researched it).

Assume the issue is the unique combo of power running, endurance running, huge playing field, 360 degree environment requiring rapid changes of direction/acceleration and kicking requirement.

If anyone ever cracks the code on how to seriously reduces instances they’ll get very rich!

If you don't follow other sports closely you probably miss it. Hell, even with AFL we're barely aware of what happens at other clubs unless it's a high profile player or some kind of gruesome injury.

For example in the 2023-2024 season in the NFL;

• 23 Achilles injuries
  • 52 ACL's
  • 219 Concussions

How many of the above are people aware of? Aaron Rodgers Achilles injury was probably the most high-profile NFL injury of the season.

Any idea what the comparative stats are?

NFL has the great scenario where match payments are so high and the players are constantly doped up on pain meds that they have 0-1 week hamstrings.

If you don't follow other sports closely you probably miss it. Hell, even with AFL we're barely aware of what happens at other clubs unless it's a high profile player or some kind of gruesome injury.

• 23 Achilles injuries
  • 52 ACL's
  • 219 Concussions

How many of the above are people aware of? Aaron Rodgers Achilles injury was probably the most high-profile NFL injury of the season.

NFL fantasy players know these stats well. If you look up the date of those injuries it's usually the week after they are drafted to your team. ;)

NFL has the great scenario where match payments are so high and the players are constantly doped up on pain meds that they have 0-1 week hamstrings.

NFL fantasy players know these stats well. If you look up the date of those injuries it's usually the week after they are drafted to your team. ;)
So like my Super Coach team.

So like my Super Coach team.

One year we did a draft super early before training camp for some reason, my mates top 3 picks went down with ACL/Achilles and some other incident, before season started.

One year we did a draft super early before training camp for some reason, my mates top 3 picks went down with ACL/Achilles and some other incident, before season started.
I have stopped playing but it got to the stage where I would not pick Essendon players as half my side was getting injured. Not that it stopped our blokes from getting injured.

Is there another sport so plagued by soft tissue injuries as AFL?

Can’t think of one….and when they do happen they seem to be treated easily enough. How many soccer players have careers seriously impacted or even ended by persistent soft tissue problems? Feels like a lot less common than in AFL (haven’t researched it).

Assume the issue is the unique combo of power running, endurance running, huge playing field, 360 degree environment requiring rapid changes of direction/acceleration and kicking requirement.

If anyone ever cracks the code on how to seriously reduces instances they’ll get very rich!
A lot of martial arts have a high soft tissue %.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

• 23 Achilles injuries
  • 52 ACL's
  • 219 Concussions

One thing to remember about NFL though is there are 32 teams wirh 52 players on their game day roster, plus another 23 for their practice team

They would have more injuries from a raw stats perspective by virtue of how many players there are.

Please get better so we don't have to sit through Laverde playing KPD more than we need to
Tough school Yoda_ thought he was pretty solid tonight.
You know. Obviously. Ignoring the not so great back pass to a stationary player. Who fell over. But the kick was too short anyway… ignoring that. Solid when we were under fire.

Tough school Yoda_ thought he was pretty solid tonight.
You know. Obviously. Ignoring the not so great back pass to a stationary player. Who fell over. But the kick was too short anyway… ignoring that. Solid when we were under fire.
Hard task master but hes the type of player whose filled a role for us but its time to upgrade to the next level since we have a guy cooking in the twos (ok, not fit but you know what I mean)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back