Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

I would happily trade English, aggression is innate, you have it or you don't.

Even Meek smashed English, he plays like he is afraid of contact. Unsure if that is a litany from his concussions, which I could totally understand..

Get what we can for him, move on..
Ironically it was a guy named Meek who flogged him this week

Yeah fair point - you might be right. Do you reckon cash him in for picks / players and rebuild around Darcy

Depends on what you can get for him and what price you need to pay fro keep him. Yep sitting on the fence.

I would like to see a grunt ruck with either English or Darcy playing second ruck and causing havoc around the ground

My biggest grudge is we never played Sweet and English together for a long period.

Sweets record for games played and wins at his time at the Dogs (yes small sample) at least warranted a trial of the above

The worst moments of my week, every week, are boundary throw-ins and stoppages around the ground.

I’m not even joking. When my daughter pisses on the floor, it’s more enjoyable than watching the ball get thrown in or up.

We can add Lloyd ****ing Meek to the ever growing list, which so far also includes Stanley, O’Brien, Pittonet, Lycett, Ladhams, Conway.

Last edited:
The worst moments of my week, every week, are boundary throw-ins and stoppages around the ground.

I’m not even joking. When my daughter pisses on the floor, it’s more enjoyable than watching the ball get thrown in or up.

We can add Lloyd ******* Meek to the ever growing list, which so far also includes Stanley, O’Brien, Pittonet, Lycett, Ladhams, Conway.
Watching opposition transfer from deep in their own defensive 50 to about 70 metre from their goal, without any pressure whatsoever rivals this.

Genuinely the worst zone defence in the comp. ****ing infuriating.

Watching opposition transfer from deep in their own defensive 50 to about 70 metre from their goal, without any pressure whatsoever rivals this.

Genuinely the worst zone defence in the comp. ****ing infuriating.

See my post as to why I reckon it happens. At least we stand the mark now 😂

If the rumours about Busslinger are true, get him in there and tell him not to go within 20m of his man. Rack up 40 intercept marks if he can.

If he’s going to go best he looks like a star. We might be able to use the compo to help us find some mids.

with everything going on with liber we’ve gotta keep smith now. we’re gonna be shagged once treloar is gone if we don’t.
Agree keeping Simth would be our best outcome. Another year into Sanders, a full preseason as Mid for Richards, keep Baz, and a prime Bont, then a mid recovery might be more possible than it feels right now.

Agree keeping Simth would be our best outcome. Another year into Sanders, a full preseason as Mid for Richards, keep Baz, and a prime Bont, then a mid recovery might be more possible than it feels right now.
I think he’s gone but you never know

Gotta try keep him as we have put time into him , area of the ground that is thin and we have been patient
You’d think any kid with a decent manager would say to him Jones isn’t getting any younger, Keath is cooked, Gardener isn’t it and Buku and JoD are inexperienced and there is a spot there for him very soon

Especially with Cleary and Freijah developing nicely as half backs, we might be able to afford having Richards in the midfield

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Somehow this idea that someone who has bigger muscles in the ruck contest would win us more games (even though our bloke with smaller muscles helped us win the clearance count 44 to 28 and pushed forward and kicked 2 goals himself) is ridiculous.

Ok, this has been bugging me and I’ve been very active on the moronic Bulldogs FB forum trying to talk sense into the morons who are calling the club to cancel their memberships. Our list is full of holes and we are currently running with a very inexperienced line up in a number of key areas. The club know this, Bevo knows this - its just the media constantly saying we have a top 4 list thanks to Bains trying to appease the restless masses after the end to last year and the review.

Not sure if you’ve noticed, but today the narrative has started to change to say our list isnt a top 4 list and the anonymous list managers have said so. Racetrack Ralphy had a tweet yesterday that said we were the 10th favourite for the flag pre round 1…funny odds for a guaranteed top 4 list.

Anyway, a quick glance at Footywire and these are players in the 22 (or just out / emergencies)

Clarke - first game (subbed due to being way off it / nervous)
Darcy - Key Fwd / Ruck 14 games (had injury interruptions)
Gallagher - 8 games
Sanders - VFL 6 Games (sub affected)
JoD - Key Back / Interceptor - 16 games (injury interrupted pre season / season with concussion)
Buku - Key Back / Interceptor - 18 games
Poulter - Wing 23 Games
JUH - Key Forward - 51 games (missed two games due to family issue, first game back)
Baker - Wing 38 Games
West - Forward (SUSPENDED) 44 games
Bramble - Half Back 38 games
Garcia - Mid / Fwd - 22 Games

I’ve always subscribed to the theory that players (other than Bont) don’t really start to have meaningful impact until they have played 40 plus games depending on position. It takes time to learn the game plan, feel comfortable in executing it etc.

