AFL Player # 2: Sam Draper - Out for 6 to 8 weeks after knee surgery - 14/5

Remove this Banner Ad

i cant think of anything he does that is elite.....maybe other than the celebration stuff.

Not to knock him cos he's doing a decent job as the only capable ruckman on our list, but i can't imagine he breaks into the top 10 ruckman in the comp.
Elite haircut

Hes a different ruck to the rest. More in the NicNat mould

Limited stats but bigger impact

Thought his marking vs WCE was also very good on the weekend

Also touch wood but his durability is starting to be really good

Weve seen all Xerri, Hickey, DCAM, Witts, Nank, S.Darcy, Gawn, Ladhams, Stanley, NicNat, Pittonet get injured a fair bit

Huge test this week against one of the more under rated rucks of the last two decades. Todd Goldstein and his basketball background will ensure he tries to stay involved in the around the ground build up for North. Draper will have his work cut out to keep pace.

If injury concerns are true and he does pull out, then Phillips needs to at least break even, that goes a long way to winning one of the more key duels on Sunday afternoon.

Hes a different ruck to the rest. More in the NicNat mould

Limited stats but bigger impact

Thought his marking vs WCE was also very good on the weekend

Also touch wood but his durability is starting to be really good

Weve seen all Xerri, Hickey, DCAM, Witts, Nank, S.Darcy, Gawn, Ladhams, Stanley, NicNat, Pittonet get injured a fair bit
Reading about Crisp hitting 200 consecutive games prompted me to find out who is the current consecutive game holder at essendon and sure enough its draper with 44 games.

Next essendon players are Nic Martin (31) and Mason Redman (17).

Next ruckman is Sean Darcy (28) although he's injured now. Rowan Marshall on 26.

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk

Thought he had his best game ever against North relative to actual ruck craft - and against a quality tap ruckman in Goldstein.

Draper’s timing, jumping and open hand palming was superb this game.

Love to see it.

Was planned to be subbed out to manage an existing hip injury
As I see it:

1. he is playing injured and has lost his power and drive;

2. he drank his own bathwater and has been trying to ruck like Steve McKee, before that rule change that ended his career, with the aim of 10 pack busting clearances a game. This has blown up his timing completely because as good a tap ruck as he is, I don't know if his natural craft and guile is that good;

3. a coach thought 2 would be a good idea and it has had the same result.

He has been diabolical these last 3 or 4 weeks.

Judging from Scott's presser I dont think Drapes is playing this weekend. Will be interesting to see how we set up against Darcy/Jackson who are both in good form atm.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As I see it:

1. he is playing injured and has lost his power and drive;

2. he drank his own bathwater and has been trying to ruck like Steve McKee, before that rule change that ended his career, with the aim of 10 pack busting clearances a game. This has blown up his timing completely because as good a tap ruck as he is, I don't know if his natural craft and guile is that good;

3. a coach thought 2 would be a good idea and it has had the same result.

He has been diabolical these last 3 or 4 weeks.

Injured.

Looks like we’re going to give him another week.

Can I say this is the outcome I hoped for?

It should be easier to recapture his form.

It’s also the outcome that makes the most sense. I would have thought Phillips would have been dropped by now but he’s ample cover if we’re trying to nurse Draper through at the same time.

If Darcy doesn't play and it is a wet game its not the worst one for him to miss. Jackson isn't an amazing tap ruckmen so Phillips can hold his own. Might even be a good game to give Bryan a run around as the main ruck

Listed as 'test', likely to miss Perth trip

Remove this Banner Ad

Back