AFL Player # 2: Sam Draper - Out for 6 to 8 weeks after knee surgery - 14/5

Remove this Banner Ad

His ruck loads were reduced in R11 and R12, with others doing almost half the work. R12 he also got an extra bench rotation by the look of his TOG%. And then subbed out in R13.

Then you’ve got the bye and the Fremantle game so he’s had 2 weeks off presumably with not a lot of training, and then gone for scans and now they’re unloading him altogether.

Sort of interesting that whatever it was he could play through it, but to treat it doesn’t require surgery. If it’s something that can heal with rest then it’s most likely soft tissue…

This tweet from the Carlton game

It’s officially listed as tactical because he could’ve still played through it. But Scott said in the post match press conference that it was a hip issue that had been managed for a while already and they were taking the opportunity with the bye coming to get him right.

It’s officially listed as tactical because he could’ve still played through it. But Scott said in the post match press conference that it was a hip issue that had been managed for a while already and they were taking the opportunity with the bye coming to get him right.
Thanks for clarifying.

This reeks of bullshit

Not really. He was going liked a busted arse in the 3 or 4 weeks prior to that game.

I would have guessed an OP like injury because he had no power or strength. Watch how badly he trailed the west coast rucks to boundary throw-ins. That's not him.

Hip injury gets there in terms of his impeded physical performance.

It's not simple to put timframes on a stuff like this because it's not breaks and tears, it's inflammation of existing issues. The medicos assume the injury will settle but then it doesn't.

So he'll be right after the bye, wait...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not really. He was going liked a busted arse in the 3 or 4 weeks prior to that game.

I would have guessed an OP like injury because he had no power or strength. Watch how badly he trailed the west coast rucks to boundary throw-ins. That's not him.

Hip injury gets there in terms of his impeded physical performance.

It's not simple to put timframes on a stuff like this because it's not breaks and tears, it's inflammation of existing issues. The medicos assume the injury will settle but then it doesn't.
I'm not saying he's not injured, I'm saying the club is trying to hide how bad the hip is.

His ruck loads were reduced in R11 and R12, with others doing almost half the work. R12 he also got an extra bench rotation by the look of his TOG%. And then subbed out in R13.

Then you’ve got the bye and the Fremantle game so he’s had 2 weeks off presumably with not a lot of training, and then gone for scans and now they’re unloading him altogether.

Sort of interesting that whatever it was he could play through it, but to treat it doesn’t require surgery. If it’s something that can heal with rest then it’s most likely soft tissue…
I think it may be a hip flexor issue. Sometimes you can play through them. Other times they keep flaring up. They can be a real pain in the but , well Hip .

why is Drapers hip such a big secret ! ... that crap does not work in this day and age
Has it been a secret? I seem to recall Brad Scott mentioning it several times, several weeks before he was managed and then several times since. Just because they cant give exact time frame for his return?

Last edited:
why is Drapers hip such a big secret ! ... that crap does not work in this day and age
How’s it a big secret ? They’ve moreorless said he’ll missed for the next couple. Looks like it’s one of those injuries that doesn’t really have a certain time frame, rather they hope it heals up after a couple of weeks deloading. Not all injuries are clear cut x amount of weeks and you’ll be back.

Another week of de-loading, no rush
Still not running, still de-loading... and then loading back up next week.
The Bombers are in no rush to put a timeframe on ruckman Sam Draper’s return.

McPherson said Draper is still letting his initial hip injury heal before commencing any on-ground training.

“Drapes will have another de-loading week this week before we can hopefully start to build him back up from next week,” McPherson said.

I like the fact he’s being protected. If he plays with a hip injury he probs does more damage, he also probs under preforms and then the media roast him. Good long term vision by the club imo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back