Toast “Mark LeCras wins flag, you know what happened next”

Does Lecca call it quits?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Hard know what is accurate but on one site it credits Pav with an average 2 goal a game. Given that he was Freo’s greatest and probably only key forward, great effort from LeCras to do the same
Great player 200 plus games averaging better then two goals a game is elite for a small forward . Very few in that class. I wish him a happy retirement.

One of my most vivid memories from the GF is as Bunga and Simmo are getting the cup, the rest of the players are off to the side losing it, and Lecca looks exactly like your dog looks when you get home from being out all day and start walking towards the back door.

Please sign him.as.forward strategy slash kicking coach

I really believe rioli.amd Ryan
Benefited from having lecras in the forward line.

Third all time leading goal scorer for West Coast that's something to hang your hat on after 31 seasons in the league

The guy was a legend and I think he played hurt a lot more than what we realised. He's made the right decision though and I admire the fact that he's put the team first instead of eeking out another year for the coin.

Really got the most out of himself or his whole career not overly tall not particularly Great Leap not particularly a great Runner not particularly great at anything really bar finding the big sticks and that's the skill you just can't teach

One of my most vivid memories from the GF is as Bunga and Simmo are getting the cup, the rest of the players are off to the side losing it, and Lecca looks exactly like your dog looks when you get home from being out all day and start walking towards the back door.
The dive across the pack by Lecca the instant siren sounded got Kennedy unaware in a headlock need a gif .

Some wonderful tributes to the great man.

One of the best players to lead to as mentioned before but on that front you couldn't beat the other no.2 Dean Kemp on left or right out of the centre, wouldn't have minded leading to Jarrod Schofield in his day either, beautiful kick.

Some wonderful tributes to the great man.

One of the best players to lead to as mentioned before but on that front you couldn't beat the other no.2 Dean Kemp on left or right out of the centre, wouldn't have minded leading to Jarrod Schofield in his day either, beautiful kick.
Schoey had that bullet style kick.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Nic Nats tribute to Lecca, love his reply to the offer of taking over the #2

View attachment 576038

This is as good a place as any to put this I guess. I watched the whole replay last night of our 1992 GF win. Very interesting from several points of view.
1. the game is much better now, despite the outcry of too much rule tampering. The dirty cats were going for their head shots - Pyke koed by an elbow from dirty Ablett. Brave coming on later to see out the game. That would not happen now. Tim Mcgrath had elbows flying.
2. Never appreciated Langdon as a footballer before - gutsy in knocking the ball out from the bottom of packs to Evans and co.
3. Jako rucking at 192cm.
4. Dean Kemp was sublimely skilled and should have won the Norm Smith medal despite Matera's 5 goals. He was no bigger than a twig, but boy was he a player. Fitting that he handed the cup to Simmo this time round.
5. the commentary was even - no vic bias - no stupid ego tripping by media personalities like we have now.
6. the 2018 win was a much greater spectacle, and a far more meritorious victory, albiet the 1992 team also had to come from 4 goals down.

Anyway, to ram home Nik Nat's point - Dean Kemp reigns in the no. 2.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was Don Scott calling the game? There was definitely bias back in those days, and that campaigner was the worst of the lot.

It was Dennis Cometti and Ross Glen dinning - Bernie Quinlan was boundary rider, and Don Scott was around the place - cannot remember what he was up to.
Another thing that surprised me was how young that 1992 premiers side was - lots of baby faces among them.

The more I think about it, the more clear it is that this season was pivotal to going out the right way. Obviously he won a flag and it's great to go out on a high. But also, if he'd retired a year ago after an ordinary season, he wouldn't have been remembered the right way. He would almost have been regarded, unfairly, as a guy who went a year too many. But now, he goes out knowing he could probably go another year again, but it's probably the right time to finish, even if there is some more gas in the tank. He gets cheered off as a winner, having bounced back and contributed, as opposed to people thinking "yeah maybe overdue". That makes a huge difference and he deserves to go out on a high. Bittersweet to see him finish but I think that tells us that it's the right move.

So sorry to see Lecca pull the pin - he was always one of my favourite players and at his peak was just sublime. He's gone out at the right time for him and wish him all the best in whatever path he now chooses. I'm sure Lecca's thinking "I did it my way":thumbsu::)

Sad to see him go, had a great career though and an amazing way to finish it off.

Has anyone checked on CM9000 ?
Hope he is alright - the likes have really dried up :).

I'm fine, just needed to spend a couple days locked in my room crying after LeGod retired.

Life will never been the same without him playing.

It was Dennis Cometti and Ross Glen dinning - Bernie Quinlan was boundary rider, and Don Scott was around the place - cannot remember what he was up to.
Another thing that surprised me was how young that 1992 premiers side was - lots of baby faces among them.
And I also recall Sandy Roberts with his famous 'and Matera sets sail for home!' moment in the box.

Incredible forward at his heights, before losing a touch of pace and kicking distance due to an ACL, then marking strength and accuracy from a chronic wrist issue. Perhaps robbed him of a couple hundred goals when all was said and done.

He probably also sacrificed scoring opportunities by spending a great deal of time up the ground on a Wing/High HFF, when our midfield desperately needed assistance.

Nonetheless, Lecca remained a consistent, classy contributor and goal-kicker for many years, whose iconic footy IQ was on display during our GF win. Must have taken everything to produce those defensive efforts against much younger and fresher bodies, considering an excellent first half of the season had tapered off somewhat. As a player who was ocassionally unfairly criticised for being selfish, he's come as far and sacrificed as much as any Eagle out there.

He was probably a bit 'banged up' having carried our forward line/whole team through some rough times whilst the list transitioned. Was a truly special player who gave us a reason to believe there was hope in our future (along with Tim "crazy subtle angles" Houlihan).

LeCras gave everything and when we thought he might rather be fishing in recent times, he helped our young forwards and chimed in himself to win that elusive flag.

Cheers again, legend. Enjoy the rest, but come back and help coach our forward line soon...

Yes, people forget how the bulk of his career was spent wallowing through
the Eagles "Era of Self Implosion with Dubious Coach", left out of the 2006 GF, then
for 12 years he was often a shining light in our darkest times.
Candiru and Jiggyman summed it up well. He deserved more...and thankfully got it!
Will miss that cheeky grin after slotting one!

Back