Have a look at that list - even if you think Baker and Bramble are list cloggers, they still aren’t even at 40. And they’ve come from other sides where they have had different structures / game plans etc.

Look at the backline - TWO defenders under 20 games - not even a full season of experience and one of those with a disrupted pre season.

West was suspended - we all agree while he’s shown flashes in previous games prior to this season still hasn’t even hit 2 full seasons of experience. We missed him.

Darcy - Key forward and second ruck - 14 games FFS. The kid will be a star but he has to put on some muscle and gain experience. He’s arguably better in the ruck that English - at least he has a dip.

Then you have Clarke, Gallagher and Sanders for a total of less than 14 games between them due to the use of the sub (a technicality but fair)

And Garcia - a possible future mid with 22 games. One season and he’s had an ACL before and before this year limited exposure.

Finally JUH 51 games. 2 seasons. Even if he is the messiah, its not fair to put pressure on him - look at Tom Hawkins for a previous example of the s**t they hung on him in his early days.

Sure we have some “a” graders Bont, Libba, Naughton, Jones, Treloar and English at a stretch as he’s so poor in the ruck it hurts us but that does not position our list as a top 4 list. If you can’t see that what we have is a work in progress, then I can’t help you. Sure Bevo makes some wacky decisions, but I’m prepared to back him in to get the best out of this group.

Remember we are missing Bailey Smith out of this team and Macrae has lost his mojo as have some of the supposed senior players like Williams

Interested on anyone else’s comments on this assessment as it’s just my opinion, but i think it shows why the club is backing Bevo and saying it’s too early to make rash decisions. Cue Bevo getting sacked after we lose to Richmond 😂
Just on West, he is a forward, not a middy. With him it is quality over quantity, he is not that accumulator type imo, having watched his career in afl thus far.

What is more, he is a gun forward. Goals + direct assists, he is a creator. He can also take a mark.

Somehow this idea that someone who has bigger muscles in the ruck contest would win us more games (even though our bloke with smaller muscles helped us win the clearance count 44 to 28 and pushed forward and kicked 2 goals himself) is ridiculous.
Because weve been so good with English as the no.1 ruck?? 2 years of racking up stats and occasionally having an impact on the result. Gimme an honest battler on 1/3 the wage anyday.

I've read a lot of posts on this thread with great interest. I'll throw in my 2 bobs worth.

From a list perspective I think our bottom 6 to 8 players aren't good enough and let down the whole squad. We lack leg speed from the wings and our backline is brittle to say the least.

But what is being missed and ignored is our lack of football identity and structure. That's down to coaching and in a way culture. I watch us and we are at times utterly lost and we rely individual brilliance to lift us.

Our problems are structural, cultural, coaching and the list.

I've read a lot of posts on this thread with great interest. I'll throw in my 2 bobs worth.

From a list perspective I think our bottom 6 to 8 players aren't good enough and let down the whole squad. We lack leg speed from the wings and our backline is brittle to say the least.

But what is being missed and ignored is our lack of football identity and structure. That's down to coaching and in a way culture. I watch us and we are at times utterly lost and we rely individual brilliance to lift us.

Our problems are structural, cultural, coaching and the list.
List is the least of our problems in my view.

The suggestion that our bottom 6 players are horrendous compared to other clubs doesn’t stack up, considering we continually land in the top 6 or so clubs at VFL level (top of the table currently).

Revolving door selection policy, dog shit zone structures and random positional changes (Ed Richards being the latest one) make up a huge chunk of our problems. Which has ultimately triggered the cultural crisis you speak of.

Our lack of tough role players that might not be the most skilled players but provide great contest and great pressure work is really visable right now.

List is the least of our problems in my view.

The suggestion that our bottom 6 players are horrendous compared to other clubs doesn’t stack up, considering we continually land in the top 6 or so clubs at VFL level (top of the table currently).

Revolving door selection policy, dog s**t zone structures and random positional changes (Ed Richards being the latest one) make up a huge chunk of our problems. Which has ultimately triggered the cultural crisis you speak of.

Our lack of tough role players that might not be the most skilled players but provide great contest and great pressure work is really visable right now.

I think it stacks up from a team perspective rather than a list perspective. Because whilst our VFL team does well how often are we calling for player X or player Y to play who is killing it at VFL level but instead we had a Baker or a Gowers or a McComb playing instead.

How many times have we had players played out of position like mids as forwards.

Thats why our bottom 6 are horrendous compared to other clubs because we generally choose the bottom 6 or choose someone not good enough to get a game in their natural position in another position which means there impact is bottom 6 and horrendous

Remove this Banner Ad

Back