Lifestyle "1983 Redux Zeitgeist Surf School"

Remove this Banner Ad

Changing Melbourne Files:

438275725_7523273144429372_8148761938384935354_n.jpg Acland St, St Kilda 1970's.
Once the Council stopped the through traffic and made it into a mall they killed it.
Acland St closed on the 8th of August 2019.
Ever since they have thrown money at the problem via 'Art projects' and half hearted incentives for the traders, to try and revive it, all have failed.
The insistent interferance with basic infrastructure of Councils, who think they can engineer areas without consideration to practicalities and civic functions, both actual and historical, generally fail because people will not willingly be engineered by authorities.
Intentional management of 'we know what is best for you' is often met with defiance and the fact that people can decide for themselves and do. They go elsewhere.

Last edited:
View attachment 1982534Acland St, St Kilda 1970's.
Once the Council stopped the through traffic and made it into a mall they killed it.
Ever since they have thrown money at the problem via 'Art projects' and half hearted incentives for the traders, to try and revive it, all have failed.
The insistent interferance with basic infrastructure of Councils, who think they can engineer areas without consideration to practicalities and civic functions, both actual and historical, generally fail because people will not willingly be engineered by authorities.
Intentional management of 'we know what is best for you' is often met with defiance and the fact that people can decide for themselves and do. They go elsewhere.
Great photo.

When did they change it to a mall?

Hunter St mall in Newcastle was a great success in the 70s and 80s, but once they built massive suburban shopping centres like Kotara it killed it. I was there just on two years ago on a Friday at around 5 and you literally could have fired a cannon down the mall and not hit anyone. It's a ghost town and a sad end to what was a vibrant place.

Pammy, we are at the tipping point for performance spaces here. Minimal pubs that allow live music in the city, one theatre in the city that isn't operated by the Festival Centre, and that one needs drastic remedial work.

We're in deep loads, but don't worry, we can watch overpaid tosspots drink booze from a shoe in the name of golf.
There was an ABC program last week on the imminent closure of one of Adelaide's pubs that was a venue for bands, 7.30 report(?).
Everywhere in Australia is being held captive to the dollar over culture currently.
It is laughable, that on the one hand money is spent on promotions for certain ratings of 'the most liveable' places, in order to sell both the real estate and the experience, while the places and experiences are steamrolled by the exploitation of the same.
Monoculture is winning, where every possible civic amenity is sold and the loved places, that have connection to life are packaged, sold and marketed. Everywhere becomes a point of sale alone.

Last edited:

Great photo.

When did they change it to a mall?

Hunter St mall in Newcastle was a great success in the 70s and 80s, but once they built massive suburban shopping centres like Kotara it killed it. I was there just on two years ago on a Friday at around 5 and you literally could have fired a cannon down the mall and not hit anyone. It's a ghost town and a sad end to what was a vibrant place.
Malls once worked when retail was individual businesses (that had historical capital) and the road circulation was unaffected (only standard grid configurations could cope with the re-direction of traffic).
The take over of retail, by the monolithic franchised shopping centres with the ease of parking changed 'High st' shopping, as did the buying power to offer cheaper goods.

There was an ABC program last week on the iminent closure of one of Adelaide's pubs that was a venue for bands, 7.30 report(?).
Everywhere in Australia is being held captive to the dollar over culture currently.
It is laughable, that on the one hand money is spent on promotions for certain ratings of 'the most liveable' places, in order to sell both the real estate and the experience, while the places and experiences are steamrolled by the exploitation of the same.
Monoculture is winning, where every possible civic amenity is sold and the loved places, that have connection to life are packaged, sold and marketed. Everywhere becomes a point of sale alone.
Yeah, the Crown and Anchor. Not my favourite pub, but one of a group of five or so in the east end of the city that had live music and a great artistic vibe. Of those five, one owner went bankrupt, one was crippled by the Salvation Army purchasing all the land around it and forcing it to close and one had to stop all live music due to complaints from residents of the massive tower that was built behind it. Lose the "Cranker" as it's known and there won't be many left in the city at all. My own beloved city pub is also under threat as another massive residential tower is being built next to it. It's shadow, even now, is stealing the sun. The owners, who I've been good friends with for more than 15 years, do have a pretty high media profile, which should help.

She always loved a little wee on stage......
Urban Myth perpetuated endlessly, that is beneath contempt and demeans her acheivements in a tough industry.

