Opinion Who Do We Want As Our Next Coach

Remove this Banner Ad

Optimistic Dog

Premiership Player
Oct 11, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
With Bevo obviously gone who do you want next. The broad choice is a first timer or a recycled coach. I would go for a first timer. Michael Barlow would be my choice an impressive speaker, did well at Werribee and made the most of his career as a player after being overlooked for a long period. Is an assistant at North this season after a lot clubs were chasing him for the role.

Last edited:
Put together a panel who know what they’re doing to run a comprehensive process to make the appointment. Need to find the next Kingsley/Macrae

1 Justin Leppitsch
2 Leon Cameron
3 Michael Barlow

Without knowing the willingness of them wanting to be senior coach my short list would be Cox, Carr and Leppitsch.

Carr is looking like the next port coach, Leppisch may be more comfortable in his current role out of the main seat and Cox may prefer to stay up in Sydney.

We also need a new midfield and forward coach just as badly.

I’d happily welcome Gia back whenever Bevo moves on. Definitely want someone young and untried, that can build this side back up again and start playing an exciting brand.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Steven King and get him to get Joel Corey back as midfield coach

1 Justin Leppitsch
2 Leon Cameron
3 Michael Barlow
I'd put Matty Boyd on that list, we need bulldog and team culture in the worst way.

Then a semblance of a tatical footy plan with options for mid game changes when the moment arrives.

I turnedoff last night when the TV zoomed in bevo, He looked utterly lost.

I’d happily welcome Gia back whenever Bevo moves on. Definitely want someone young and untried, that can build this side back up again and start playing an exciting brand.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Will mean we'd have to move on alot of the people behind the scenes, alot of bridges burned there.
Either way I'm not keen on an ex dog as coach and deffinetly not one who has coached us before, would prefer an outside voice.
Steven King and get him to get Joel Corey back as midfield coach
Probably the only one I'd welcome back.

I really hope we don’t drag out long gone ex coaches Weekend at Bernie’s style to take over from Bev.

If rather keep Bev for the next 10 years than see the Leppitchs, Buckleys and Cameron’s of the world leading the club.

This list needs a pivot away from Bev’s self-help book of the week style. They’ve become soft as butter over the last few years. We also need someone in tune tactically with how the game will be played over the coming years. Bev’s trying to adapt but it seems to me the game has moved in a direction that is inconsistent with his core ideas. As a result, both the playing style and the individual players look confused.

A big chunk of the leading assistants have history with us (Hansen, King, Gia, Monty…). Of those without prior links to us, Skipworth and McQualter seem thereabouts. It’s almost impossible to speculate from the vantage point of a fan. We really have NFI who might be good.

This list needs a pivot away from Bev’s self-help book of the week style. They’ve become soft as butter over the last few years. We also need someone in tune tactically with how the game will be played over the coming years. Bev’s trying to adapt but it seems to me the game has moved in a direction that is inconsistent with his core ideas. As a result, both the playing style and the individual players look confused.

A big chunk of the leading assistants have history with us (Hansen, King, Gia, Monty…). Of those without prior links to us, Skipworth and McQualter seem thereabouts. It’s almost impossible to speculate from the vantage point of a fan. We really have NFI who might be good.
the theory was maccas hard contested style set us up for 15/16 , but since that we've morphed into bevos mold of weak soft group of players

FWIW - Mick Malthouse has suggested Josh Carr - currently at Port Adeliade

I’m a fan of Buckley as a bloke but the way his time at Collingwood ended strikes me as very similar to the way Bevo is going now. Think both were too focused on the man management and personal development side of things possibly to the detriment on the football development and tactical side.

Also wouldn’t touch Cameron with a 10 foot pole after seeing that Amazon documentary a few years back. Destroyed Coniglio as a player who instantly was back to his best under Kingsley.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back