Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency XII - 💰💰💰

Remove this Banner Ad

I know ive said we have had great depth in the midfield for a while and we do

But LDU as a FA end of 2025 has to be a priority. Ive rated this guy extremely highly for a while and alot of non fans say we have a middle of the road side but not many true stars outside of Zerrett

Regardless a FA of this quality without having to give up draft capital is huge

Small forwards and HBF maybe of greater priority but we can still use top end draft picks on them or see what other FAs are around in that space

2026 Side:

Mcgrath - Mckay - Ridley (N.Cox)
Redman - Z.Reid - Martin

Z.Merrett(30>31) - Parish - Duursma (Tsatas)
N.Bryan/Draper - LDU - Durham (Hobbs)

Caldwell - H.Jones/Stringer - Perkins (Davey)
Caddy - 2MP - Langford

Is an elite side in a great age demographic

I think Durham and most certainly LDU would move past a 28 yr old Setterfield

Z.Merrett can play outside of the onball division in a year hes turning 31

Weve still kept 1st round picks for 2024 and 2025 that would be on the list in reserves based on this

I would really like us to recruit an elite ruckman somehow, someone who can dominate the opposition ruckman without needing two rucks picked each week.
How many flags were won with one genuine ruck? I can think of 2, 2017 and 2010

How good would an elite &/or dynamic small (marking) forward be?

Bobby Hill and Jamie Elliot had chances to dominate us today, imagine if we had that instead of Alwyn Davey and...
Mate they kicked 2 between them.

I would really like us to recruit an elite ruckman somehow, someone who can dominate the opposition ruckman without needing two rucks picked each week.
Grundy. Rucks all day . Too bad we already had our number one ruck . Could have had him for a song . 😎
Hindsight reply I know 🙂

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bobby Hill won a Norm Smith and Elliot has been one of the premier small forwards for a decade
Yes but you used today as a reference.

Teams have been pretty successful that have had the big name free agents

Usually LDU type would cost a top 5 pick (See Hopper and Taranto who arent as good)

So paying saying 1 mill a year means you not only get LDU but you keep that top 5 pick in this example

We’re getting to the stage where some trades of very good players going out will make sense. You can take LDU as an FA and trade out someone. Hobbs? Parish? Setterfield? You end up with a better midfield plus more promising kids. Just hope we keep Baldwin as the chairs get shuffled.

If everyone is fit some good players aren’t getting games. By the end of the year we should have selection pressure everywhere except small forward (where I personally see Tex W as the guy most likely to succeed in the next 12 months)

Pressure small forwards and an elite distributing half back to free up Martin are the two obvious needs. I’m relatively comfortable with our stocks in pretty much every other department.

Key defence is also a slight issue but once Ridley and maybe Reid return it will look a heap better.

Pressure small forwards and an elite distributing half back to free up Martin are the two obvious needs. I’m relatively comfortable with our stocks in pretty much every other department.

Key defence is also a slight issue but once Ridley and maybe Reid return it will look a heap better.
Yep these are the two areas we need to address. Caleb Daniel would be a great pick up given he is languishing in the VFL.

I'm salty that McCartney didn't allow Bobby Hill to come to Essendon. We were in the mix for Bedford, Stengle and Hill the last couple of years. What could have been.

I can't think of anyone available because Shai Bolton is not leaving Richmond to come to Essendon. He'd go to WA if anywhere else.

Yep these are the two areas we need to address. Caleb Daniel would be a great pick up given he is languishing in the VFL.

I'm salty that McCartney didn't allow Bobby Hill to come to Essendon. We were in the mix for Bedford, Stengle and Hill the last couple of years. What could have been.

I can't think of anyone available because Shai Bolton is not leaving Richmond to come to Essendon. He'd go to WA if anywhere else.
The lack of size puts me off. And he can’t play the lock down small spot. I’d rather target Cumming from GWS

Ryan Burton dropped. Get into his ear immediately.

We’re getting to the stage where some trades of very good players going out will make sense. You can take LDU as an FA and trade out someone. Hobbs? Parish? Setterfield? You end up with a better midfield plus more promising kids. Just hope we keep Baldwin as the chairs get shuffled.

If everyone is fit some good players aren’t getting games. By the end of the year we should have selection pressure everywhere except small forward (where I personally see Tex W as the guy most likely to succeed in the next 12 months)

Not having a go, but every fan of every team says/thinks this.

Our emergencies over the weekend were two teenagers and a utility who hasn't played a game of AFL nor VFL since round 2. I know you said 'by the end of the year', but we'll have the same amount of injuries then as we do now.

If we're throwing money at anyone, it should be for a genuine star small forward - both on the goal kicking and pressure front.
Unfortunately, the list of those around the league is pretty rare, and even more so when you start thinking about actually obtainable.

It was the right move to go after Rankine a couple years ago, although that would've cost a pretty penny assets wise.

But genuinely, you look at the best ones:
  • Charlie Cameron: Not moving
  • Cody Weightman: Would have to be unlikely to move
  • Jack Higgins: I was surprised he's only 24. Unlikely, but ask the question.
  • Tom Papley: Despite early career rumours, unlikely.
  • Bobby Hill: Obviously not anymore. I wasn't as keen as other at the time a few years ago, but clearly would've been a good get.

The only one to that sort of level that could become available is Stengle. But Geelong has been fantastic, in fact perfect, for him as a career move. I can't see why he'd leave.

Jacob Konstaky is the one we should be well and truly into imo. Not sure how he’s been performing in the reserves but looked really good in his draft year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back