To quote her:
"In an interview with Andrew Denton in 2006 she was either unwilling or unable to deny the rumours: "I would squat, like some of the positions I would do. Just to taunt everybody I would squat.
"So many people swore they've seen me (urinate on stage) or swore I did all sorts of things on stage. I've got these legendary things and I can't remember doing them. I mean, maybe when I was all sort of carried away - and a lot of girl singers do by accident, by the way."
"Really?" asked Denton.
"Yes. I mean, physically, you know, and I was throwing myself around and drinking lots of water and everything and - is this all right? Let's get real. Right? I was pretty full on and feral and everything."

Conciously repeating this myth, whether true or false is a perpetuation of what any woman in the music industry has had to deal with when the same yardstick is never held to the men in the industry, it is purile and reinforces the trite stereotypes of patriarchy.

Urban Myth perpetuated endlessly, that is beneath contempt and demeans her acheivements in a tough industry.

To quote her:
"In an interview with Andrew Denton in 2006 she was either unwilling or unable to deny the rumours: "I would squat, like some of the positions I would do. Just to taunt everybody I would squat.
"So many people swore they've seen me (urinate on stage) or swore I did all sorts of things on stage. I've got these legendary things and I can't remember doing them. I mean, maybe when I was all sort of carried away - and a lot of girl singers do by accident, by the way."
"Really?" asked Denton.
"Yes. I mean, physically, you know, and I was throwing myself around and drinking lots of water and everything and - is this all right? Let's get real. Right? I was pretty full on and feral and everything."

Conciously repeating this myth, whether true or false is a perpetuation of what any woman in the music industry has had to deal with when the same yardstick is never held to the men in the industry, it is purile and reinforces the trite stereotypes of patriarchy.

You are right. I sincerely apologise.

View attachment 1982534Acland St, St Kilda 1970's.
I loved Scheherezade.

What a lovely day.

And a song from my latest teen year.

The whole album is an amazing time and place piece. In the Melbourne nightclubs that Pamcake1 has been posting about, there would be an audible shout of delight as soon as the first notes of ‘Blister in the Sun’ were played and the dance floor would immediately fill. People would be running to get there. I saw the Violent Femmes on their first Australian tour. They played downstairs at the Seaview Ballroom on 31st March, 1984 and they were fantastic.

Here’s the set list: https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/viol...ew-ballroom-melbourne-australia-23abdc77.html

Here’s the song they opened with:

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1715155000288.jpeg
Also out in March 1984 was this album. For a while there, the Stoneage Romeo T-shirt was ubiquitous on the pub rock scene. They seemed to be everywhere.

View attachment 1983068
Also out in March 1984 was this album. For a while there, the Stoneage Romeo T-shirt was ubiquitous on the pub rock scene. They seemed to be everywhere.
Now THIS is an album with great memories. I first saw them in 1981, frightfully underage, at the Belfield Hotel. I saw them about half a dozen times before I moved interstate. There was an amazing gig at the Miranda Hotel when after doing Gary Glitter's Rock and Roll as an encore, Clyde Bramley (to ensure the gig was finally finished) smashed his bass on stage. This enormous twang rang out and he stormed off. Freaking great night.

From Mr. Walker:

Weird Ways To Get Sacked At Record Stores in the late 80's / early 90's.

This is a further riff on the side hustles you get up to. I got a job at the Virgin Megastore not long after it opened via a friend, an ex-sharehouse buddy Peter Bukowski, a known Melbourne poet who also worked at Gaslight Records and knew that David Pepperell who was running the upstairs Jazz, Blues, World Music & Classical section was looking for staff. I already knew "Dr Pepper" as he was known from Readings in Sth Yarra where he used to work as it was a place I would frequent.

This is Peter Bukowksi - a wonderful human being:
1715153659177.png
Anyway I got the job and really loved it. I worked Friday nights, Saturdays and Sundays. Penalty rates were extra tasty as Virgin management seriously overpaid us casuals for the first 18 months and after they discovered the mistake - we didn't have to pay it back. :)

Used to get to play whatever I wanted and just chill and talk to customers. Anyway - I don't remember the (below) Faith No More Instore - I may have been let go by this stage, which I'll get to but I do fondly recall the Bon Jovi Inshore - as much as I hated and still hate this band.

It was on a Sunday and the plan was they were to play 3 songs on the back of a truck in Bourke St at noon and then come in an have some refreshments and food - quite a spread was laid on and then meet the staff informally before letting the fans in for autographs, etc.

