Oppo Camp Non Geelong football (AFL) discussion 2024, Part I

Remove this Banner Ad

I’ll just be happy if BT and Dermie just retire …it’ll be such a moment of celebration
Jeremy Renner Endgame GIF

Say it ain't so. The weeks model does nothing!
Brought in to placate fans over inflated hubris. Flogs who think they matter.

Very arrogant comment- You dont want to take your paying supporters for granted

I can remember Brian Cook ( yes he did do alot of good things ) when the Cats were right at their peak , and he said , look if you want to have the privilege of watching Geelong train , then guess what you have to make a gold coin donation to the club, what an absolute joke and insult

I enjoy watching and barracking for the Cats - but historically alot of AFL Clubs have the attitude that you posted and i bolded

I can remember Brian Cook ( yes he did do alot of good things ) when the Cats were right at their peak , and he said , look if you want to have the privilege of watching Geelong train , then guess what you have to make a gold coin donation to the club, what an absolute joke and insult

I enjoy watching and barracking for the Cats - but historically alot of AFL Clubs have the attitude that you posted and i bolded

It's something they tried only once
  • members gain free entry to watch training
  • non-members were asked for a gold coin donation
  • gifts on offer for all who attended

We get people complaining about how members should have more benefits, but when they tried something like the above they received mixed feedback - so no win at times when trying different things

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not coming from an arrogance POV.
Coming from a privacy viewpoint.

IMO we as fans, the football media and the broader public should not be entitled to a player or any GFC staff member's medical information. This is a hill I am willing to die on as it is something I feel very strongly about.

You wouldn't like if I sourced, found and then published in the paper - maybe even a front page spread - your medical ailments, that of your kids, wife etc. Why should AFL players be excluded from receiving the same rights to privacy? Or as I assume is the case, waive their rights in their player contracts for just this purpose.

My view comes from a career within the Australian Postal Corporation and I take people's privacy rights very seriously. Medical information is no different in that regard to personal details or addresses.

IMO we as fans, the football media and the broader public should not be entitled to a player or any GFC staff member's medical information. This is a hill I am willing to die on as it is something I feel very strongly about.

You wouldn't like if I sourced, found and then published in the paper - maybe even a front page spread - your medical ailments, that of your kids, wife etc. Why should AFL players be excluded from receiving the same rights to privacy? Or as I assume is the case, waive their rights in their player contracts for just this purpose.

My view comes from a career within the Australian Postal Corporation and I take people's privacy rights very seriously. Medical information is no different in that regard to personal details or addresses.
But Art, you need to consider the gamblers! Who is going to inform the gamblers?????

I will never understand why people feel the need to be told how long a player will be out for.

A player has 2 possible statuses - available or unavailable. We get told definitively every week at the selection table which of these statuses a player falls into. Why do we need more than that? How does knowing anything more than that impact anyone’s enjoyment in following the Cats? I just don’t understand, can someone please explain it to me?

Seems like we should be pretty happy that our game up there was played in that crazy rain & we walked away without a knee injury ourselves

Have we had an ACL injury in recent times? The most recent one I can remember is Aaron Black in 2018.

Have we had an ACL injury in recent times? The most recent one I can remember is Aaron Black in 2018.

I think you’re right with Black from our AFL list

I know we’ve had a couple from our AFLW list who’ve done their ACLs unfortunately

I will never understand why people feel the need to be told how long a player will be out for.

A player has 2 possible statuses - available or unavailable. We get told definitively every week at the selection table which of these statuses a player falls into. Why do we need more than that? How does knowing anything more than that impact anyone’s enjoyment in following the Cats? I just don’t understand, can someone please explain it to me?
Players deserve their privacy it’s clear as ****ing day and has been said for years that people only want this information for SuperCoach or gambling purposes

I’m really really over the bitching and sense of entitlement over this issue with no consideration towards the players

This is one of the all time worst takes. Just completely bereft of anything other than pure "come at me bro" rage bait.

In the same show though he did absolutely nail the assessment of the dogs situation.

He defaults to angry so when the correct answer is angry he is accidentally correct

What a load of utter Craap

They aernt undertaking a course of Chemotherapy for goodness sake

You take other sports like the US Golf - a couple of years back Brooks Koepka had a bad wrist injury , so under your nonsense philosophy , fans, supporters , fellow players , and commentators are not allowed to ask him , how his wrist is and when do you think you will be back hitting practise balls and will you be right to play in the then upcoming US Masters , no because of privacy no one is allowed to ask him that - ha , what a joke

Same deal with Jason Day before a USPGA Major , had a lingering back ailment , again under your view/ proposal , no one is allowed to ask him because of privacy - utter nonsense

Remove this Banner Ad

Back