Preview Round 9, 2024: Hawthorn v St.Kilda - UTAS Stadium, Launceston - Saturday 11th May, 1.45pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's fair enough. Personally I don't see the two as separate. I think attitude and how one plays the game are absolutely linked.
If you see them as separate issues, then that's fine...it's a difference of opinion. We're probably not going to find common ground, which is also fine.
There's probably countless other things we would.
We just disagree in this instance.
Yep

Hawks are missing Lewis and Chol this week but do get Breust back who tore Webster apart last time out (from memory? 5 goals?)

If we don't beat them then we'll have to face some harsh truths especially since we're almost at full strength now
And don’t write off Gunston. He could attract Wilkie and allow others to do some damage. Or, he could get into the mix himself. Is Sicily an out? Cooper’s nemesis?

Everyone has faced adversity. It's not unique. How one deals with it, and whom one has around them at the time...ie. environmental factors is what's important.
It's a professional game. They have everything in place to succeed and get the best out of themselves, which also involves how best to cope with criticism and form slumps.
It's all catered for.
If they want it is another question.
And, for mine, a fair question to ask.

It’s a shame we don’t have a really reliable punisher forward. Collingwood have Mihocek and Jamie Elliott that turn half chances into high probability shots. All of our forwards apart from Sharman seem wayward or unreliable. Butler on a snap is okay and Membrey was at one point but his output has dropped.

I think Dow as sub for an injection into the midfield in the second half make would make for a good gradual return. Plus, he could still play Sandy the next day depending on when he's subbed in. Henry has to come in, Hastie and probably Byrnes out (should be Phillipou though).
P.S. Even an out of form King is so important for our structure and the rest of the forward line, it shocks me that so many can't see that.

It’s a shame we don’t have a really reliable punisher forward. Collingwood have Mihocek and Jamie Elliott that turn half chances into high probability shots. All of our forwards apart from Sharman seem wayward or unreliable. Butler on a snap is okay and Membrey was at one point but his output has dropped.

Foreward Weapons...we need em.

Much focus has been on the lack of midfield talent and used as the reason why our forward line doesn't perform but it's become clear we lack a level of talent in our forward line also. Symptomatic of a club going through a fairly hard rebuild really and still needing some luck with recruiting over the next 2 or 3 years.

Fritsch...his head annoys me, has Scotch College vibes written all over him 😆
But man, he can play.
(Almost like...he wants it 😉)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If a dozen touches is what's classified as enough then he hasn't reached a dozen in a month, has kicked 1 goal in a month, kicked 1 behind in a month. The 1 behind indicates he's not getting near it, 5 tackles in a month.

I get the argument that you learn more at the top level but I don't think it applies here, is he learning more standing in the packs at AFL or learning more getting more volume of possessions, shots, clearance work etc at VFL and then applying that to afl
He is out of form , has to be dropped - no big deal Michael Tuck played close or over 100 seconds games.

My take of Phillipou is the kid is burnt out - it must be remembered the kid is 19 and after 2 yrs in the system they are trying to turn the kid into a elite running machine and the preseason has most probably sucked the best out of him.
Hope it's not true , but expecting everyone to be able to run like Darcy Wilson is not on.
Hopefully he can recuperate in the 2s and get his elite touch back.

Everyone has limits , Dangerfield and Fyfe are far from being elite runners and have fitness and touch to be champion AFL players.

He is out of form , has to be dropped - no big deal Michael Tuck played close or over 100 seconds games.

My take of Phillipou is the kid is burnt out - it must be remembered the kid is 19 and after 2 yrs in the system they are trying to turn the kid into a elite running machine and the preseason has most probably sucked the best out of him.
Hope it's not true , but expecting everyone to be able to run like Darcy Wilson is not on.
Hopefully he can recuperate in the 2s and get his elite touch back.

Everyone has limits , Dangerfield and Fyfe are far from being elite runners and have fitness and touch to be champion AFL players.
Right now, it feels like something less than what Ben Long was giving us up forward. The odd flash. Long was more prone to give away a free. Pou is more prone to being stripped of the ball. But can the coaches call, 'failed experiment?' (And I mean that in the sense of 'Let's play the young champ regardless') It is not saying Pou is a dud. Far from it. It is saying that the decision to play him each and every game in the starting 18 (note: how many times interchange or sub?), that decision, failed. ? How can they recover respect from that juncture?

The thing with King for me is he's just not naturally an alpha. When he tries to play that role, it seems forced.

He needs to play to his natural strengths.

In my opinion his body language DOES need to improve.

Regardless, our delivery inside 50 is often woeful. It's certainly not helping him.

I think the coaches need to shoulder some blame.

Fritsch...his head annoys me, has Scotch College vibes written all over him 😆
But man, he can play.
(Almost like...he wants it 😉)
Like he's entitled to it, you mean?

Important to remember not everyone can get 30 a game. Playing in the forward line you’re gonna have games where you struggle to get near it.
It’s not an excuse but it is a difficult position, Especially as a young kid it’s easy to lose your confidence and touch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back