Well what happened is I rocked up to work at the usual 10am and was told we wouldn't be opening for at least 3 hours. I wasn't sent home just was being paid to do nothing. Suited me fine. So by then there was already hundreds of teenage girls out the front which soon grew into thousands. I came in the backway - via Little Bourke St.

So long story short - way too many fans showed up, hardly any security goons were hired and the Cops said the songs on the back of the truck weren't gonna happen - too dangerous or something. Bon Jovi came in (and stayed for 20 minutes) via the back door, some of them asked for cardboard boxes and went around the store grabbing whatever they wanted. Mostly expensive box sets from my area. They had one beer and a prawn and left out the back.

There were still thousands out the front convinced BJ were still inside and were not going anywhere so staff inside were kinda in lockdown. We got to drink the left over beers and eat the hors d'oeuvres.

We didn't open and were sent home and paid for a full shift sometime around 6pm without doing anything all day. A blissful and hilarious day.
COME SEE & EXPERIENCE.png
Now to my dismissal. After working there for 2 years as a casual or maybe I was part time ? dunno but anyway I was told I had accrued quite a bit of rec leave and could apply for paid leave if I wanted. This is what I did - went on a 2 week holiday with my girlfriend.

Got back on a Friday and went into work to find Pepperell and his mate Johnny Topper standing there behind the counter looking a bit sheepish. Pepperell pulls me aside and tells me he's made some changes and Topper now has my job. Said he hasn't been happy with me for some time. I muttered something about nice to have been given some notice and said if he wasn't happy with me, he could have said something. He had all my pay owed ready for me (residual outstanding rec leave unused). Some years latter Dr Pepper told me that Topper was needing to put money together for a trip to the UK and he was just helping a mate out and it was nothing personal, etc.
Johnny Topper.png
I was soon re-employed in my new side hustle vocation up the road at Gaslight Records once again thanks to Peter Bukowski who was moving on up the road himself to work at Thomas' Music.
1715151853313.png 1715152511423.png

I lasted a couple of months - never worked on the famous "Nude Day" when if you came in nude you'd get a free CD.

Got fired after a conversation with owner Jeff Harrison about the band The Church. Now I need to state, I was employed for my knowledge of Jazz, R & B, Blues and Classical musics. So Jeff is playing The Church and asks me what I think. I say they're OK. He says "OK ?" So then I say - yeah, they're alright. "Alright ?" he says. Then goes on to tell me about what a genius Steve Kilby is. At the end of the shift he tells me he is letting me go because he didn't like my attitude re: The Church.

So, these are for Steve Kilby - who got me fired and who I still reckon is OK.

PS - I too loved Scheherezade.

PPS - Vale Iggy Jones.

The whole album is an amazing time and place piece. In the Melbourne nightclubs that Pamcake1 has been posting about, there would be an audible shout of delight as soon as the first notes of ‘Blister in the Sun’ were played and the dance floor would immediately fill. People would be running to get there. I saw the Violent Femmes on their first Australian tour. They played downstairs at the Seaview Ballroom on 31st March, 1984 and they were fantastic.

Here’s the set list: https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/viol...ew-ballroom-melbourne-australia-23abdc77.html

Here’s the song they opened with:

There was a fantastic coffee house in Kings Cross called Isa's which I occasionally frequented. I think it was built prior to the first world war an it had three stories and maybe two basements (god, it's nearly 40 years since I last went there, it was demolished in the 90s I think). It had a jukebox on each level with some of the most amazing stuff on it. I clearly remember hearing Gone Daddy Gone there for the very first time and my love affair with the Violent Femmes self titled album began. After all these years it's an album, like Stoneage Romeo's, The Pretenders second album and Frank Zappa's Sheikh Yerbouti that I can play over and over, sing at the top of my voice and get a cathartic release from.

Come to think of it, H&C's Human Frailty and Midnight Oil's Head Injuries are also on that list. And Never Mind The Bollocks.

View attachment 1983068
And another Hoodoo Gurus memory; they supported Lou Reed in 1984 in Newcastle at the Roma? theatre. I'd never seen half an audience turn up for one gig then leave and another turn up for main show. Reed was pretty average iirc.

From Mr. Walker:

Weird Ways To Get Sacked At Record Stores in the late 80's / early 90's.

This is a further riff on the side hustles you get up to. I got a job at the Virgin Megastore not long after it opened via a friend, an ex-sharehouse buddy Peter Bukowski, a known Melbourne poet who also worked at Gaslight Records and knew that David Pepperell who was running the upstairs Jazz, Blues, World Music & Classical section was looking for staff. I already knew "Dr Pepper" as he was known from Readings in Sth Yarra where he used to work as it was a place I would frequent.

This is Peter Bukowksi - a wonderful human being:
View attachment 1983254
Anyway I got the job and really loved it. I worked Friday nights, Saturdays and Sundays. Penalty rates were extra tasty as Virgin management seriously overpaid us casuals for the first 18 months and after they discovered the mistake - we didn't have to pay it back. :)

Used to get to play whatever I wanted and just chill and talk to customers. Anyway - I don't remember the (below) Faith No More Instore - I may have been let go by this stage, which I'll get to but I do fondly recall the Bon Jovi Inshore - as much as I hated and still hate this band.

It was on a Sunday and the plan was they were to play 3 songs on the back of a truck in Bourke St at noon and then come in an have some refreshments and food - quite a spread was laid on and then meet the staff informally before letting the fans in for autographs, etc.

Well what happened is I rocked up to work at the usual 10am and was told we wouldn't be opening for at least 3 hours. I wasn't sent home just was being paid to do nothing. Suited me fine. So by then there was already hundreds of teenage girls out the front which soon grew into thousands. I came in the backway - via Little Bourke St.

So long story short - way too many fans showed up, hardly any security goons were hired and the Cops said the songs on the back of the truck weren't gonna happen - too dangerous or something. Bon Jovi came in (and stayed for 20 minutes) via the back door, some of them asked for cardboard boxes and went around the store grabbing whatever they wanted. Mostly expensive box sets from my area. They had one beer and a prawn and left out the back.

There were still thousands out the front convinced BJ were still inside and were not going anywhere so staff inside were kinda in lockdown. We got to drink the left over beers and eat the hors d'oeuvres.

We didn't open and were sent home and paid for a full shift sometime around 6pm without doing anything all day. A blissful and hilarious day.
View attachment 1983255
Now to my dismissal. After working there for 2 years as a casual or maybe I was part time ? dunno but anyway I was told I had accrued quite a bit of rec leave and could apply for paid leave if I wanted. This is what I did - went on a 2 week holiday with my girlfriend.

Got back on a Friday and went into work to find Pepperell and his mate Johnny Topper standing there behind the counter looking a bit sheepish. Pepperell pulls me aside and tells me he's made some changes and Topper now has my job. Said he hasn't been happy with me for some time. I muttered something about nice to have been given some notice and said if he wasn't happy with me, he could have said something. He had all my pay owed ready for me (residual outstanding rec leave unused). Some years latter Dr Pepper told me that Topper was needing to put money together for a trip to the UK and he was just helping a mate out and it was nothing personal, etc.
View attachment 1983259
I was soon re-employed in my new side hustle vocation up the road at Gaslight Records once again thanks to Peter Bukowski who was moving on up the road himself to work at Thomas' Music.
View attachment 1983261View attachment 1983262

I lasted a couple of months - never worked on the famous "Nude Day" when if you came in nude you'd get a free CD.

Got fired after a conversation with owner Jeff Harrison about the band The Church. Now I need to state, I was employed for my knowledge of Jazz, R & B, Blues and Classical musics. So Jeff is playing The Church and asks me what I think. I say they're OK. He says "OK ?" So then I say - yeah, they're alright. "Alright ?" he says. Then goes on to tell me about what a genius Steve Kilby is. At the end of the shift he tells me he is letting me go because he didn't like my attitude re: The Church.

So, these are for Steve Kilby - who got me fired and who I still reckon is OK.

PS - I too loved Scheherezade.

PPS - Vale Iggy Jones.

Is that you on the left in the group photo?

Yes, Ignatius Jones was a law unto himself. They were a bit of a challenge to see live as (surprise surprise) they attracted quite an aggressively alternative crowd.

Is that you on the left in the group photo?

Yes, Ignatius Jones was a law unto himself. They were a bit of a challenge to see live as (surprise surprise) they attracted quite an aggressively alternative crowd.
No it's not me, I was asked to post this by Mr Walker as a favour so I did.

1715170606182.jpeg
A glass of beetroot borscht, yoghurt and boiled potatoes garnished with dill. Some of my happiest memories of St.Kilda revolve around Scheherezade.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back